Quick question for OTF Francophones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be - if there is one - the French equivalent of the English "piss artist", meant in a jovial but good-humoured way (ie not "alcoholic")?

I'm getting a trophy done for our (pub) pool knockout competition, and want to fashion an engraving on it that is along the lines of "Coupe de ..." that reads "Cup of the Champion Piss-Artist", like the UEFA one.

soulard?

Comment

Good attempt, but 'soűlard' sounds quite pejorative I think. Much like poivrot, pochard, ivrogne etc., it pretty much implies alky and/or major pain in the arse. Then again so does 'piss artist' to my ears, so maybe that's spot on.

Otherwise something like 'buveur invétéré'?

Comment

"Picoler" is a more jovial and less pejorative take on drinking, and it has a nice alliterative quality paired with "Coupe", so "Coupe des champions picoleurs".

Comment

pochard ? It looks to be a colloquial term for 'juicer', as well as a species of diving ducks.

So you have that.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: Good attempt, but 'soűlard' sounds quite pejorative I think. Much like poivrot, pochard, ivrogne etc., it pretty much implies alky and/or major pain in the arse. Then again so does 'piss artist' to my ears, so maybe that's spot on.

Otherwise something like 'buveur invétéré'?
            Cheers. I think you're right, it's too derogatory for Rogin's context, unless he hams it up.

Comment

and there's this

it's a page out of Slang and Its Analogues Past and Present by J.S. Farmer and W.E. Henley.

Basically English slang terms with translated synonyms.

Elbow crooker (hard drinker) comes up as Pochard, but there are better ones there : adroit du coude for one.

Comment

linus wrote: "Picoler" is a more jovial and less pejorative take on drinking, and it has a nice alliterative quality paired with "Coupe", so "Coupe des champions picoleurs".
                Yes yes yes that's the one, chapeau!

Comment

That looks good to me. Google translate brings it back into English as "tippler".

Thanks! Or should I say Merci!

Comment

Just to finally check, "Coupe des champions picoleurs" is correct spelling and grammar? If you're going to do something jokey and piss-takey, I always find it best to get it absolutely right...

Comment

Yes it is correct to the letter (caps included), but I would go instead with:

Coupe des picoleurs champions

because "Coupe des champions picoleurs" means cup for champions who happen indulge in drinking, whereas the former means cup rewarding the champion amongst the drunkards. "Coupe des picoleurs champions" is also the way to go because it's a close alteration of "Coupe des clubs champions", which is the original and common name of the trophy and championship.

Comment

"Plus bon viveur"?

(edit: Connection disappeared and, when it came back, this thread was resolved! Bah!)

Comment

Another 'jolly' euphemism for heavy drinking (that wouldn't have fitted on your trophy, even if I had had a connection yesterday, and linus hadn't nailed it for you...):

boit-sans-soif

(drinks when not thirsty)

Comment

Working...
                          X