• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

That's a great page people.

Comment

This is both mundane and photography related--I bought myself a Lumix DMC-GM1 last night. We'll say it's a Christmas present.

I went online intending to buy a 35mm prime lens for my D5200, but in my search to determine which exact lens I should buy, I stumbled upon internet conversations about mirrorless cameras, and one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was buying a new camera. I should have it by Tuesday evening.

Comment

WOM wrote:
        Originally posted by Guy Potger
        This is my father. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, Austria 1945 (Army of Occupation)

Great picture. Which of those fellas is dad?
        The one that looks like me!

(He's the one on the left in that picture)

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: This is both mundane and photography related--I bought myself a Lumix DMC-GM1 last night. We'll say it's a Christmas present.

I went online intending to buy a 35mm prime lens for my D5200, but in my search to determine which exact lens I should buy, I stumbled upon internet conversations about mirrorless cameras, and one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was buying a new camera. I should have it by Tuesday evening.
          The 4/3 micros are very popular, I'll be interested on your report FF. I'm not in the market right now — waiting for my medium format Mamiya 7ii to arrive — but down the line I might like something better quality to replace my little Sony.

Comment

Comment

AdC, my dad had a Mamiya (35mm SLR) in the '70s. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Comment

I'm not familiar with their 35mm SLR's. In the UK at least they were best known for their medium format cameras. They made a twin lens reflex which was a less expensive competitor of the Rolleiflex, and an SLR that was a down-market Hasselblad. The 7ii is a 6x7 rangefinder, the last one made by any company so far as I know.

Comment

I asked Mom if she remembered it or what happened to it, but she didn't (no surprise there, but I had to ask). I suspect he sold it after I gave him a Minolta with lots of bells and whistles (by 1985 standards, that is).

I don't remember much about it, to be honest.

Comment

eBay probably have one or two listed. It's about the best source for analog cameras these days.

I seem to be pulled more and more towards photographic abstraction. We've been getting heavy frosts for the past few days. This is a handrail at first light:

And this is a much used plastic butter dish:

Click to see properly in both cases.

Comment

Very evocative frost.

Comment

Thanks. It's actually eight different pictures. My largest focus stack to date.

Comment

Code:
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/51528354@N05/17351674982/in/dateposted-public/

Comment

That frost shot is genuinely excellent, AdC.

Weather is too wet and murky here for any decent shots, even if I wasn't in work for all the available daylight hours.

Comment

Much appreciated TrL. This cold snap is due to end later today, rain and wind due tomorrow. Wind's OK for picture making — rain not so much.

Comment

Those are very cool, AdC. I love the frost shot especially.

Comment

Heatwaving Not Drowning wrote:
                                  Code:
                                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/51528354@N05/17351674982/in/dateposted-public/
                                  Holy crap. Those aren't mundane!

Comment

Wow, I missed those (the font size is very small on my tablet). Those are incredible, HND.

Comment

I missed them too. Excellent work HND.

Comment

Thank you,much appreciated.My apologies about the crap link i thought i had deleted due to not being able to actually post it correctly.
                                        Once again,thank you.

Comment

Spider alert (not a particularly scary one):

http://i68.tinypic.com/30sg4rq.jpg

There are a lot of St. Andrew's Cross spiders around currently, so named partly for the way they hold their legs, as above, but also for the way they build their webs. This is obviously a fairly recent build but after a while they effectively continue the four lines created by the pairs of legs, with a thicker weave like the short stretch directly below the spider here.

In other words, she's doing it wrong.

Comment

Interesting looking creature. How large is it?

Our guardian eagle returned to his/her Winter post a week or so back. She/he seems to have acquired a friend over the summer:

Also some sights of Pt Roberts WA.

Auntie Pam's Country Store:

Liberty as garden feature:

Comment

Love those, AdC! I haven't had a chance to really do anything with my GM1 yet--my mother is still here visiting and I had a busy work week. Hardly enough time to have dinner with her before going back to sleep again. She's leaving tomorrow and it feels like we hardly had any time together.

Comment

Nice Eagles AdC, and I would love to know what the big green inflatable with bat wings is outside the shop.

St. Andrew's Cross spiders aren't particularly big or intimidating. Must be related to garden spiders. Bodies of more mature ones would be less than 1cm across; this one probably 6-7mm.

Comment

It's a dragon I guess... (?)

She has that stuff out front all the time. I'm curious as to where she puts it at night, or maybe it's just left out. It's not like anyone could steal it. There's only one road off the point and there's US/Canada border to get through. "Sir would you mind telly me where you got that Teddy Bear? It looks kinda familiar..."

I haven't had a chance to really do anything with my GM1 yet.

You piqued my interest and I had a look at one the other day. I'm not looking to buy right now — not with the Mamiya on its way! — but down the line... Maybe they'll get it down to the size of my little Sony, with a pancake lens it'd be pretty nice.

Comment

So if you go sauntering down the beach, you need to pass through the checkpoint, do you?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X