Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredibly satisfying things

DUNK-CLACK-thuDMP

Just back from a welcome night away from the kids (thanks for the recommendation of Pendley Manor, Barndoorio). The hotel had a snooker room and everything.

It is such a great and satisfying feeling when you absolutely batter in a long pot. The emphatic jab of the cue and the sheer noise of the sequence of impacts cue-on-ball-on-ball-on-leather-on net followed by the unequivocal sense of success at a shot played well.

Indeed.

On Sunday I played my second round of golf this year (thus doubling my post-children annual average) and there really is nothing like the feeling of a perfectly-struck drive. When the right spot on the ball connects with the right spot on the club, you really aren't even sure you've hit it at all. But the ball has clearly launched in the right direction...not too high, and straight as an arrow...to land right where you'd just finished saying "now if I could just drop it right about there".

Comment

In traffic jams on dual carriageways or motorways, filtering past scores of silver BMWs and Mercedes that have aggressively overtaken me on my scooter not 5 minutes earlier.

Sorry for the near-schadenfreude of that one, but...!

Comment

Scooters on motorways is just wrong.

Comment

Would that be Pendley Manor in Tring, where I got married a year ago next week?

Comment

I was just thinking yesterday about how excellent a shower feels when you're really dirty. It's like being reborn.

Comment

HORN wrote:
              Scooters on motorways is just wrong.
              No.

Arseholes on any kind of road is just wrong.

(edit: not directed at you, Horn - just a general observation.)

Whilst on the topic, though, a few questions for the great and the good (drivers) of OTF:

a) What is the smallest cc of scooter/motorcycle allowed on a motorway? (Basic 'Highway Code' question in the multiple choice section of driving tests, that.)

b) What is the largest engine size (in cc) scooter on the British market today?

c) What do you think the top speed of my 125cc scooter is?

Interesting leveller re motoring general knowledge, this stuff, I find.

Comment

a) Probably 125
                b) is it about 800cc
                c) 65mph

My 49cc scooter has a top speed of 29mph on the flat (25mph uphill, 33mph downhill), today I had a Post Officce van driver say "What are you looking at?" to me after I gave him the eyeball for driving like a cnut.

Little did he know that I'm not intimidated lightly.

Comment

Yes, Eggchaser, that's the one. Barndoorio (I think it was he - maybe it was you after all) recommended it the last time I wanted to know where to take the GLW for a dirty weekend.

Very nice it was.

Comment

going to the osteopath and being 'released'. It's great.

Comment

You'll all think I'm a weirdo probably, but I find the sound of someone eating an apple incredibly satisfying. Much more than actually eating one myself. Which is weird, because generally other people making noises when eating is very unpleasant.

Also, the sound of wine being poured into a glass (and not just because it usually means I'm about to drink some wine).

Comment

PG can we take the obligatory "sink the pink", "kiss the brown" gags as read?

The glooog glug glug sound a wine bottle makes when the first glass is poured is cool.

Comment

The answer to my 'getting on my high horse' questions were as follows:

a) 50cc. Yep - you can ride a 50cc motorcycle or scooter on a motorway, so long as you've passed your full test! I wouldn't recommend it, though. It would be absolutely terrifying. In fact, I wouldn't recommend a 50 at all. I'm currently on a 110cc courtesy bike while my own one is being serviced and that is bad enough - really quite scary.

b) 800cc is correct, JtS - well done! The Gilera GP800. Actually, strictly speaking it's 839cc and it shares that engine with the Aprilia Mana 850, which is a fully automatic motorcycle. Between them (and the Honda DN-01), they call into question where scooters end and motorcycles begin.

c) Very close again, JtS. It actually does 72mph flat out. My previous 125 did 78. I'm not sure how fast these 125 sports bikes go - pretty fast, though. The point of me asking this was that I wondered what people thought 125 scooters can do and thus how fast one might be approaching them on the road ...as they are about to pull out from a side road. I think that the lorry driver who did exactly that to me when I was on a dual carriageway a few weeks back underestimated my speed considerably! (...and normally lorry drivers are the best drivers on the road.)

My restricted 600 scooter peaks out at 97 and does 0-60 in around 5 seconds, possibly less. Obviously that's great on motorways. :-)

[/high horse mode]

Comment

Comment

A really good poo.

Comment

Standing at the edge of a beach and letting the receeding waves wash the sand away from under your feet.

Comment

I know exactly what PG means, and having once driven the green while playing my only ever game of pitch and putt, I believe I can guess what WOM means. But I reckon that in the Wide World Of Sports, nothing beats middling a drive, and hearing that thwock as the ball hits the meat of the bat.

Comment

I don't think I made the initial reccomendation, but I have been there and it is nice so I think I backed it up.

I went for a corporate bash quite some years ago now. I witnessed the unedifying sight of senior management doing disco dancing and stripping off his top... yikes.

Comment

The ball pinging the underside of the cross bar, or the inside of the post, on the way in. Love it.

Comment

A nice glass or two of lager in a pub somewhere after you've finished work on a Friday and you're entirely knackered.

Listening to a bunch of CDs from the library and unexpectedly coming across a piece of music that's so good it's almost meaningful.

Horrid, I know, but a KFC or a McDonalds when you're out and about and utterly starving. A crappy Food Of Last Resort becomes Manna From Heaven.

Comment

Wild camping on top of a hill or mountain (or by the sea) - the moment one finishes erecting the tent and looks round, admiring the view as the sun edges towards the horizon, feeling a sweet breeze and knowing that what's left for the day is watching the sunset and sipping whisky.

Comment

The smell after breaking the seal on a jar of instant coffee (specifically Gold Blend).

Comment

Working...
                                            X