What could possibly go wrong?*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/04/indians-alcohol-prohibition-street-protests-tamil-nadu

* (Apologies, I couldn't think of a pun to head up this thread.)

I'm becoming quite anti-alcohol in my old age. The hyping of craft brewers and expensive vineyards nauseates me. It's just assumed that because their products are consumed by the middle classes, they won't contribute to any of the domestic violence or mental illness discussed in that article – not to mention drink driving, or the short- and long-term medical issues that fill up hospitals. The last time I was harassed by a drunk, he'd been drinking free booze in an airport lounge.

Plenty of things could go wrong with prohibition, but much is already wrong with an industry that is at least partly responsible for 700,000 alcohol-related violent incidents reported each year in the UK. India is a prime target for the big brewers as about 85% of Indians do not (yet) drink.

Comment

I am as well. I genuinely believe that in less than 50 years, we'll look at alcohol the way we now look at smoking. The social costs are astoundingly high for, literally, zero net benefit. With the exception of a 1/2 pint on my anniversary in June, I've not had a drop in over 18 months and don't miss it one bit.

Comment

Working...
      X