Life's annoyances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life's annoyances

I have no desire to grow a beard but am finding myself increasingly annoyed by the daily routine of shaving. I now seem to be on an every other day shaving routine. My hair is light enough that this is fine for days I don't need to go to my office, but that blessing is also a curse since I would seriously consider electrolysis but am under the impression that electrolysis/lazer treatments work best for darker hair.

Ten years ago, I didn't even think about shaving; it was just something I did. Now, I hate it.

Life's annoyances

I reckon if you shave every day you think about it less.

Comment

Life's annoyances

Try waxing, then you will love shaving.

Comment

Life's annoyances

My position then. My position now.

Comment

Life's annoyances

You have to shave. Or you end up looking like someone who listens to Mumford and Sons whilst skateboarding to an artisan tea emporium.

Comment

Life's annoyances

If you're not cursed with early hominid facial hair, get an electric shaver.

Comment

Life's annoyances

I'm a convert to the Merkur, myself. Although I only really have to shave twice a week, so the extra preparation time required is actually quite nice. Hot water, a proper shaving brush, and this stuff.

Comment

Life's annoyances

TonTon wrote: I reckon if you shave every day you think about it less.
                I used to know a Benedictine monk who had an enormous beard and claimed it was because God wanted him to concentrate on weightier matters than mere appearances. He clearly spent far more time tending to and talking about his beard than he would have shaving each morning.

Comment

Life's annoyances

I’ve solved the problem by growing old, smoking too much and not sleeping enough. My skin is grey and my facial hair is grey. Nobody notices whether I’ve shaved or not.

Comment

Life's annoyances

My wife reckons I look better with a beard than without. Maybe it's one of those Boy George chins things.

It's easier trimming a beard once a week or so than shaving more frequently. Although the concept of beard oil seems a bit uncomfortably hipstery to me.

Comment

Life's annoyances

I use an electric razor. I had been fine until I moved to the midwest in the US, which has just been hell for my skin. I've cycled through various razors, most of which tear up my neck. I finally went to a shop near my apartment that is dedicated to shaving. (The guy's hours are about 4 hours a day 4 days a week. I can't think he's doing much business.) Anyway, he claimed that the most of the major products are outsourcing razor production and the only good ones are made in Japan. So I bought an Eltron from him. At first it was good but now it seems to miss a lot of spots. I probably need to replace the blades since I'm good about rinsing it and brushing out the hair.

In general, though, this daily routine is just not very enjoyable.

Comment

Life's annoyances

Do you have to shave daily? I can get away with every other day during the week and I don't bother on weekends. My beard is frighteningly grey, though, so I'm more inclined toward sorta-daily shaving than I used to be. Vanity, etc.

Comment

Life's annoyances

Crusoe wrote: My wife reckons I look better with a beard than without. Maybe it's one of those Boy George chins things.

It's easier trimming a beard once a week or so than shaving more frequently.
                          This — both paras. I quite liked wet-shaving everyday, it was both meditative and refreshing. But, hadn't done a beard since my mid-20s — a patchy pathetic thing it was too — I figured I should give it another crack at the back end of life, and it's way better. Partly because it's not very grey, which does tend to make me look younger, so I'm told. It gets trimmed just once a week, low-maintenance is another plus.

Comment

Life's annoyances

I am quite lucky in that I naturally grow a goatee so that all I usually need to do is shave my cheeks once a week and it is a fairly presentable neat beard. I haven't shaved at all for weeks and the side whiskers are ridiculously long but still fairly sparse. Actually, the main goatee is terribly unkempt as well but, you know, it's the school holidays and the wife is still seen out with me.

I have a beard because I really can't be be bothered shaving. I think the wife prefers it now as well. I quite like the weekly shave with the full boiling hot water and wet razor a la TG but just use soap.

Comment

Life's annoyances

I haven't shaved in about three weeks and you'd struggle to notice any hair. I consider this to be a good thing as I'd hate to have to do it every day, and am positive I'd look ridiculous with a beard.

Strangely the hair on top of my head is abundant, and when I let it grow (which I tend to, I only get it cut about every four or five months) it gets ridiculously thick. Funny how genes work, isn't it?

Comment

Life's annoyances

I am quite lucky in that I naturally grow a goatee
                                This is an interesting new definition of "lucky".

Comment

Life's annoyances

I only had to shave once every 2-3 days as a rule but found even that routine tedious... I decided to see what a beard might look like during our honeymoon (with the added bonus that it kept my face a bit warmer in the freezing gales around Iceland) and just got used to not shaving at all in those two weeks. My wife claimed to like it too , and still does to this day, so six years on I'm still sporting a non-hipster (no wax, no oil) beard, which alternates between neatly trimmed and pretty scruffy, depending on how often I can be arsed to trim it. Some grey patches are starting to appear too, which doesn't bother me really.

Comment

Life's annoyances

I can get to about 4 days without looking like a tramp's dog, and then it gets itchy, and I have to have it off.

Then I shave.

Comment

Life's annoyances

TonTon wrote:
                                      I am quite lucky in that I naturally grow a goatee
                                      This is an interesting new definition of "lucky".
                                      I quite like a goatee. I would like to grow a full Chris Bonnington on occasion but, for obvious reasons, not recently.

Comment

Life's annoyances

BoE: ?

Comment

Life's annoyances

Just shaved my beard off after six weeks. I keep not recognising myself in reflections.

Comment

Life's annoyances

Aren't you still the guy in the balaclava?

Comment

Life's annoyances

I got a new bally last weekend. It's luxurious.

Comment

Life's annoyances

EIM wrote: I got a new bally last weekend.
                                                Eric.

Photographed earlier this week -

Comment

Life's annoyances

danielmak wrote: I use an electric razor. I had been fine until I moved to the midwest in the US, which has just been hell for my skin. I've cycled through various razors, most of which tear up my neck.
                                                  Reportedly daniel, the trick there is to wash and moisturise first, then shave. It sounds odd and superfluous but it'll soften the skin of the neck and permit it to move and flex better to cope with the razor without the propensity to tear. I've tried it before now and it did seem to work. This is speaking as someone who hates shaving for similar reasons; both wet and dry can be fraught with nickery — my facial hair has an annoying habit of growing sort of sideways, so the grain goes to an extent from one ear around under my jaw to the other rather than neatly up and down, meaning all sorts of awkward areas.
                                                  I go through long spells (sometimes months) of just using a beard trimmer to bring it back to minimal stubble every few days, and because I'm fair and my beard growth is quite light — and appears to noticeably slow down when I don't wet shave regularly — this has almost the same visual effect from any distance as a proper shave at first and it takes a couple of days for anything much to show up.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X