Streets of shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streets of shame

That's a very kind translation for Tandragee.

'Fucking toilet full of utter cunts which makes Harryville seem like San Francisco' is closer to the truth.

Comment

Streets of shame

Walsall boasts two adjacent side streets called The Ditch and Bullocks Row, which have proved an irresistible temptation to generations of bored marker pen owners.

Comment

Streets of shame

Can't do pictures or links for some reason.

Comment

Streets of shame

I lived in Ogre and now I'm living in Ogresgals which could be translated as End-of-Ogre.

Comment

Streets of shame

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Gropecunt Lane was a popular English street name in the old days.
            Yep, we had one of those in Shrewsbury. Now just known as Grope Lane.

It's very steep and narrow and the buildings all overhang in that Tudor way so much so that people can lean out of windows and shake hands across the lane.

Comment

Streets of shame

Eggchaser wrote: An aunt and uncle of mine live opposite a house called Rivendell.
              Ha ha, my dad got a plate made for our house (and it really was a plate - it was a terracotta disc) bearing the name 'Rivendell' after he read Lord Of The Rings. Don't think we officially changed the name of the house though (do you have to do that?)

There was that Jim'll Fix It where an enterprising child got the name of his house changed to 'Trevor Brooking'. Trevor Brooking came to the unveiling ceremony. After seeing that I wrote in asking if we could change the name of our house to 'Castrovalva' (it's a Doctor Who story). Unfortunately they didn't send Peter Davison round to sanction my request.

Comment

Streets of shame

Mumpo wrote:
                Originally posted by Eggchaser
                An aunt and uncle of mine live opposite a house called Rivendell.
                Ha ha, my dad got a plate made for our house (and it really was a plate - it was a terracotta disc) bearing the name 'Rivendell' after he read Lord Of The Rings. Don't think we officially changed the name of the house though (do you have to do that?)

There was that Jim'll Fix It where an enterprising child got the name of his house changed to 'Trevor Brooking'. Trevor Brooking came to the unveiling ceremony. After seeing that I wrote in asking if we could change the name of our house to 'Castrovalva' (it's a Doctor Who story). Unfortunately they didn't send Peter Davison round to sanction my request.
                And here was me thinking this -

Comment

Streets of shame

The Doctor Who episode was actually named in honour of Escher's work, as it features a town with impossibly recursive geography.

Comment

Streets of shame

This is the hallway and staircase of the school Escher went to in Arnhem:

Comment

Streets of shame

blameless wrote: The Doctor Who episode was actually named in honour of Escher's work, as it features a town with impossibly recursive geography.
                      Which of course, Escher's "Castrovalva" isn't.

Comment

Streets of shame

I know that, but you can't really have a town called "Ascending and Descending".

Comment

Streets of shame

Up to four pages, and no "Sudden Valley" reference?

Comment

Streets of shame

Geldrop's Tolkien fetish (page one) is the winner/worst of the lot so far. There must have been a series of meetings, votes, decisions ... and at no stage did anybody step in and say the joke was over. Unbelievable.

Ostensibly sane human beings allowed this to happen, presumably because the genuinely sane ones were away in hospital with injuries sustained from head-on-desk collisions.

Comment

Streets of shame

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I live very near here. However, as it's the site of the old Munich airport, it's kind of appropriate.

It's really nice round there.

Comment

Streets of shame

WOM wrote: The Bendale section of my burgh. "Yeah, it's around here somewhere. Called Ben-something or other..."

[IMG][IMG]i58.tinypic.com/15cebs6.png[/IMG][/img]
                                Woah - that's my kinda town!

There's a Tolkien Road by Eastbourne Borough FC's ground. It's in a little enclave of popular 1950s authors; Durrell, Golding, Fleming. The naming scheme in the near vicinity has a Victorian author thing going on - Dickens, Thackeray, Stevenson, Jerome - up to a point where whoever was tasked with going through the Oxford Companion to English Literature thought, "Sod this," and working titles Close Four, Close Five, Close Six, etc, became the official names.

Comment

Streets of shame

Benjm wrote: working titles Close Four, Close Five, Close Six, etc, became the official names
                                  A Corbyn rather than Blair fan then?

While in Walsall town centre the other day I discovered a shop selling retro 70s fashions. Probably owned by Noddy Holder or a member of Judas Priest. I asked the lady in charge for a kipper tie.

"All right Bab, milk and sugar?"

Comment

Working...
                                  X