WSC Comedy Evening/Awards Ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, did anyone else on here attend what I think was a one-off, a WSC-organised comedy evening that doubled up as an awards ceremony with a celebrity panel quiz thrown in for good measure?

I must confess that my memory of when it was (early- or mid-90s, I think) or even where it was (Jongleurs at Camden?) isn't too hot, but it was a lot of fun, with the highpoint Graham Kelly's decision to rock up in his best bid & tucker to accept the "Individual Who Has Done Most To Harm Football In the Last Year" award.

Were you there? Well, were you?

Nocturnal Submission wrote: So, did anyone else on here attend what I think was a one-off, a WSC-organised comedy evening that doubled up as an awards ceremony with a celebrity panel quiz thrown in for good measure?

I must confess that my memory of when it was (early- or mid-90s, I think) or even where it was (Jongleurs at Camden?) isn't too hot, but it was a lot of fund, with the highpoint Graham Kelly's decision to rock up in his best bid & tucker to accept the "Individual Who Has Done Most To Harm Football In the Last Year" award.

Were you there. Well, were you?
    "Most to harm football" in the mid-90s = Graham Kelly.

The benefit of hindsight, eh?

Comment

I didn't go, what with it happening in that there London, but I'm pretty sure that westcountry indie legends The Family Cat provided musical entertainment.

Comment

Blimey, was there music? Can't recall that.

I remember that Kevin Day was one of about four comics, the compere was that tall, bald comedian, Tim Clark, ubiquitous 90s football guest Shelly Webb was in attendance and Nick Hornby picked up an award too.

Comment

Hornby and Webb were part of two teams who competed in some sort of trivia quiz - I don't think they got awards, because Kelly was the only person who got an award who was actually there. His appearance was certainly a highlight - he played it straight, all dressed up in his dinner suit and dour with a very dry speech which won over the kind of crowd that should have slaughtered him. It's fair to say he went up in everyone's esteem for showing up.

I can't remember any music, though. It would have been sometime in 1993, I reckon - early 94 at the latest.

Comment

Working...
          X