Your favourite sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favourite sounds

I think mine must include my wife gently snoring while I listen to golf commentary turned down to an almost imperceptible level.

Your favourite sounds

Silence. Total silence. Like when the washing machine has been on, and you've become accustomed to it. And then it just stops. That first second of silence is absolute bliss.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Total silence is a bit unnerving, like when you close down a soundproofed studio's door and sit down. More pleasant is the sound of silence when you stop and take the scenery in deep in a snow-covered forest.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

waves hitting the sea shore.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

linus wrote: Total silence is a bit unnerving, like when you close down a soundproofed studio's door and sit down. More pleasant is the sound of silence when you stop and take the scenery in deep in a snow-covered forest.
          Spot on! Swedish forest, summer, a small lake with trout. Hopefully a creek drip-dropping nearby. Not a single man made sound around you. Just the sound of nature. The occasional bird. Blissful, gentle breeze playing wth the tree tops, a larger mammal breaking a branch as it steps on it. The sound of trout juping in the water, or surfacing to catch a fly. Those water rings spreading. Magic.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Luke R wrote: waves hitting the sea shore.
            Depends. Water hitting shore in Vietnam, Dominican Republic, the sandy kind of shore. Wonderful. Waves hitting cliffs like in Sweden. Hate it. Constant bbloody noise. It's the techno of water making a sound. Great once or twice but annoying and suicide inducing after the fifteenth.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

The screeching sound of a tube train as it bustles through the tunnel. Sometimes it forms wonderful music.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Sometimes a larger turbo-prop aircraft, at significant altitude, reaches a certain resonance where it becomes a consistent low hum, almost just a vibration. Only really heard on a quiet night.

I remember as a small child (in the days of Viscounts, Vanguards etc. when it was more common) hearing it as I was going to sleep. I would picture the plane battling through stormy clouds - which of course it wasn't at the altitude - and me warm and safe. It was immensely comforting, and still is today, albeit a lot more rare.

And the song of a blackbird on a late summer evening.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

And my dog howling like a proper wolf when an emergency services siren passes nearby.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

The Shipping Forecast.

James Alexander Gordon reading the classified football results.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: I think mine must include my wife gently snoring while I listen to golf commentary turned down to an almost imperceptible level.
                      How awfully bourgeois.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

I put the "Urg" in bourgeois.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

A trainyard in the summer

A dog barking occasionally in the distance

An evening football crowd

Radio 4 on long wave

Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Wind blowing through a tree or trees in leaf.

Birdsong.

Running water.

Speedway bikes in full throttle.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

I'm with the-person-now-known-as-Dean-Lewtas: silence is - for want of a better term - golden. A gentle wind in trees/grass is nice too. Gentle sounds of birdsong (from round here ...but not including magpies or panicking blackbirds!) is acceptable too.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Trite as it may sound, my two favourites are when the cub manages to do something and says triumphantly "My did it!"

And when he giggles uncontrollably at something.

Other than that you know, the usual. Heavy rain. The sea. the bit at the end of "The Same Deep Water As You" where it fades out with rumbles of distant thunder, and there is 2 seconds of weighty, cloying, sucking silence before there's a cathartic release as the glass smashes and "Disintegration" kicks in.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Luke R
                                  waves hitting the sea shore.
                                  Depends. Water hitting shore in Vietnam, Dominican Republic, the sandy kind of shore. Wonderful. Waves hitting cliffs like in Sweden. Hate it. Constant bbloody noise. It's the techno of water making a sound. Great once or twice but annoying and suicide inducing after the fifteenth.
                                  I'm thinking high tide south beach Tenby in the morning before hardly anyone else is there. So closer to the former.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

typewriters
                                    guitars feeding back
                                    the inside of an mri machine
                                    the sound amsterdam metro cars braking

Comment

Your favourite sounds

One of my favourites....

Psithurism

Comment

Your favourite sounds

The comforting gurgle of the ol' hot water pipes heard from bed when one of my parents was about to take a late-evening bath.

An era long-since past, sadly.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

also: borborygmus

Comment

Your favourite sounds

The opening scene of Catch-22 - silence over the mountains at dawn. A dog barks. A bird starts to sing. All this takes some time.

Then the exploding cacophony as the squadron of B-25s all fire up.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Favourite: my 18 month old son laughing.

Least favourite: my 18 month old son crying.

A close second favourite would be the sound of my dog snoring and barking in his sleep.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

Pertinent to this thread, I think, although I can't understand why they are just asking for contributions from summer. The seaside is inspiring and evocative the rest of the year around as well.

Comment

Your favourite sounds

I would like to add some to my own somewhat flippant OP, given some of the very brilliant posts since:

(in no real order)

The buzz of insect and animal wildlife in a rainforest at night (only been to three, but can close my eyes and picture them all)

The Kop singing you'll never walk alone (better when it's spontaneous and not underpinned by the Gerry and The Pacemakers version)

The opening strum and pause (is that the word?) of a song I then go on to know I'm going to love - could be the one at the start of "You've Gotta Fight" by the Beastie Boys, or "The Power of Love" by Frankie, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X