Waving goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waving goodbye

I've just got back from an intensive (and swelteringly hot!) week in Barcelona with my wife and daughters. In years to come we will remember the good bits of it, the best bits of it, as there were plenty of those, not the bits where one or all of us were suffering from heatstroke, me sweating like I was in a sauna the whole time or when the Barcelona metro ticket machine ate our ticket and we were trapped with no way out until a kindly fellow passenger rang for assistance for us.

My daughters, now, this week, go off to live over 250 miles away from me, with their mother, ironically in Devon (where I'm originally from). The irony of this can only be completed by the fact that I only moved to Lancashire in the first place at her behest, before our divorce.

My kids will now become - instead of weekly visitors - quarterly ones, at best, and possibly not even that. We'll speak online, and all, of course, and to be brutally honest even over the last week - my last chance to spend EVERY MOMENT with them - I found myself needing to find spaces to get away from their inane teenage chatter. And when they're at my house, I hate the way they mess everything up and I can't watch what I want. But by the love of living fuck, I know I'm going to miss all of that. All of it. So I just feel like crying, and I don't want them to go, and that it's not fair, and there's absolutely fuck all I can do to stop it happening.

That is all. I think I just needed to say all of that out loud on here, because I can't say it to them, or their mother, or anywhere else, and OTF is just the best place for this kind of stuff. And yeah, I have been into the duty free gin a tad.

Waving goodbye

The very best of luck Rogin.

Comment

Waving goodbye

Good luck, Rogin. I have kids; thinking of what that must feel like catches my breath.

Comment

Waving goodbye

Sorry about that Rogin, divorces are especially hard on fathers, it's not a level field. You have my sympathies.

Comment

Waving goodbye

Yeah. You've all my sympathies Rogin. It's a real heartbreaker. I missed most of AdeC Jr's mid/late teens for similar reasons. However you're still their Dad, they won't forget that. There'll be times when they need you, and they'll know, absolutely, you'll be there for them. Coincidentally I experienced one of those, literally, half-an-hour ago. "She doesn't want me. I can't go back. Can I stay with you, for a couple of weeks... maybe longer?" Punctuated by sobs I haven't heard since he was ten years old. He's arriving tomorrow morning.

Comment

Waving goodbye

What Crusoe said, Rogin. I can't begin to imagine. Look after yourself.

Comment

Waving goodbye

My son is talking about working overseas. He'll be 21 soon, but I'm terrified at the idea of being separated from him. Pretty much why my mother was in tears when I left for London when I was 18, I suppose.

But, Rogin, is 250 miles really that much? A weekend every 6-8 weeks in Devon can't be that difficult to arrange.

Comment

Waving goodbye

It's not, I guess, G. But it feels a long way for us Brits. I know Australians (and probably South Africans) look at you blankly when you say "that's a TEN HOUR FLIGHT?"

Comment

Waving goodbye

And Amor C, thanks, and I hope it works out. At the moment I'd like nothing more than for one of mine to ring up and plead to come and live with me.

Comment

Waving goodbye

Sorry to hear this Rogin

Comment

Working...
                    X