The KKK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The KKK

Insider Channel 4 documentary on right now. Well worth catching up on if you're not on it.

One of the leaders - resplendent in all his robes - has just implored a young recruit not to make a "nazi" salute ("it's the left hand, son") as he doesn't want the film maker "to get the wrong idea".

The KKK

Depressingly, lots of the "normal" people interviewed (including the disabled seamstress who is charge of making all the hoods in Missouri) express their thanks at joining a group for the social element of it.

It's like any other radical organisation, or church, or political movement, or football club, then. Pandering to the desires of people just to "belong" to something, and therefore a body of people easily manipulated by those at the top with a more sinister agenda.

Comment

The KKK

Which one of the (several) splinter groups is this about?

Everyone wants to be a Grand Dragon, which leads to frequent schisms.

Comment

The KKK

It's a group called the Traditionalist American Knights in Missouri.

As ever, you'd immediately tag them as the master race even without the costumes.

Comment

The KKK

Ah, lovely lads, those.

Some guys from the Ferguson Police Dept were involved with them.

Comment

The KKK

The documentary identified one as a former cop, and has juxtaposed their dicking around against the situation in Ferguson. It's 95% risible, 5% sinister.

I can see why Grand Dragon might be a more sought after honorific than all the Klummps, Kludds and other K-words that sound like hench creatures from a Pixar movie.

Comment

The KKK

They've just held a raffle - at a get-together at a picnic in the woods - to win prizes including KKK mousemats and cupholders.

Comment

The KKK

Didn't watch the documentary as Storyville on BBC4 was about the evacuation of Saigon and that appealed more than a Channel 4 documentary on, well, anything really. Was it worth catching on iPlayer then, or was it just racists be racists?

Comment

The KKK

I'd quite like a KKK mousemat, mind. Though I'd worry people would get the wrong idea. Plus I don't have a mouse.

Comment

The KKK

Dean Lewtas wrote: I'd quite like a KKK mousemat, mind. Though I'd worry people would get the wrong idea. Plus I don't have a mouse.
                    Ironic racism is so 1976.

Comment

The KKK

Dean Lewtas wrote: Didn't watch the documentary as Storyville on BBC4 was about the evacuation of Saigon and that appealed more than a Channel 4 documentary on, well, anything really. Was it worth catching on iPlayer then, or was it just racists be racists?
                      Well, it starts out a bit jauntily, and you're kinda mostly laughing at the sheer fucking Orange Order-like stupidity of this bunch of toothless cretins until the murder of James Byrd is described and then you enter a spiral of depression.
                      Not that you were serious anyway, but there'll be no mouse mat ordered after you see that.

Comment

The KKK

but that's the problem with that sort of thing. I mean it's absolutely hilarious to Laugh at this sort of thing but then you hear that they burned out five chinese families, before all ordering their favourite meal from the "chinky".

Comment

The KKK

Well, yeah.
                          I'd say I know this far better than you.

The similarities to their Orange brethren are striking.
                          The pseudo-religious bullshit and the insistence that theirs is an organisation of pride rather than hate are immediately identifiable.

Comment

The KKK

A dozen replies and not one "Took My Baby Away" yet.

I despair of otf sometimes.

Comment

The KKK

blameless wrote: A dozen replies and not one "Took My Baby Away" yet.

I despair of otf sometimes
                              That lyric does appear on similar threads here from time to time, only with 'UDA' or 'Opus Dei' replacing the Klan Wizards.

Comment

The KKK

I despair of otf sometimes.
                                Sometimes it's just too obvious.

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to have laughed at the sight of the Grand Poo-Ba shovelling snow in full regalia.

Comment

The KKK

The Orange Order parallels are especially interesting to me given that I would bet a lot of money that a significant proportion of these people consider themselves to be "Scots Irish" (aka Ulster Scots).

Comment

The KKK

Jim Webb thinks about 10% of your population have Ulster Scots ancestry, although only about 1% identify thus in recent censuses.

The Orange Order remains an embarrassment to NI and cheap gag for everyone else, although as I normally say it's a stretch to blame them for everything from Davy Crockett to neo-Conservatism via the Klan and Dolly Parton's Bluegrass period.

Comment

The KKK

ursus arctos wrote: The Orange Order parallels are especially interesting to me given that I would bet a lot of money that a significant proportion of these people consider themselves to be "Scots Irish" (aka Ulster Scots).
                                      Indeed, both orders are Scottish Rite masonic offshoots. The Ku Klux Klan evolved from the Knights of the Golden Circle (KuKlux derives from the greek "kuklos" or circle). Albert Pike was a leading figure within the KGC and KKK, and he also was the most prominent American freemason in the 19th century.

Comment

The KKK

We never got there

Comment

The KKK

linus wrote: KuKlux derives from the greek "kuklos" or circle)
                                          [pedant]"Kyklos", actually.[/pedant]

Comment

The KKK

So the very name of the organization is because they were trying to be clever like them book-learny college types but too thick to get it right? That's hilarious.

Comment

The KKK

40,000 signatures on petition to remove African-American Monument from State House grounds in South Carolina

The African American Monument depicts slave ships, mistreatment and words such as "segregation" and "Jim Crow". This being the case, it is undeniable that this monument can and does serve to invoke in the white community feelings of shame, humiliation and offense, serving as a constant reminder of the dark history of slavery. Therefore, we the people of South Carolina and citizens the world over implore the Legislature of South Carolina to order the removal of this monument from State Grounds.

Comment

The KKK

Holy fuck.

Comment

The KKK

They truly are dumber than dirt, these people.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X