Help an old man out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help an old man out

Most apps auto-update. I think you only have to manually update when there's a change in permissions.

Comment

Help an old man out

I turned off auto update because it was driving me crazy updating stuff and slowing things up whenever I wanted to actually do something with the phone. (I tend to have the phone network turned off for data, because my plan doesnt have a huge data download per month and I'm nearly always in wifi range anyway. However, with this method, it means that the moment you sit down somewhere and the thing hooks itself into a wifi network, it starts downloading updates)

I couldn't tell you how I disabled updates mind you or where I'd go to re-able them

Comment

Help an old man out

OK more questions.

When I got the phone it didn;t have an SD card. Obviously i soon realised that I needed one so I duly installed one. i have located the setting that means that the default storage is the Card, and have transferred all the apps that I could over to there. Bt still when i try to download some apps it tells me that I don;t have enough space. the card has upwards of 14GB left on it, so that's clearly untrue - what am I doing wrong? Can I fix it?

Also, when I am typing sometimes (usually in a text box, such as a search engine, or, say, the OTF reply box), the keyboard sometimes vanishes. how do I get it back?

Thanks, OTF

Comment

Help an old man out

On the last one, try getting the cursor back into the offending search box, etc. That will usually bring the keyboard back up, especially if you have inadvertently "hidden" the keyboard by hitting the requisite key (usually lower right corner). There may also be a way to "swipe" the keyboard up from the bottom of the screen.

Comment

Help an old man out

That sounds like an internal memory issue ad hoc, go into settings and manage applications and see how much space you have used. Try and clear the data off the ones you don't use to free up space or uninstall the updates.

We had the same problem with our first smart phones and were told there was nothing you can do.

Comment

Help an old man out

Thanks. I've started to clear stuff out as much as possible. I guess I need space on the phone's internal memory in order to actually do the download, even if the installed app is stored on the SD card? The problem is that my provider has pre-loaded the phone with loads of crap that can't be deleted and that I will never use. I've uninstalled all the updates and cleaned out the data, but am still struggling to download fairly basic apps. I may have to go back to the shop and see if they can't get rid of all their extras for me.

Ursus: Yes, I've tried both of those things, but neither works. I've installed a second keyboard too, but whichever one I use the problem exists.

Comment

Working...
              X