Mundane Thread Photographic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An early morning drive up to Al Zubarah Fort today - the only UNESCO World Heritage site in the country...

Comment

Just reading the Wikipedia article on Al Zubarah Fort. Wow, nowhere near as old as I guessed from the photo.

I love my bread machine, part 1,173:

Comment

Still having fun with the World of Small Round Things:

A couple of mushrooms:

Think the top one is a Mycena of some type, and the bottom looks like the infamous Amanita Muscaria (though most of the examples I've seen are more red than orange.)

Comment

Lovely stuff folks.

Wibiflibi, do you have a Panasonic? On the rare occasions we use ours the loaves have a groove in the same spot.

Comment

Seagull's wing feather

Comment

Tonight. I love taking photos of different weather conditions. Rain is moving in and will be with us for a few days. There's a tropical storm lurking in the Atlantic that, depending on its track, might dump even more rain on us through the weekend. We need the rain, but I feel bad for people who don't live in high-rise buildings.

Comment

Is the blue glow above the buildings part of the weather system, or an effect from city lights seen through moisture in the air?

Still farting around with the new lens. I'm going to try focus stacking in the next few days, which, if I get the hang of it, should help with inanimate objects. But it's not going to do much for wee beasties like this Squash Bug. This is the best photo I've managed, so far, of something that runs away...

Comment

I like that! Was the bug on a white surface, or did you photoshop it?

I think the glow is just the lights of the city reflecting on the low cloud cover. I'm sure the moisture magnifies it.

Comment

It was on a white doorframe. I adjusted the levels a bit in PS to bring out the colour in the bug a bit.

Comment

It's very cool.

Comment

Ta. It's an interesting, and challenging, process. And there's no lack of interesting subject matter that's for sure.

Comment

The quality keeps coming on here.

Comment

Didn't know where to put this, but Amor, have you seen the design proposal for a gallery in Vancouver?

http://www.dezeen.com/2015/09/29/herzog-de-meuron-vancouver-art-gallery-stacked-wooden-boxes-canada/

Comment

I saw that just yesterday. I love it.

Comment

MsD wrote: Didn't know where to put this, but Amor, have you seen the design proposal for a gallery in Vancouver?

http://www.dezeen.com/2015/09/29/herzog-de-meuron-vancouver-art-gallery-stacked-wooden-boxes-canada/
                                Yes. It's been a long time coming.

I'm cowardly reserving judgement until it's built. It's conceptually bold, but I'm a bit concerned about how well it'll fit in with the large buildings surrounding it.

There's the 1960's main post-office (in left foreground of concept illo) and the main library (across the street):

They're three visually strong, but very different looking structures. I'm not at all sure they'll play nicely together. I also wonder about the wooden cladding on the gallery. How will it wear/weather?

Comment

Actually if we want to pursue this discussion on architecture, this thread might be a more appropriate place.

Comment

Fallen Woman (found objects)

Comment

My favourite time of year, the pink footed geese have started honking their way over TrL Towers...

Comment

Catching up a bit from my recent trip to Bordeaux.

Approaching storm over the Garonne, from the Pont Jacques Chaban Delmas.

Porte Saint Eloi in the rain

Municipal Police on the beat

Late night tram approaching

Comment

The tram's really nice, and the cops are cute. Segways just don't evoke authority or confidence somehow.

Comment

Some Grevillia (I think that's what they are) on yesterday's walk. The lorikeets love this stuff:

Comment

Nice selection TrL. I only went to Bordeaux once, in about 1994, but those first couple are much as I remembered it. Not the Segways, clearly.

And geese flying like that are (is?) one of the things I miss, living in Oz. Coincidentally I heard one of my favourite Joni Mitchell lyrics the other day and it was in my head as I saw your photo.

See the geese in chevron flight
                                              Flapping and racing on before the snow
                                              They got the urge for going
                                              And they got the wings so they can go

Comment

Cheers both.

Sits wrote: Nice selection TrL. I only went to Bordeaux once, in about 1994, but those first couple are much as I remembered it. Not the Segways, clearly.
                                                The 'hangars' in the first photo were probably part of the working port when you visited, Sits. Now they're boutiques and cafes. The bridge I took the photo from is pretty recent too, with a central section that stays horizontal when it's raised (rather than the more traditional vertical hinge).

Is that grevillia what's known as the bottle-brush plant? If so, I have a small one in TrL Gardens, albeit it got such a spannering off the wind last winter that it barely survived and didn't have the energy to flower this year.

Comment

TrL, you've corrected a misconception on my part. Those are indeed Callistemon (bottle brush) as opposed to Grevillea which looks very similar but is actually quite different. I've learnt something today.

Comment

These aren't particularly brilliant as pictures, but they're my first attempts at focus stacking and — as a process — I'm pretty impressed.

When you compare the results with this Snowberry cluster, covered in droplets, you can see the difference in depth of field. (Though I do kind of like the fluffy Snowberries.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X