Help an old man out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help an old man out

I have just got my first smart phone (I know, I know), and I realise I have no idea how to use it. I mean i can do some things, like use it as a phone and so on, but certain things I can do on a computer I would like to be able to know how to do on it, but without a mouse (or similar), I realise I have no idea. I'm slightly embarrassed to even ask as I imagine it makes me look really stupid, but anyhow...

1. How do I copy something (like a URL)?
    2. Having copied it, how do I then paste it?
    3. How do I select a chunk of text (for copying or other operation)?

I'm guessing these operations are some of the most common things I do on a computer and I'm a bit lost without them. Help?

Help an old man out

Hold your finger down on the screen and it should then give you these options, first is cut or copy and then once you've done that you can then copy it. Selecting is the same but you have to drag the start and end to get get what you want.

Hope this makes sense. It's hard being a digital immigrant, I only got my smart phone and tablet after we moved back to the UK so I'm no expert.

Comment

Help an old man out

Does it work on an android operating system?

If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, so forgive me if I get this a bit wrong. You still might pick up something here which allows you to bugger along.

With my android, when copying text, I long press on the text and these two adjustable bars pop up that allow me to highlight a certain amount of text, once highlighted, I press delicately again and it gives me options (cut/copy etc). Once you've cut or copied as soon as you long press again in a space which can accept a cut or copied piece of text, a "paste" icon should appear allowing you to do the obvious.

I have no idea if that makes sense, I'm just putting it out there. I haven't been up long.

(I've just refreshed before posting and realised Antepli has pretty much said the same thing, but concise)

Comment

Help an old man out

Thanks! Just tried that and it seems to work (though the paste option came up in text, the copy / cut possibilities were icons that I had to guess as to their meaning. Pretty sure I did so correctly - though there were another couple of icons that were there which I have no idea of)

(thanks to both)
        (yes, it is Android)

Comment

Help an old man out

I haven't quite got to grips with it either. I have to steel myself when doing it, bit ballachey. Dont use it often tbh. I usually think bugger it I'll do it later on the PC.

Comment

Help an old man out

The first one is select all, the second is copy, the third one is share (puts the selected thing in a text, tweet or email or something, never use it myself) and the fourth one will do a Google search based on the selected text.

Long press is important as it usually brings up a menu of some sort, e.g long press on a link and you can open it on a new tab, long press on a number and you can call it, long press on a picture and you can save it, etc.

Comment

Help an old man out

Screenshots, by the way, are done by holding the power and volume down buttons simultaneously.

Comment

Help an old man out

Thanks Kev. Having just read your post, you actually predicted my next question...

Comment

Help an old man out

Oh yeah, that's good. Learn something new every day and that.

Comment

Help an old man out

If you use Android and Google Chrome, I do recommend the Pushbullet extension. It's a very good way of transferring stuff between phone and PC.

Comment

Help an old man out

I'm learning stuff now, cheers.

ad hoc, I guess you are now thinking about apps. I would recommend whats app and viber to help you keep in touch with people all over the world for free. You may have to resave some numbers by adding their international code

Comment

Help an old man out

Cheers SP, that looks good. Have downloaded both halves.

And thanks AE, I will look into them. (Most of my numbers are already loaded in international format anyway since I tend to be travelling a lot)

Comment

Help an old man out

Kevchenko wrote: Screenshots, by the way, are done by holding the power and volume down buttons simultaneously.
                          Damn, I really thought I'd learnt something there — my (Android) phone takes dozens of screenshots off its own bat, invariably of the 'desktop' front screen, which I periodically discover in My Files and delete, and I assume it's done by buttons being pressed while in my pocket but I have never had a clue as to what esoteric combo causes this. Occasionally I'll hear it make a 'shutter click' noise and know another one's been added to the collection, despite just standing still with no obvious pressure being placed upon it. Just tried the power+volume combination though and it doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy Mini, so am still none the wiser...

As the phone is far from new and has not a lot of storage space my app acquisitions have to be severely rationed; I have a handful of fairly tiny ones, all free, of which I've had by far the most use out of Flashlight (for turning the screen into a torch), BBC Weather, Google Sky Map starcharts and c:geo, an excellent geocaching app.

Comment

Help an old man out

Electro Velvet Android wrote: it doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy Mini, so am still none the wiser...
                            Samsung Galaxy S4 mini? Or Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570?

Every phone manufacturer has his own idea of what the screenshot input combination is.

Comment

Help an old man out

The latter. I could just read the manual, but as it only exists in electronic form I've never yet had the patience to load it up on the screen and scroll through the whole damn thing.

Comment

Help an old man out

To take a screenshot or screen capture with the Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570, simply:

Hold down the HOLD button and the BACK button for a few seconds. The HOLD button is on the front of the phone at the bottom, the BACK button is to the right of the HOME button.

The phone will make the photo capture noise, and ‘Screen captured. Saved as file image.’ should appear on the screen. The image will be stored in the ScreenCapture folder on the phone’s SD Card.

Some users have reported that this brings up the task manager. If the above does not work, another method to try is to hold down HOME and the POWER buttons at the same time.
                                Saved you the effort EVA

Comment

Help an old man out

Antepli Ejderha wrote: I'm learning stuff now, cheers.

ad hoc, I guess you are now thinking about apps. I would recommend whats app and viber to help you keep in touch with people all over the world for free. You may have to resave some numbers by adding their international code
                                  Steer well clear of whats app or viber, unless you want to be randomly contacted by students you taught 10 years ago.

Comment

Help an old man out

They would need your phone number though, wouldn't they?

Comment

Help an old man out

Antepli Ejderha wrote: Saved you the effort EVA
                                      Oh cheers AE — have experimented with the button combos that text you cited suggests, and neither of them work yet a combo of HOME and BACK does, so by hook or by crook we appear to have got there. Thanks!

Comment

Help an old man out

Smallcaps deserves the credit EVA not me. Glad it's working.

Comment

Help an old man out

getting the timing right on the power / volume down combination requires some skill.

Comment

Help an old man out

An app (the Xpert eleven one as it happens), says it needs an update, and it seemingly won't work until I provide it with said update. But, ...well...errm...how do I update an app?

Comment

Help an old man out

ad hoc wrote: An app (the Xpert eleven one as it happens), says it needs an update, and it seemingly won't work until I provide it with said update. But, ...well...errm...how do I update an app?
                                              Assuming it's Android, try opening the Play Store and going to My Apps. There should be an option to update there.

Comment

Help an old man out

Thanks. That seems to be working. Took me a while to find "My Apps" of course

Comment

Help an old man out

You can also select the auto update option when you download an app, just bee careful you don't fill your phone up with shite apps as you'll have no room very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X