No announcement yet.

Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah!!! Kids love it there, fearless little fuckers they are too...

Comment

Comment

Nice sits! Did you acquire a macro lens?

Comment

Thanks AdC. No it's a recently upgraded-to iPhone 8 which seems to have a good lens.

Methodology:

* creep towards your subject if it's animate, otherwise just get close (the mantis was standing his/her ground anyway and swaying menacingly at us)
          * tell the phone what to focus on
          * take about five shots
          *'find the least blurred
          * crop it as tight as you can without losing focus (overdid it on the bug/bug carapace on the shed

Comment

Does it have a continuous shutter setting? If so use that and hold for 4-6 shots, chances are the later ones will be sharpest as your finger will have settled on the release and there'll be less chance of shake.

Comment

Oh right, thanks.

Comment

These two don't normally sit side by side like this. Usually this scene would devolve into a wrestling match because Mickey (left) often plays the mom with Sam by licking his face. Sam lets him do it for a little while, but when he's had enough, he starts a brawl. Kids these days don't respect their elders, eh, Mickey?

Comment

That's lovely.

Comment

Awwwww

Comment

So, a few weeks ago my venerable (12 year old) Nikon f2.8 70-200mm began to act up, the focus was frequently sticking and hunting a bit more than normal, and the aperture jammed open on a handful of shots (even though the exif data said the shot had been taken at the correct aperture). So, I parcelled it up and posted it off to Nikon UK for repair, only to be told that the Silent Wave Motor was bolloxed and as Nikon no longer made them, it couldn't be repaired. Gutted.

The lady I spoke to said "I know how disappointing this must be, but we can offer you a discount against the new version of that lens to the cost of what the repair would've been, had we been able to get the parts." Knowing that the new lens was £2200, and not having even a fraction of that money to spare, I asked her to email me the quote and I'd think about it.

Imagine my surprise and disbelief when the quote came though and she was actually offering me the new lens for the cost of the repair - not £2200 minus the cost of the repair! I may have appeared a bit too eager in my reply, but what the hell - I didn't actually believe it was true until I had paid and had the lens delivered and in my sweaty palm last Friday. The cost? c.£400. For a lens worth more than 5 times that. To say I am delighted would be the understatement of the year. Fired off 850 shots at a car rally on Saturday with it, and it's a significant improvement on the old one, both in handling and clarity.

Comment

Excellent! I've found Nikon are pretty good with customer service in general, which is the way it should be.

Comment

TRL, that's awesome, but I have to admit that I'm a little jealous. Still, I'm happy for you--that's quite a score.

Comment

It’s a fairly damp day here, but the missus and I took advantage of a work lull to sneak out for 18 holes at one of the local courses this morning. There were some evil black clouds over the hills in the park, while we had a brief moment of sun.

Comment

Lovely SB; as I've said before sunlit trees in front of a dark sky are a favourite of mine.

Comment

Tonight's view - the colors represent Michigan State and whoever they were playing in the Final Four tonight. I took this for a friend whose daughter attends Michigan State

Comment

That's wonderful, FF.

Comment

Thanks, NS.

Comment

It is indeed a lovely shot.

We need to open up our view of midtown. The apartment is understandably oriented towards the river views, but the other side has underated city views, with the best of them partially blocked by built in cupboards that we need to remove (once we figure out where to put their current contents).

Comment

Thanks, UA. The more those personality-less tall boxlike buildings go up around Central Park South, the more I appreciate the buildings south of 42nd Street. It bothers me that the iconic skyline is changing so rapidly, and not for the better.

Comment

Absolutely, and the effect is accentuated from our vantage point

Comment

How is this thread "mundane"? You sneaky lot!

Comment

Per my recent exchange with FF, the effect of the oligarch boxes is particularly galling on a beautiful morning such as this.

Comment

They are just vile. Even worse than the squat "iconic" nonsense thrown up in the Square Mile.

Comment

Aren't they just? And the lights on them at night make them even more vile--as if that was even possible.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X