Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Autumn Bush

Another shadow I'm not sure what to do with, but it must be useful for something:

Comment

Well, it's useful right here.

A wise publisher friend of mine told me, never start with the word "well". Lucky he's not on OTF.

Comment

This maybe one of the few (four or five) pictures I've made since this thread started I'm happy with:

This one is moving in the right direction too. Perhaps rain is my thing.

[IMG]file:///Users/jcarter/Dropbox/Public/Raintree%20(stack)%20lo-res.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Well, I had my annual trip to the Hebrides for the Mull car rally last weekend, and although the event itself was curtailed by a tragedy I did still manage to take a few photos to capture the stunning scenery that keeps me going back there year after year.

View from the top of Rest and Be Thankful in Argyll (on my journey up to the ferry at Oban). The lower road used to be a hillclimb and rally road, now it gets pressed into use as a diversion every time there's a landslip on the A82 further up the hillside.

Tobermory harbour

Narrow road passing beneath the cliffs at Gribun

Scenic rally action

Calgary Bay on a breezy afternoon - without wanting to sound morbid, this is taken from the spot where I'd like my ashes to be scattered. Shame it wasn't sunny as you can't really see the beautiful white sand beach.

Comment

Morning dew:

We've dozens of these on our front lawn. I'm tempted... but I wouldn't dare:

Yet another dawn brought to you by the Boundary Bay Tourist Board:

Comment

Love the morning dew shot, AdC.

Here's a couple more scenic shots I got as a by-product of a day out watching rally cars.

Snowdonia

Llyn Geirionydd

Comment

The belly of the spider (a Halloween treat)

This is my first attempt at panorama, and clearly — given the format — this isn't the best place for it! Nevertheless here you go:

Comment

Apologies if it's already been said.

But these images are all far from mundane.

Comment

Cheers GP.

I can't speak for anyone else but, for me, it's been very useful to have somewhere to put images I've just made, that think I might be interesting — or not. I've a rudimentary blog I put the stuff on I'm satisfied with, and I occasionally put things on another photography MB, where things are a bit more serious. But everything goes here first. I "know" everyone here, and both trust and value their responses.

Comment

Pine needles, blown or washed by rain to the side of the road, create an oriental looking image of a tree:

Comment

Or a rearing skeletal horse?

Comment

Lowering the bar after more excellence, one from Sunday's walk illustrating nature's tenacity, with a stubborn marigold struggling on through adversity:

Comment

Remember this masterpiece a few months back of an empty house near me, and someone asked whether there was a stag lurking in the bush on the right?

Well the frangipani is starting to come into leaf now:

Comment

Killing time whilst waiting for Mrs TrL to arrive off the London train, I found myself down by the Mersey on Saturday evening - so here's Runcorn Bridge doing a poor imitation of Sydney Harbour (Nb - camera balanced on the railings for more stability).

Comment

Such a perfect reflection. Whenever I see something similar I always want to turn it upside down.

Early morning Autumnal pictures in a local park:

Comment

You've got the light just about perfect in those, AdC.

On the subject of light, I'm quite fortunate that TrL Towers is sandwiched between the Costa del Scouse and the West Lancashire plains, so I get both cracking sunsets and spectacular cloud effects over the nearest thing we have to Big Sky country.

Sunset out the front window (need to cut that lamp post down, really)

Cloud formations out the back window

Comment

Oh yeah. Absolutely

Light is (almost) everything. Colour, value, contrast. One of the benefits of carrying around a point-and-shoot all the time is that even when the pictures are rubbish (most of the time) you notice what the light's doing, and how you can try and make it work for you next time.

We face East, so I don't see too many sunsets these days, not like yours anyway, unless I go looking for them. I'm such a creature of routine that rarely happens. I have to compensate with sunrises.

Comment

This is my father. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, Austria 1945 (Army of Occupation)

Shortly after he won World War 2 all by himself.

(He was on a fortnight's embarkation leave before being shipped out to Germany in spring 1945, and then again in the summer before being sent to the Far East.

Both of which were cancelled.

We always claimed that German and Japanese intelligence was as effective as it had ever been during the war, and they knew he was going)

Comment

Last night we had winds gusting up to 100km. A good opportunity to take some scary tree pictures. My medium format analogue camera — which I bought for just this type of thing — is still in the shop so I did my best with the DSLR. I'm sort of pleased, I'd have liked bit more sharpness, but 30 second exposures wouldn't allow that.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: This is my father. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, Austria 1945 (Army of Occupation)

Great picture. Which of those fellas is dad?

Comment

Dusk yesterday, looking south-east over Boundary Bay (click to enlarge):

Comment

Beautiful, AdC.

Here's our sunset today. Also, I'm testing out using Google drive to share photos.

Click to view - until I work out how to make it display.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Comment

Yes I started a Dropbox and my first attempt did that.

And yes, lovely photos folks.

Comment

The three horizontal bands of colour violet/gold/lilac are spectacular FF. Almost like a tricoloured flag.

It's the last of Autumn, almost all the leaves are on the ground. The remaining few form a kind of desiccated coronet along the tree tops.

Comment

That's a great shot, AdC. I thought those were birds at first (I'm on a small screen).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X