My My! At Waterloo, Napoleon did surrender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No thread for the 200th anniversary? I've been to the site of the battlefield, it's a fairly modest site, with a big man-made hill in the middle with a lion on top.

Was Waterloo the last time British and German forces fought together in battle?

Berlin 1948, does that count as a battle?

Nice views from the Butte de Lion, although motorway junctions dominate to be fair.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: No thread for the 200th anniversary? I've been to the site of the battlefield, it's a fairly modest site, with a big man-made hill in the middle with a lion on top.

Were the "Germans" in the Crimea? (Runs off to Wiki…)

(… runs back. - No.)

Comment

Waterloo-Schmaterloo... we all know that the battle that really broke Napoleon's back was Leipzig. And that's the biggie for all the Germans out there.

Comment

I used to work on Lower Marsh SE1 and it's scandalous there's no commemoration of this epic battle of south London.

Comment

It's a mystery Stumpy.

Comment

Sash08 wrote: Waterloo-Schmaterloo... we all know that the battle that really broke Napoleon's back was Leipzig. And that's the biggie for all the Germans out there.
              Surely Borodino was really the end of Napoleon.

Waterloo was a little fluffy afterthought, stamping out the embers.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I used to work on Lower Marsh SE1 and it's scandalous there's no commemoration of this epic battle of south London.
                You're not Steve out of Steve's Bed and Breakfast by any chance, are you?

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                  They did in what European historians call the 'Boxer Rebellion' along with other western powers and Japan.

I imagine Chinese historians call it something else.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I used to work on Lower Marsh SE1 and it's scandalous there's no commemoration of this epic battle of south London.
                    Similar thing for me - I could never work out what Afrikaners were doing in the middle of rural Nottinghamshire…

Comment

You'd think they would have done something for the centenary.

Comment

NickSTFU wrote:
                        Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan
                        They did in what European historians call the 'Boxer Rebellion' along with other western powers and Japan.

The Yihetuan Movement, with Yihetuan being the Militia United in Righteousness, known in English as the "Boxers" due to their martial arts proclivities.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
                          Originally posted by Sash08
                          Waterloo-Schmaterloo... we all know that the battle that really broke Napoleon's back was Leipzig. And that's the biggie for all the Germans out there.
                          Surely Borodino was really the end of Napoleon.

Waterloo was a little fluffy afterthought, stamping out the embers.
                          No, Borodino was arguably the beginning of the end. Napoleon had to break the Russians there and then. He failed to do so and his campaign was doomed.

But in 1813 Napoleon still had allies. After Leipzig he was pretty much on his own. In fact, some, like the Saxons, switched sides midway through the battle. He fought on in France but that defeat was truly catastrophic.

Comment

John Godot wrote:
                            Originally posted by NickSTFU
                            Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair Fan

The Yihetuan Movement, with Yihetuan being the Militia United in Righteousness, known in English as the "Boxers" due to their martial arts proclivities.
                            On thanks, but I was wondering if the Chinese refer to it as a rebellion.

Some Indian historians for example refer to the set to in 1858 as the first war of independence.

Comment

ITV3 are showing "Mamma Mia!", presumably in homage.

Comment

TG4 after doing a 90-minute special here, seems 30% of the Allied army was Irish, and a quarter Scottish, so Irish and Gaelic would have been as frequently heard on the battlefield as English.

Comment

But would the non-English speakers necessarily be the ones who were taking part?

Comment

I'm not just saying that because I'm on the wrong side of that particular battle, sort of (though god knows I'd tell anyone thinking of celebrating Austerlitz's anniversary to give their head a shake), but isn't celebrating 200-year-old military victories really fucking weird? What is that all about?

Comment

Yeah, completely. I mean, I understand why you might commemorate/celebrate a battle of national liberation, or one that transformed the world. But Waterloo? Might as well celebrate the anniversary of Malplaquet.

Comment

Antonio Pulisao wrote: But would the non-English speakers necessarily be the ones who were taking part?
                                        Much of the Anglicisation of the west didn't take effect until after the Famine, and because of poverty, most recruiting would have happened along the Atlantic seaboard.

Comment

The Irish population was much higher relative to the English one then too - pre-famine and mass emigration, and the massive increase in English population in the 19th century.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: I'm not just saying that because I'm on the wrong side of that particular battle, sort of (though god knows I'd tell anyone thinking of celebrating Austerlitz's anniversary to give their head a shake), but isn't celebrating 200-year-old military victories really fucking weird? What is that all about?
                                            Two crossed dead Frenchmen, emblazoned on a mound of dead Frenchmen.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Yeah, completely. I mean, I understand why you might commemorate/celebrate a battle of national liberation, or one that transformed the world. But Waterloo? Might as well celebrate the anniversary of Malplaquet.
                                              pure jingoism - and sticking a finger in France's eye.

Comment

Sure, of course. But why not Malpaquet for that reason too? Or throw in Agincourt for some kind of double header?

Comment

Mind you, by the same rationale, I could see why France might have a Valmy station, but can see no reason for Gare d'Austerlitz.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X