Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
    Thank you, UA, FF, Sits, TRL!

It is Scheveningen. She wanted to get married on the beach, and my father's side of the family live close by Den Haag, so this was the perfect place.

Many congratulations, Wouter.

Part of the small Dutch side of my family lived in Scheveningen so I've been there and walked along the beach. It's a lovely venue to plight your troth.

Comment

First day of the summer holidays. By 10am I had already banned TV and ice cream, and cancelled our plan to go to a playgroup because the kids had made so much mess in the house. I am now filling one bin bag for general waste and one for the charity shop. This does not bode well for the rest of the holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
        By 10am I had already banned TV and ice cream

A brave move!

Comment

I meant to put this on the general mundane thread. Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Many congratulations, Wouter.

Part of the small Dutch side of my family lived in Scheveningen so I've been there and walked along the beach. It's a lovely venue to plight your troth.
            Thank you, NS! It was a very lovely place indeed. To add to the festive feeling, we're staying in the historical Kurhaus for a few nights. For those who have never been to Scheveningen, here is a model:

Comment

Oh boy

I am an absolute sucker for grand Victorian bathing establishments

Did the Germans build it originally? Shouldn't it be Kurhuis?

Last edited by ursus arctos; 24-07-2019, 11:42.

Comment

Built in 1884 and 1885, by two German architects.

The Dutch language is prone to stealing good words from whatever foreign language, and we don't really have any concept with the commercial attraction as the German Kurort. I imagine that this is another reason why we simply stole the German word.

Typically, Dutch does not have the word "Haus", and you are right that we would use "Huis". We would also double the vowel in "Kur", so "Kuurhuis" would be the Dutch version.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ursus_arctos59/status/1160642407484088321

Comment

Fantastic picture, UA.

Comment

Thank you.

Just a spectacular day to explore a criminally under-appreciated section of the park.

Comment

That could be the National Park up the road from us. I mean, I know it’s not, but it could be.

Comment

Yes, that looks lovely.

Comment

The Grace Hotel, from the doorstep of our office building. When Mrs. S and I made our very first visit to Sydney 21 years ago, this was where we stayed so it holds a special place. I often look up and admire these turrets/towers on the corners.

Comment

On my walk home from the gym earlier I went over the mountain and got some great views of the coastal fog. We often talk about the "marine layer" and this is a great illustration of it - there's a wall of low cloud that keeps the most coastal parts of the city nice and cool. And then, somewhere, it just comes to an end. Sometimes it's out in the ocean, sometimes it's 10 miles further inland. Today it was about 3 miles from the top of the hill. It usually retreats during the course of the day, so you often start overcast and finish sunny.

Comment

I also got some nice views looking south and east of the thin mist that was still burning off further inland...

Comment

The Pacific is fascinating in that way. We just don't get it on the Atlantic.

Comment

Cracking pictures, SB, especially the second one. What are the settlements that we're looking at?

Comment

They're taken from Cowles Mountain, which is the tallest hill in San Diego city. In the first pic we're looking west, across most of San Diego towards the Pacific. In the second we're looking mostly at El Cajon and La Mesa, and the coastal ranges. You might be seeing Mexico on the far right of it, but probably not.

The marine layer doesn't happen in the Atlantic, I think, mostly because the ocean water is warmer. From my limited understanding, I think it's created by an inversion layer trapping the evaporating (but cold) ocean moisture under warmer clear air. So the moisture doesn't escape and becomes clouds, which then get drawn in because of the temperature gradient from inland (until they finally "burn off" when the air gets hot enough).

Comment

Is there a thread for old family relics/heirlooms etc.? I rediscovered my Dad's old album of
                                        matchbox covers he collected as a young man, mostly in India at the tail end of WW2. I know for sure this isn't the thread!

Comment

Comment

There isn't, but those are a good reason to start one.

Just the labels/covers, not the whole box?

Comment

Yes just the labels, he's soaked them off and pasted them into an album - so no value other than aesthetic and sentimental. A few obviously never reached the sticking-in phase, such as the two above. I actually have a lot of his old stuff including complete albums of 1930s/40s cigarette cards and an assortment of "British Empire" stamps, which I'm sure I've bored about somewhere on here in the past.

When I get a chance I'll sort out a thread. Thanks UA

Comment

Sattur is in Tamil Nadu, and apparently continues to be a centre of match production to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  Yes just the labels, he's soaked them off and pasted them into an album - so no value other than aesthetic and sentimental. A few obviously never reached the sticking-in phase, such as the two above. I actually have a lot of his old stuff including complete albums of 1930s/40s cigarette cards and an assortment of "British Empire" stamps, which I'm sure I've bored about somewhere on here in the past.

When I get a chance I'll sort out a thread. Thanks UA
                                                  I can probably help you out with the cigarette cards — I've catalogues etc. Believe it or not when I was a kid matchbox labels were the second most popular kids collectible, after stamps.

Comment

Bloody hell. Youse really made your own fun back then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X