Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The border along the beach is monitored be sensors. People wandering across have been picked up. And a large Teddy Bear would make you kind of conspicuous.

There's a guy I see in the off-lease dog park who spends a good deal of time running back and forth through the hedge — which marks the border — to see how long it takes for the patrol to show up.

Comment

Right. But if you want to saunter down the beach across the border, you go through the checkpoint first, right? How formal are they? Do they get to know your face and wave you through?

Comment

There's no border checkpoint on the beach, just sensors.

The only checkpoint is on the road, which is a couple of mile or so from the beach. And, no you don't get waved through these days. It's a passport check, or Nexus card every time.

Comment

Adding to my collection of circles, some veggies.

Candy cane beet:

Daikon:

Looking through my images from a week or so back, I found this one with a 'frost demon' looking off to the right of the frame:

Comment

There was a bloke kneeling down by his parked car outside the Showroom Cinema, Sheffield taking photographs of a discarded cigarette butt in the road.

I for one, await its publication with interest.

Comment

Great pics AdC. What the hell is a daikon?

Comment

A Japanese radish

Comment

Looking again, the icy photo is almost like an abstract artwork depicting smoke risking from a burning landscape or town.

Comment

Indeed, it could work on a host of levels.

Very far from mundane.

Amor, do you eat Candy Cane Beets, or just photograph them?

Comment

We do eat them. They don't taste very much different from purple or golden beets and, sadly the colours recede considerably when cooked. Small ones, thinly sliced, look great in salads though.

Looking again, the icy photo is almost like an abstract artwork depicting smoke risking from a burning landscape or town.

I know. I was disappointed when La Signora couldn't find my demon, but pleased she saw several other things.

It is interesting. The surface is horizontal painted metal, apparently totally smooth. But several nights freezing, plus strong early light, create an almost bas-relief effect.

Comment

Echoes of this too:

Comment

Jeez! That's an embarrassingly high bar.

Comment

Enjoying this thread some intriguing images AdC.

Comment

I love that last frost photo, AdC.

Here's a photo I took today with my GM1. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I took it without using the flash. I see a reflection of one of the Christmas lights on Sam's face. I'm not sure how to avoid that--it was even worse on another one I took.

Comment

Thanks HND & FF. This is the most fun I've had with my clothes on for quite a few years.

Here's a photo I took today with my GM1.

Nice Bokeh.

Is the reflection off a whisker? A Polarising filter might fix it, but would likely make the Christmas lights look different too. Probably easier to fix in the digital darkroom.

Are you comfortable using a camera without a viewfinder? I think that would be the biggest issue for me. Probably just my age showing. I don't have one on the Sony, which is kinda OK, but there are situations when I don't want to use auto-focus and the screen is useless.

The Mamiya 7ii arrived last week. Man it's a beast, weighs well over 2 lbs, and feels rock solid. Sort of the photographic equivalent to that off-road Mercedes you see about. I'll mainly be using it on a tripod, so the weight shouldn't be too much of an issue. There are a couple of quirks, but nothing I won't get used to. I dropped off a couple of test rolls at the lab yesterday, so I'll have an idea what it can do mid-week.

Comment

Fuck off

Comment

It looks like the reflections of light on his face are coming from the Christmas lights on the tree. Maybe using the flash would have prevented those.

I had a Nikon point and shoot before I bought my first DSLR, so not having a viewfinder wasn't completely weird to me. It makes it easier to hold the camera at other than eye-level for taking shots at different angles.

Looking forward to seeing some of your Mamiya photos, if you can scan them and share them on here.

Comment

The cat photo is great. If you send Christmas cards that should be on them.

Today's walk: council collection tomorrow morning, so there can be the occasional oddity outside someone's house.

Rely on me to bring this thread back to its mundane path.

Comment

Industrial white against organic green is good.

Our council would never pick up such items. That stovetop thingy is also quite alien. I've never seen one like it around here.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: I love that last frost photo, AdC.

Here's a photo I took today with my GM1. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I took it without using the flash. I see a reflection of one of the Christmas lights on Sam's face. I'm not sure how to avoid that--it was even worse on another one I took.
                                          That's a great picture.

Comment

Thanks! I didn't make my Christmas cards this year, but I might use that one on FB.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Industrial white against organic green is good.

Our council would never pick up such items. That stovetop thingy is also quite alien. I've never seen one like it around here.
                                              I've never seen one like it either. I don't know if the left hand part is a mini-oven or a microwave.

Council rules suggest the stove thing will go, the toilet bowl won't. The way it works is they only collect from households who pay a small one-off supplement and book a visit during the monthly rounds. You can leave out "up to three cubic metres" but no "builder's waste". The toilet would count as builder's waste. Ugh that has rather unpleasant conurtations (sp.).

I will watch for the cat on FB.

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51528354@N05/23549163140/in/dateposted-public/

Can anyone point me in the right direction so these are viewable? cheers.

Comment

Just trying something.

Heatwaving Not Drowning wrote: https://www.flickr.com/photos/51528354@N05/23549163140/in/dateposted-public/

Can anyone point me in the right direction so these are viewable? cheers.
                                                  Frost Bitten by Stevie, on Flickr

Comment

HND - Click on the Share Photo icon in the lower right corner of the screen, then select BBCode. Then you can just paste that right in the message box on here.

Nice photo!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X