• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Daybreak today:

Comment

The bird table at TrL Towers on Thursday had a very welcome visitor - they're clinging on by their furry little fingertips around here, squirrel pox has decimated them once and there's another outbreak this year, plus the greys are getting ever closer, I saw one less than a mile away earlier in the week.

Their days are probably numbered but every time I see one it cheers my soul....

Comment

In all my years in the UK I think I only saw a red squirrel once.

Another early sign of Autumn in these parts are mushrooms. Loads of different kinds, more than any area of the planet I've heard. These are beautiful, translucent and so delicate. I've no idea what they are, must find out.

The California lilac beside the garage contained several very busy spiders beavering away. This one was relentless:

Comment

Grotesque tomatoes:

And another spider:

Comment

Like a lot of native trees this Ponderosa Pine sapling didn't make it through the unseasonably dry Summer:

Comment

Some lovely stuff last week, thanks. During said week I happened to be standing on the platform at Chiswick Park tube station, and was struck by the faded Art Deco:

Comment

You could do a comprehensive pictorial study of the Deco/Moderne tube stations of London.

This is somewhat creepy. More gargoyles from St Mary's Church, Baldock. These from inside the porch. Each shows someone's face being eaten by rats. However what makes them particularly disturbing is that all of them have a spider — a real one — in about the same place on the carving. I didn't notice them at the time, just today when I ran them through Photoshop. Weird huh?

Comment

This morning I was up a little earlier than usual and noticed something strange about one of two new very tall buildings near Central Park. Eye of Sauron, anyone?

Comment

Mmm. Yes, very striking.

At about the same time of day I'd guess. Sunbeams over White Rock this morning:

Everything I've put up on here I photographed with a $100 Sony Cybershot point-&-shoot camera. I've got to say been really impressed with its overall quality. Last night I pushed it to an extreme. The only illumination on this picture was a single dim street light half a block away. I could barely see anything in the viewing screen. But, by pushing the settings in Photoshop, it turned out something was there. Pretty strange colour-wise but a good test for an excellent little camera.

Comment

Great stuff Amor and FF. There's something unnerving about that tree though.

Comment

There's something slightly unnerving about the entire neighbourhood. It's one of reasons I like living here.

Comment

Thanks. I recently upgraded to a Nikon D5200. That photo was shot with a nifty fifty, which has become my favorite lens, even for landscapes like the above. Fantastic bokeh on close ups, too.

Comment

What did you upgrade from FF?

(Do we need a separate thread for photo-techie stuff? Just asking, as I don't want to compromise the mundanity of this one.)

Comment

Nikon D40, with a kit lens (18-55mm) and a 55-200mm.

I think it's okay to talk about it on this thread, as long as we don't geek out too much.

Comment

OK, I'll defer to Sits though, as he started the thread.

Nikon D40, with a kit lens (18-55mm) and a 55-200mm.

Ha, exactly the same as mine. I don't use it much though. I bought a 40mm Micro today though, so it might see more action.

Digitally speaking, my everyday pocket camera is the little Sony.

Film cameras include a Graflex 6x7 press camera (1952.) A Nikon F (1966) and Nikkormat (1977), that share 35mm,55mm and 105mm lenses. Finally, as mentioned on the other photo thread, I've a Fuji 667 6x7 rangefinder camera on its way from Japan, as I'm in the process of building a darkroom in the garage so I'll have somewhere to play during the long winter nights.

(I've seriously over-geeked haven't I?)

Comment

Little bit. Heh. Poor Sits. I'm sure he won't mind, though.

The only film cameras I have are a couple of Lomography cameras. They don't get used much. I'm jealous of your darkroom. I spent a lot of time in my Dad's when I was a teenager.

Comment

Yeah. You can get totally lost in darkroom can't you? Time stands still. I've never properly had my own — except temporary use of the bathroom as a teenager — but had the use of them all through college, and early years of work. I'm really looking forward to it.

I've a pinhole camera, which is the closest thing I've got to a Lomographic thingy. I've dark slides for the Graflex I could put film or paper in, and thought about piercing holes in a lens cap or two to see what happens.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: Little bit. Heh. Poor Sits. I'm sure he won't mind, though.
                                      He doesn't.

I use an iPhone 5, or an iPad Air 1, depending on which is nearer. Edited on the iPad.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: The only film cameras I have are a couple of Lomography cameras.
                                        (my bold)

I had to re-read that a couple of times.

Comment

I'm not certain where the proper place for this, so I'll just shove these here, if no-one minds (and, TBH, you know me through Facebook or Twitter, you'll be getting just about sick of these by now.)

But at 1.58 on Tuesday morning...

Dylan Edward King. All seven pounds 9 ounces of him.

Mama and baby are doing just fine, thank you very much. Dad is just thrilled, obviously.

Comment

Brilliant. Congratulations! (and this is NOT mundane)

Comment

I work with people who wear hats like the one your son's wearing in the first photo. He carries it off a hell of a lot better than they do.

Oh, and congratulations from me as well.

Comment

Is treibeis a commando?

Lovely, Ian.

Comment

Congrats to Ian and Mrs Ian, and welcome to the world to son of Mr & Mrs Ian!

Comment

Yay!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X