No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We haven't had much in the way of snow this past month here in Finland, with much of the snow having disappeared from rooftops and pathways... but part 3 of winter has appeared these past 24 hours.
    I always loved the snow as a kid, it was the only time our garden looked as nice as everybody else's.

Comment

I've just done the school run (1.2 mile round trip on foot) in one of the worst storms I've ever had the misfortune to be outside during. Fortunately, on the way to school it was ok, almost blue skies and the kids barely experienced a drop of rain. We saw a rainbow while waiting in the queue in the playground. I then had to go to the other side of the school to retrieve my son's water bottle which he lost yesterday, but which had his name on so the local mums had found it for me and told me where it was. By the time I turned around to start going home the heavens opened, the wind picked up and the rain started turning to hail. I was having to walk sideways clutching my fur-trimmed coat hood over my face. I got soaked through to the bone. The wind was so strong it was actually difficult to continue walking. By the time I got home it had calmed down a bit and now it's barely raining again. I'm very grateful for my warm, cosy house and the fact that I'm working at home so could easily do a complete outfit change. If I was in an office I would have had to stay soaking wet all day, or maybe buy new clothes at lunchtime.

Comment

There was another woman trying to walk home at the same time as me with a toddler in tow who was, very understandably, having a massive tantrum at the unacceptable weather situation. I felt so sorry for them both but there wasn't really anything I could do for them and I was struggling enough just trying to hold onto a water bottle and my coat hood. I hope they've made it to somewhere warm and cosy now.

Comment

https://twitter.com/adhockley/status/1374409381895233537?s=19

Comment

There's just been some snow. So light as to be barely perceptible, but definitely snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
              There's just been some snow. So light as to be barely perceptible, but definitely snow.
              We've had it in Greenwich, for about two minutes. Going from 25C to snowing in a week.

Comment

Unseasonably cold and windy in SWFL. Breakfast in a sweater ffs :-)

Comment

My daughter claims it snowed in Hertfordshire this morning. I didn't see it, but I believe her.

Comment

Snowing again.

Comment

Snowing here too.

I hate snow, so luckily it's only what appears to be a very light flurry.

Comment

Comment

The scaffolders have postponed their visit

Comment

A cyclone has caused considerable damage at Kalbarri - about 600km north of Perth. Cyclones normally hit anywhere from 600km further north upwards, so this one was quite unusual. Few buildings in Kalbarri are built to withstand cyclones and the damage has been severe.

Comment

The weather up here in Kendal yesterday was all over the place - a bright but cold start, overcast into the afternoon, fairly substantial snowing from 4 to 5pm then glorious evening sunshine but freezing once the sun went down. The BBC site had predicted nothing of the sort. We were told by locals very soon after we moved here to completely ignore even short term weather forecasts as they are unreliable in the South Lakes microclimate. It’s proven to be good advice.

Comment

A big problem with weather forecasts is they get a lot of their data from aircraft which pick up wind speeds, temperature, jet stream movements etc. Because of covid the number of aircraft flying has gone down by over 95% which has an impact on the reliability of weather forecasts. It certainly makes for some fun and there were lovely plumes going up yesterday in Essex, certainly worth looking about for.

Comment

I never realised that, Paul.

Comment

I walked outside in clear skies and sunshine yesterday and ended up being hailed on twice on my walk in and out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                      I walked outside in clear skies and sunshine yesterday and ended up being hailed on twice on my walk in and out of town.
                                      This sort of thing has been standard in Eindhoven over the last week. Today at ten: hail storm. Today at eleven: beautiful sunny weather. Today at twelve: hail again. I appreciate the moments of sun, but I'd really rather have the weather make up its mind and just settle for something for a day or so. This ten seasons in a day thing is exhausting.

Comment

Convection...strong sun, cold upper layers of air is an explosive combination

Comment

White stuff falling out of the sky here. We were promised an inch of rain over last night and today, but the snow was meant to be further inland and on the higher ground. So far it's only vaguely threatening to settle on the mulch outside my window and melting on everything else. The ground has definitely warmed up over the last month, so we might be OK.

Comment

Spoke too soon...

Comment

It's been raining all night, which kept me awake amid strange dreams about unknown French towns. The rain is welcome.

Comment

It has been incredibly dry here for April - some of the streams that I tend to see on my walks have run dry already. I was having a quick search for year to date local rainfall to see how it compares to the norm but it does seem skewed by a couple of concentrated spells of rain. Looks like there will be light showers over the next couple of weeks but nothing major.

Comment

...and within a few hours of saying that, it's raining. I tell you what though, it's been a while since I won on the premium bonds....

Comment

ha ha!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X