So, food poisoning then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, food poisoning then

I'm into my third week off work suffering from gastroenteritis, more commonly known as food poisoning. It all started innocently enough when I woke up one morning and dashed to the loo with a bad case of the runs. Nothing to worry about so I went into work, but I kept getting the old two-bob-bits, say every couple of hours or so. I made it home but nothing prepared me for the next day when I ended up going to the toilet 20-30 times. The next day was even worse when I ended up going 30-40 times. Everything water based and I lost a stone in weight in just three days. At one point I drank a pint of water to try and re-hydrate myself, but five minutes later I was back on the loo depositing the stuff straight down the pan. Five minutes to get through the stomach!

For all the bad publicity, NHS 111 were superb and sent me through my doctor who saw me that very day. It took a few days before the knew it was food poisoning, but this was following samples to hospitals, blood tests and goodness knows what else. One thing I didn't realise is that when a case of food poisoning occurs, the doctors and hospital automatically refer it to the local authority for investigation, hence the reason why had a very long phone call with someone from environmental health (or similar, I'm not sure where he was from but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about) detailing all my meals for the previous week.

I still don't know where the food poisoning came from, not a clue, but there hasn't been an outbreak in my local area or anywhere I ate on the Pennine Way. But I never expected the recovery to be so long. One week suffering and two weeks off trying to recover. I've still got no energey and I've had a bloated feeling which makes me feel like I'm full when actually I'm really hungry.

Anyone else ever suffered?

So, food poisoning then

Yes, I have but never for that long. Not even in that there abroad that they've got nowadays.

I only found out recently that rice is extremely likely to cause you food poisoning.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Yes, but it was acute. And it was undoubtedly from undercooked fish at a chippy in Kilburn High Road.

Thing is, at one point I was hallucinating. Didn't expect that.

Never reported them either, which is something I regret.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Bored of Education wrote: I only found out recently that rice is extremely likely to cause you food poisoning.
        Only food poisoning I've had was from reheated rice. The only time I've felt like I was going to die soon, and my missus was on the other side of the world with work.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Yes, but it was acute. And it was undoubtedly from undercooked fish at a chippy in Kilburn High Road.

Same for me, with undercooked / less than fresh Sea Bass from a (relatively) expensive restaurant in Greenwich, who shall remain unnamed as it's under new management.

Raging temperature, projectile vomiting and hallucinating. TLMG was on the verge of calling an ambulance at one point, as she was genuinely afraid I'd cook my own brain.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
            Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
            Yes, but it was acute. And it was undoubtedly from undercooked fish at a chippy in Kilburn High Road.

Same for me, with undercooked / less than fresh Sea Bass from a (relatively) expensive restaurant in Greenwich, who shall remain unnamed as it's under new management.

Raging temperature, projectile vomiting and hallucinating. TLMG was on the verge of calling an ambulance at one point, as she was genuinely afraid I'd cook my own brain.
            I can get you a great deal on sea bass today.

"Fresh Whole Seabass - 2-300g
            Farmed on Anglesey, Wales.These fish are one of the freshest and most sustainable farmed bass in the U.K 2/300g
            £0.70/each"

Comment

So, food poisoning then

I'm tempted.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Bored of Education wrote: Yes, I have but never for that long. Not even in that there abroad that they've got nowadays.

I only found out recently that rice is extremely likely to cause you food poisoning.
                Rice would seem like the least likely suspect, it is boiled for 20min+ and is very easy to absorb. Maybe in Asia it might be an issue if the rice is left for a long time at warm temperatures well after cooking.

Most food poisonings are from raw meat or fish cross-contamination, though unwashed vegetables or fruits can also be the source. Another major source is from kitchen staff with contaminated hands.

Paul, if you still haven't recovered several weeks later, maybe you have a parasite in your GI system?

Comment

So, food poisoning then

I read something warning people that if they kept the leftovers from a takeaway, the rice is the bit to throw away (rather than the curry) for safety?

Bacillus cereus is the danger, apparently.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Paul S wrote: I'm into my third week off work suffering from gastroenteritis, more commonly known as food poisoning. It all started innocently enough when I woke up one morning and dashed to the loo with a bad case of the runs. Nothing to worry about so I went into work, but I kept getting the old two-bob-bits, say every couple of hours or so. I made it home but nothing prepared me for the next day when I ended up going to the toilet 20-30 times. The next day was even worse when I ended up going 30-40 times. Everything water based and I lost a stone in weight in just three days. At one point I drank a pint of water to try and re-hydrate myself, but five minutes later I was back on the loo depositing the stuff straight down the pan. Five minutes to get through the stomach!
                    On the plus side, people pay a fortune for colonic irrigation, sounds like you're getting it for free.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

I don’t know whether it was food poisoning but, about fifteen years ago, I had stomach problems for about three months solid (or, as was the case, three months semi-solid or liquid, several times a day). I’ve no idea what caused it. After ten days, I went to the doctor’s, which is something I very rarely do.

