No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't get a lot of red warnings: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-59419772

Comment

Amber warnings now stretch all the way down to East Anglia. Still no mention about it on the news, presumably because it doesn't hit London.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
        These days Phoebe the Dog, just stands on the porch and gives me a "Seriously?" kind of look.
        My gran's dog did that towards the end of his life.

St Albans Charter Market is cancelled tomorrow due to expected adverse weather conditions.

Comment

Fortunately heavy rain and wind yesterday doesn't seem to have cased further problems. Today is glorious, but tomorrow will bring the second of three back-to-back systems. Temperatures are rising so the concern is rapid snowmelt leading to avalanches.

Comment

It was 15 degrees here till last week, hardly rained from March to November, the windowbox is still full of begonias and other summer flowers. Only cut back the rose bushes cos some buds were rotting without opening up fully. Now it's fucking Baltic and a nasty as fuck wind has started gusting. Fuck you, winter.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-11-2021, 17:16.

Comment

Getting ready for a night of disturbed sleep, my old terraced house is a noisy place when windy...

Comment

Gusts of over 100 mph being recorded in Scotland at the moment, this isn't going to be pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                  Amber warnings now stretch all the way down to East Anglia. Still no mention about it on the news, presumably because it doesn't hit London.
                  To be fair, that BBC report has the red going to Newcastle but the accompanying graphic has it extending another sixtyish miles past Teesside almost to Whitby.

On the upside, we had our knackered gutter fixed a couple of hours ago.

Comment

I'm just north of Carlisle in a Travelodge tonight, having driven back from Kielder forest in a rising gale and driving snow this evening. The hotel and adjacent motorway service area have lost power and there are reports of trees down all over the place. I'm supposed to be going to watch a car rally in the forests around Beattock in the morning but I suspect there will be too much horizontal timber across the roads.

Comment

Absolutely pelting with near-horizontal hail here at the minute, the noise is quite something

Comment

Well, i had more restful nights....

Comment

We have lost a couple of bits of fence and another bit is bowing somewhat, bur stepped out of our back gate and the people over the alley have a problem.

Comment

A couple of smaller trees (7-8m) down in our woods down in Pembrokeshire where the winds 'only' reached 60mph, a big bonfire's worth of fallen branches to clear up, plus chasing down bins and other small objects that have blown here, there and everywhere. So that's my afternoon chores sorted....

Comment

A tree in Stockton, this morning.

Comment

Watching from the touchlines as my daughter's football team play their Saturday morning fixtures is usually the highlight of my week. Today, not so much!

Comment

35 here today. Not even through November.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                    A tree in Stockton, this morning.
                                    Bloody hell!

Comment

Another angle.

Comment

That house got very lucky.

Comment

Talking to a couple of my Brazilian co-workers before a meeting this week, they asked how cold it was this morning as I was wearing a wool beanie. I said not very, then it transpired that neither of them had experienced anything as "cold" as 10C/50F.

Comment

Spent 9 hours on a train on Friday. Got to Montrose from Aberdeen and then limped back through numerous trees on tracks. One actually landed on the carriage roof as we sat motionless (thankfully) just south of Stonehaven. That journey should have taken a bit over an hour.

We left Aberdeen at 16:00. Apparently there was a red weather warning meaning no travel at 15:00 so why did we even leave?

Got home after midnight to a power cut that lasted until 7 pm on Saturday. Thankfully a neighbour left us a care package (1 red, 1 white) on Friday or it could have been worse.

The conductor, conductress? Was magnificent. No trolley, no food , no drink, water but no cups. None her fault but she was calm and collected.

I was listening into a conversation she was having with someone outside the train.

’I’ve got 61 passengers, 15 pensioners, 3 with medical conditions, and you expect them to climb down one ladder and up another to get out of here? Get tae fuck!’

She didn’t even know about my hip!

Now, I’m not convinced she had the required skills to make that health & safety assessment but she was spot on. A power saw was called up, tree trunk dispatched and we made our way, slowly, back to town.

So we don’t get to see our daughter until Xmas but no harm done. Question is, do we get any compo for ScotRail needlessly putting us at risk?

Comment

Scary.

Comment

The first really cold spell of the winter arrived today. The temperature's around the -25C mark and is forecast to last for a few days before warming up at the end of the week,

Comment

Hurricane force winds for Cork and Kerry today, at least according to RTE and the Shipping Forecast.

Comment

Very strong wind and rain in Dublin city this morning. It's settled down to occasionally sunny and blustery.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X