• Show
Clear All

Mushrooms in the park.

Comment

And Cottonwood seeds surrounding them?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
        And Cottonwood seeds surrounding them?
        Possibly. It's some sort of fluff that came off the trees and the park is absolutely filled with it at the moment. A few days ago, if we opened the windows of our house, it blew inside as well.

Comment

Yeas, that's them. This is their time of year, the seeds will gone in a week or so but they can be a nuisance if anyone in your household is subject to asthma-type symptoms.

Info here:

Cottonwood tree types with picture and name for easy identification.

Comment

Further investigation reveals that I know them as poplar trees, and I call the fruit that precedes the fluff, "catkins", which is why I didn't recognise the name "cottonwood". But yes, we're talking about the same trees.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/tre.../black-poplar/

Comment

Earlier in the year they trigger terrible hay fever for my husband, but currently (and fortunately) don't seem to be causing issues for either him, or my son, who sometimes exhibits asthmatic symptoms.

Comment

That explains a lot. I had really bad hayfever as a child. There was a damn great tree in the back garden; you’ll never guess what type.

Nice rocks Balders.

Comment

Look what I found under our gas meter...

Comment

... and here's Mom, not looking too happy.

Comment

Don’t get too close.

Comment

As a tourist I love raccoons, but I'm guessing they're a bit harder to share a property with?

Comment

Comment

Our raccoons are mostly adorable. They wander through the backyard, climb up the trellis, and don't give a fuck about anything and anyone. If they lived under the house or got in the trash, it would be a different story.

Comment

Speaking of tree fuzz.....

Comment

This one (I'm assuming she's the same one) has raised litters on the four properties closest to us in successive years, so it was our turn I guess.

As a tourist I love raccoons, but I'm guessing they're a bit harder to share a property with?

Can be. If she was inside the house, or under the deck (most commonly) it would be a real nuisance. As it is — aside from keeping Phoebe the Dog away from her — it's not a big deal, unless the meter reader shows up!

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  Don’t get too close.
                                  I won't, though she'd probably be OK. But getting too close to her kittens would be a different story.
                                  Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 30-05-2020, 02:08.

Comment

They've left. Mom must have figured it was to risky sticking around now they'd been discovered. I noticed she'd dug chunks out of the back lawn looking for bugs. That must have happened last night, so the family probably hadn't been around for very long.

Comment

How do I get photos onto the site?

Comment

If you have the image saved on your device, easiest is to click on the camera icon above the text area when posting. A box should appear with dashed lines around it, and if you click inside you should be invited to link to your image.

Comment

Comment

Aha, it works! Thanks.

Comment

Trippy!

Comment

Yeah that’s an interesting effect. It won’t stay still. Is there a church in there?

Comment

It's my front garden reflected in my television screen.

Comment

More domestic wildlife.

When your survival depends on looking like a tree trunk, a piece of white plastic is not a good career choice.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X