She asked me loads of questions, shook her head a lot, ummed and aahed and asked me to bring her some shit in a receptacle. A week later, she told me that my shit had been ‘analysed’ and that there was nothing wrong with me. I meekly pointed out that, be that as it may, I was still shitting myself inside-out several times a day. This was greeted with a shrug of incomprehension.

This went on for a couple of months. Then, one glorious February night, I had seventeen explosive shits within about an hour and a half, went to sleep thinking that I’d never wake up again. When I did actually wake up, I felt fine and my shitting habits returned to normal.

I’ve been told by several people that, physically, I was a shadow of my former self for a long time afterwards.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Yeh, what's up with that shit?

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Did you take any of the last seventeen to the quack's to say 'right, it's in there, somewhere'?

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Also, were you running five-bar gates on the toilet wall like a scatological Norman Stanley Fletcher?

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Ouch, Paul.

Someone I used to work with had what you have, but never had it myself.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Oysters in Morocco last year... eeeek!

The bird got a bad one & for 2-3 days the week's riding we had planned for afters was in serious jeopardy.

And, of course, we forgot our usual supply of
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_charcoal_(medication)
                                which is basically a cure for all imaginable food poisoning.

---

Anyone ever had their guts pass out due to heat stroke? Now, that is some unpleasant business, especially when you are stuck in a desert in the middle of Turkmenistan. About 10 mins between water being consumed & coming out of the bum. (shudder)

Comment

So, food poisoning then

san2sboro wrote: Did you take any of the last seventeen to the quack's to say 'right, it's in there, somewhere'?
                                  I wouldn't have dared. It was the colour of that sauce that the Danes smother their food with.

san2sboro wrote: Also, were you running five-bar gates on the toilet wall like a scatological Norman Stanley Fletcher?
                                  No, but after the tenth, I decided that, after twenty, I'd ring somebody - anybody, a completely random number, except the bloody doctor who'd told me I was fine - up and ask for help.

I think that, if I'd suggested a possible cause to that doctor, she'd have agreed with me.

"Well, I did have a Hefeweizen three years ago in that place near the Pferdemarkt that never cleans the plunge brushes."
                                  "Yes! YES! That's it! THAT'S why you're napalming your khazi morning, noon and night!"

Comment

So, food poisoning then

That rock and roll chef bloke reckons bad tummies come with the territory of eating proper food round the world.

Not for me, they don't.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

san2sboro wrote: Did you take any of the last seventeen to the quack's to say 'right, it's in there, somewhere'?
                                      It seems so rare nowadays to endure an involuntary guffaw at something I've read on t'interweb that I feel dutibound to report it.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Food poisoning for three weeks? Holy hell Paul, you're obviously made of tough stuff.

I've only had food poisoning twice (once from dodgy mussels, the other from pork which I reckon hadn't been cooked properly), and on both occasions it was over within a few - extremely unpleasant - hours.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

Sash08 wrote:
                                          And, of course, we forgot our usual supply of
                                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_charcoal_(medication)
                                          which is basically a cure for all imaginable food poisoning
                                          Big fan of da charcoal here, too.

Works on cats and dogs in small doses, too.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

You need to make sure you use organic, GM-free charcoal though.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

I've heard a lot of positive things about activated charcoal as a remedy for jippy tummy.

I tried the charcoal thing during my splatterbottom phase. It didn't work. Then again, I could have eaten my way out of a coal mine at that time and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Comment

So, food poisoning then

I was just agreeing with Sash, couldn't care less whether people take it or not.

But, as we discussed last time, it's a safe enough remedy:

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/activated-charcoal-uses-risks

Comment

So, food poisoning then

linus wrote:
                                                  Paul, if you still haven't recovered several weeks later, maybe you have a parasite in your GI system?
                                                  I'm beginning to suspect that Linus and cyclosporiasis is my main suspicion. Actually, I've been wondering whether twenty years of drinking water from moorland streams and rivers has finally caught up with me.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X