Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

A dropped bunny comforter looks out from a tree across to Canary Wharf. I found it on the floor at the weekend and put it into the tree hoping that the family would come to retrieve it, I know that if my daughter lost her favourite toy there would be endless tears.

Comment

I spent quite a lot of time searching the streets for lost items when my kids were young. Socks usually. It was surprising how many things I eventually found, in retrospect.
        Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 28-10-2020, 16:04.

Comment

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Comment

Blimey, that's a fair amount. For October, anyway

Comment

For the uninitiated, barmbrack should be sliced like a loaf of bread:

https://twitter.com/lisatk/status/1321734420563398656

Comment

It's the November 1st weekend and so we went to the various cemeteries where my wife's relatives are buried. It should really be tomorrow but today's easier for many reasons

Comment

There's a moon in the sky, it's called the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    It's the November 1st weekend and so we went to the various cemeteries where my wife's relatives are buried. It should really be tomorrow but today's easier for many reasons

Is this a particularly and special day in Romania? There are many flowers and the graves seem very well tended.

Sorry for your loss.

Comment

All Saints Day tends to be very well observed throughout Central Europe

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                        For the uninitiated, barmbrack should be sliced like a loaf of bread:

https://twitter.com/lisatk/status/1321734420563398656
                        That shit is nasty. Fruit bread in all forms is a war crime, but fruit bread with bits of metal in it should lead to jail time.

Comment

I beg to differ. Fruit bread in all forms is ace. Qualified by the fact I’ve never tried it with bits of metal.

Comment

You've never tried banana-lead bread?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

That shit is nasty. Fruit bread in all forms is a war crime, but fruit bread with bits of metal in it should lead to jail time.
                              Have to disagree with you on that one Spoony, I always loved Barm Brack, one of my favourite parts of Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                All Saints Day tends to be very well observed throughout Central Europe
                                In Spain, too, though this year peopkle are being urged not to visit cementaries.

Comment

Yes Catholics and Protestants in Romania (less so, orthodox, which is most of the population, though not where I live) go to the cemetery on November 1st and put flowers and candles on the graves of their ancestors and loved ones. It's actually a really beautiful event. Walking into a cemetery in the early evening with candles flickering everywhere, many people (and often you bump into distant relatives you might only see that one day) and the smell of roasted chestnuts, which are an attendant tradition, is quite a feeling.

As I understand it November 1st used to be a Celtic festival and the Catholic Church coopted it. They called it all saints day, and made November 2nd "all souls" (which is kind of the point of this festival, the day when you can contact/be close to the dead). Here at least the November 2nd date was ignored and the day to commune with your dead ancestors remained November 1st

Comment

Everyone I saw was wearing masks and obviously we were all outside so I suspect not much spreading went on

Comment

Autumn. I'd put them in the hiking thread but it was just a gentle walk round a lake

​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

ad hoc gorgeous photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                          ad hoc gorgeous photos.
                                          This, they are spectacular.

Comment

Those are stunning ad hoc.

As a counterpoint to your rural beauty, I give you the urban glitter of Waitrose car park on a wet night.

Comment

Since the first lockdown in March I reckon I've walked down to the shoreline about 30 times and never once timed it so that the tide was in - until today.

Comment

I'm glad to see that you've swapped your hideaway in the car park bushes for somewhere a bit more scenic, Les

Comment

Amazing sky and clouds outside my (home) office window today.

Comment

We went for a walk in the early morning mist today. The sun breaking through, and dew and dampness rising off the fields created a few weird effects.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X