Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's the population centre of England?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know where the point is in England that as many people live north of as south, as many east of as west, etc?

I'm guessing somewhere near Watford - would that be about right?

What about for the UK as a whole?

According to our friend google, in 2000 it was Appleby Parva in Leicestershire, for Great Britain. For England I would think your latitude is roughly right Rogin, but I think it would be further west, somewhere more in the region of Oxford

Comment

There are 319 Parliament constituencies in the broad 'South' (ie also including the East Midlands), 331 in the rest of the Country. So allowing for the South East being underrepresented I'd say the centre of gravity for UK as a whole is around Watford Gap/ Northampton than Watford itself.

Comment

I read recently that the population centre of London on an East West basis is Tower Bridge. Twas in an article bemoaning the lack of Thames vehicle crossings in East London.
        Theres summit like a million bridges along the Thames west of Tower Bridge in comparison with the equivalent distance eastwards to Dartford (Blackwall Tunnel-Woolwich ferry-Dartford Crossing).

Apparently its holding house prices and gentrification back.....

Comment

Sundeporino wrote: Theres summit like a million bridges along the Thames west of Tower Bridge in comparison with the equivalent distance eastwards to Dartford (Blackwall Tunnel-Woolwich ferry-Dartford Crossing).
          Someone moaned about that? I hope they acknowledged salient factors like the relative widths of the river, historical need to allow tall ships into dockyards, etc.

Comment

Sundeporino wrote:

Apparently its holding house prices and gentrification back.....
            If that means Peckham doesn't go the way of Dalston and end up all fucking pop-up cereal bar restaurants and twats in tweed lederhosen, you'd think they'd be bloody grateful.

Comment

I assume you mean somewhere not-Putney, Rogin, given that Putney is a) west of Tower Bridge (and Dalston) and b) erm, has a bridge. Named after it.

Comment

Peckham, sorry. I was thinking of Peckham. God, Putney was already like that in 2002.

Comment

Rog, Peckham is pretty much the new Dalston already, it's far too late for them now. It all started with that cinema on top of the car park. I wouldn't recommend a visit given your thoughts on Dalston.

(also Peckham isn't too affected by river crossings - it's more yer Woolwiches, Thamesmeads, Silvertowns which could do with help)

Comment

Working...
                  X