Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very evocative Les. I can almost taste fish paste sandwiches with sand in them. So despite a level of performance anxiety after those last few posts:

I've noticed on my walks a couple of empty houses in our 'hood, and it does make you wonder about the stories behind them:

Comment

Summery Southend. Don't The pink and blue awnings look great with that sky though.

What are the branches on the right of that second shot Sits? They look like antlers. Definitely a suggestion of threat there.

Comment

That's what a frangipani looks like in winter. Pretty spectacular in leaf and flower. They grow well round here.

Comment

So despite a level of performance anxiety after those last few posts:

Eh, None of that! This is your thread, and its been very helpful for me. Don't compare, don't self-evaluate. Just put it up and let it marinate. A space where we can do that is important.

Comment

More a snapshot than a photograph, but this is the grumpy cat we're permanently babysitting for L's grandmother. When he was with her, he hid under the bed for 23 hours a day and hissed at everyone. After a year with us, he's the most pleasant (but still distant) fella imaginable.

Comment

And sunrise over Avon, NC.

Comment

I wonder about the note on the mailbox in Sits's first pic - at first glance I assumed the house was empty, but now find myself thinking that there could be a reclusive old misanthrope* peeping out at Sits from the darkened interior.

Like the eucalyptus leaves in the second pic too - I installed a Snow Gum at TrL Towers and pleasingly, it seems to be coping ok with the gales straight off the Irish Sea.

* - I just described my future self there, I think.

Comment

So we go to the Tower on our quick London stopover, and what do I take a photo of? Traitor's Gate. I blame Wolf Hall. Still dank and forbidding hundreds of years later.

Comment

Hmm. The greenish caste really helps.

Another reflection:

Comment

I'm not sure why I keep posting these shadow/reflection pix. They're certainly mundane — probably boring the ass of everyone — but I find them endlessly fascinating. I think it's partly that this summer has been especially bright, so there's been a lot of them. Also most of our interior walls are a neutral grey, so value and hue show particularly well.

Guardian eagle at daybreak.

The same one, in the same place, I posted on the Tits thread a few weeks back. Today I realised he/she is about 100 yards from the US border. Probably on the payroll of Homeland Security.

Comment

Don't stop AdC, please.

In Devon visiting my Mum, but on the way down we dropped in Hambleden, an old stamping ground. AKA Dibley, Midsomer, Llandewi Breffi and many others. The archetypal bucolic English village and as beautiful as ever. I found an interesting corner, although the greenish hue is still in evidence. Sadly, Magoo here had not noticed accidentally flicking a setting on the iPhone.

Comment

The greenishness is OK. It's reminiscent of early litho colour printing, c1940s when they hadn't quite got CMYK totally sorted. Gives things an interesting period feel.

Don't stop AdC, please.

Oh I won't. This is my version of the art school "crit board." A place where I can throw up sketches, proofs, etc., and others are free to jeer, encourage, or ignore.

Comment

Lydford Church, Dartmoor. Saxon font AD 650. Yes, you read that correctly.

Comment

Loved the backdrop to AdCs guardian eagle photo.

My office is no more than 200 yards from one of the most celebrated waterfronts in England, but you wouldn't know it from the view I've got.

The herring gulls are an absolute menace at the moment - here's the standoff outside Caffe Nero on Thursday morning.

Comment

Loved the backdrop to AdCs guardian eagle photo.

I sometimes think Mt Baker is the volcano god that presides over us. As I never tire of mentioning, it's different every day.

I'm in England now and once again struck by the difference in light, so soft. I've been looking at strong contrast (reflection and shadow) for several months. It requires adjustment.

Been hanging around St Mary's church here in Baldock. Like most English churches it's a time machine. There are a few bits that are 11th century and some from last year, with many stops in between. It has mini-gargoyles above doors and windows, several of these have been lost and replaced over the years, with varying degrees of competency. Here are a couple of extremes:

Comment

OK, help me out here. Which one of these is the strongest picture? You may think they're both rubbish — which is fine, but pretend you don't. No need to give reasons, just pick. Because I can't

Comment

The first one is better.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

The second is better. And I'm not just saying that because treibeis said the other.

Comment

I'd go for the second one and all, and would advise Sits not to sweat about his white balance as some of us find it quite charming.

Comment

WOM wrote: The second is better. And I'm not just saying that because treibeis said the other.
                                            Maybe not, but it was the way you said it.

Comment

Is that because it's brighter, or because the basket is larger?

Comment

in my case it is because the shadows (?) look ever-so-slightly more pronounced.

Comment

In my case, it's because you can see more of the flagstone-like things in the foreground.

And if WOM and all his new-found mates want to come on and call me a photography-ignorant philistine twat, then let's be having you.

Comment

OK. This is helpful.

Edit (crosspost with Treibeis, not encouraging his incipient rumble with WOM)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X