• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives to 'smart casual'

ursus arctos wrote: This is a smart track top

Communist kitsch is so 1999.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I'm glad I never made it to any OTF meet-ups. You lot obviously all look like sex-on-a-stick.
      The one OTFer I've met in person was indeed very smartly dressed. I, on the other hand, dress like this gentleman here:

Comment

Roderick Spodes black shorts wrote:
        Originally posted by ursus arctos
        This is a smart track top

Communist kitsch is so 1999.
        Noticed that's made by Copa.

"We are football romantics."

No, you're football hipsters, there's a difference.

Comment

WOM wrote: Is the OTF aversion to the jeans and jacket thing a specific Clarkson-association thing? Because every time it comes up, Clarkson is the point of reference. Has he ruined the look?
          A couple of months ago I met up with two much-missed former OTFers from different continents, including one known for his occasional interesting sartorial choices. Both turned up with jeans, white shirt and dark jacket combo.

When we walked on the campus of the university, students were greeting us, as though we were two professors from the History department hanging out with the leather-jacketed colleague from Media Studies.

treibeis wrote:
          The one OTFer I've met in person was indeed very smartly dressed.
          Dude, we met a few months ago, and you've already forgotten meeting me?

Comment

G-Man wrote:

Don't do yourself down. Even the waitresses in that coffee house were commenting on your dapperness.

Good job you didn't stand up, though. There aren't many people who can carry off the 'dark stains on the upper part of your strides' look.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Just suggest they wear a shirt, a pair of trousers and shoes.
              'No shirt, no shoes, no job'

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                Originally posted by G-Man

Don't do yourself down. Even the waitresses in that coffee house were commenting on your dapperness.

Good job you didn't stand up, though. There aren't many people who can carry off the 'dark stains on the upper part of your strides' look.
                Ha, I think I was wearing a red sweater, jeans and a quite nice waterproof jacket. I wasn't exactly Don Draper.

Comment

G-Man wrote: Ha, I think I was wearing a red sweater, jeans and a quite nice waterproof jacket. I wasn't exactly Don Draper.
                  One of my very few talents is making other people look like sartorial world-beaters by simply standing next to them.

Comment

beak wrote: Don't get me wrong, asking to pick between them is like being asked to pick between a poke in the eye and a kick in the bollocks, like.
                    Which one are you picking?

Comment

Saying "smart casual" is awful. Like someone said, just tell them what you want them to wear.

Comment

I'm always reminded of the (possibly apocryphal) story of where a call centre boss demanded that his staff turn up in "business appropriate" clothing. The unions asked what that meant. "Smart, not suits and ties, but smart", came the response. Then someone was pulled up for turning up in perfectly "smart" jeans. So management changed the definition. No jeans, no T-shirts, no trainers. So then someone else was disciplined for wearing a football top (not a T-shirt). "No logos", said the bosses, and a female member of staff complained that meant she couldn't wear her Hugo Boss suit (with a logo on it). Look, said the trade union. If you want us to advise our members on how to obey your rules, we need to understand them. So management drew up a final, once and for all, proscriptive list of items of clothing that were 'banned'. The union agreed it. And the next day, all turned up dressed in fancy dress superhero costumes (which, of course, were not on the 'banned' list ...)!

Comment

Working...
                        X