Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ye olde treasure mappes.

Comment

The Ladybird has emerged (is that the right term?) from her pupa (see a couple of pages back.) Here she is with her used clothing on the right. Her carapace is still slightly transparent and she's kinda dozy, but seems to be enjoying life on the sage leaves.

Comment

And incredibly vulnerable too. Lovely photo Amor.

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
        Ye olde treasure mappes.

I remember doing treasure maps when our kids were little, soaking them in tea etc. then I thought a singed corner here and there might be nice, courtesy of the gas hob. That didn’t go so well.

Comment

Cheers Sits. It's fortuitous that the Ladybird hung around. She's moved several leaves away now, and is a more vibrant red.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
            As there are no more suggestions, I'll put you out of your (imagined) misery. The last two animals were meant to be foxes.
            They foxed us.

Comment

Things are getting pagan out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                And incredibly vulnerable too. Lovely photo Amor.

I remember doing treasure maps when our kids were little, soaking them in tea etc. then I thought a singed corner here and there might be nice, courtesy of the gas hob. That didn’t go so well.
                I used one of those clicky lighters that are designed for lighting a gas hob, leftover from our last flat where we had a nice gas hob, now we don't. It worked pretty well.

Comment

Here be Gruffaloes.

Comment

More rainbow decorations in a shop in town.

Comment

I got my official badge for being a qualified breastfeeding helper. Shame all the drop-in groups are currently closed. We're giving some advice via Facebook groups and might get trained up to work on the helpline.

Comment

Daughter's drawing of a Gruffalo. She paused the film of it to draw this.

Comment

Comment

Left son alone with a set of Gruffalo dominoes. Came back to find he'd made this all by himself. He said it was a rectangle robot.

Comment

One of my regular cycle rides takes me past this ; Slovakia's 'westernmost wooden sacral structure', dating from 1615. There are loads of these wooden churches in eastern Slovakia belonging to various denominations - Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Lutheran, Eastern Orthodox etc - but a lot of them are mighty tricky to get to without a car. This one is Roman Catholic, and you have to phone someone at the diocese office to get shown into it, but it's nice to have it nearby just to gaze at occasionally.

Comment

These are a thing in Maramures too, the northernmost bit of Romania, which must be roughly the closest part of the country to Eastern Slovakia

Comment

As is often the case, the Russians took this to extremes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kizhi_Island

This is a modern reconstruction of a much later Russian chapel on the California Coast, about three hours north of San Francisco

Comment

An earworm for imp .

An octopus's garden in some shade.

Comment

Ursos, I'm wondering what the cannons being so close to the church is supposed to represent.

Comment

Today's park finds.

Comment

"Mouse" rockets, with milk bottle thruster.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                            Ursos, I'm wondering what the cannons being so close to the church is supposed to represent.
                                            The site is a recreation of a fort that the Russians built in the 19th century to serve and protect fur and lumber traders who came down from Alaska. So the chapel was part of the facility, together with the cannon and the stockade.

Comment

Thanks, it sounds interesting. I guess you might have seen one or of the Slovak wooden churches. The odd few are reconstructions, or have been 'uprooted' intact from their original site and placed in 'skansens', but most are in their original position. Some - not the one in my pic, sadly - are still used for services.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                An earworm for imp .

An octopus's garden in some shade.

Is the ghostly apparition in the middle distance an umbrella of some kind?

Comment

Amor de Cosmos it's a clothes dryer.

Comment

Clearly a regional thing - here's a Wikipedia page on carpathian wooden churches linking to those in Slovakia, southern Poland, Ukraine, and Maramures
                                                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpat...ooden_churches

Comment

Working...
                                                    X