Clear All

Oh. Not showing up? It does for me.

How about this?

Comment

That's excellent.

Comment

Very visible.

Comment

Four months worth of rain in 24 hours: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54402096

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            Four months worth of rain in 24 hours: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54402096

To no-one's great surprise, 3rd October was the wettest day ever recorded in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54561601

Always hard for the non-meteorologist to judge these things, of course, but the weather over here seems to be increasingly getting into ruts, when it's wet, dry, hot etc. for week after week.

Comment

I've just read that, staggering statistics to come from that storm. I was up in North Yorkshire that weekend and the bridge near me rose 15ft in 36 hours. It wasn't so much the rain in one area though, it was more the fact it affected such a wide area.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

To no-one's great surprise, 3rd October was the wettest day ever recorded in the UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54561601

Always hard for the non-meteorologist to judge these things, of course, but the weather over here seems to be increasingly getting into ruts, when it's wet, dry, hot etc. for week after week.
                Indeed and that had been duly noted on met forums...

Comment

After our excellent Fall Foliage map, I now offer this - comically stupid - infographic.

Comment

Wot no brunch?

Comment

Our comedy weather forecasts keep coming.

Comment

Wonder if they do that for any kind of garden work

Carrot sowing forecast
                        Lawn mowing forecast

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          Our comedy weather forecasts keep coming.
                          I used to live in a house where the small back garden backed on to a row of huge trees and we really caught the leaf-fall every year. A gradual fall and I'd be out for several consecutive weekends raking the bastards. But if you left it til they accumulated so you could do them all in one go it would inevitably piss down for a week and make the task more difficult. Some windy days I'd be out raking and they'd be coming down faster than I could rake them. And this was in not very leafy (according to that study the other day) Cumbria, so can only imagine the annual leaf apocalypse in New England. Serious business. I'd probably give it a go on the Sunday on that forecast.

Comment

My old flat was surrounded by huge trees and I drove myself nuts the first year trying to keep the leaf-fall under control. Then I got someone in, about ?30 three times over the autumn, with just some light work needed from me in between.

Comment

Hurricane Zeta due to hit New Orleans on Wednesday night: 75mph winds (upgraded from Tropical Storm in the last hour or so).

Comment

Been lightly snowing the last 18 hours or so. Nice to wake up to this:

Comment

That's about a year's worth of snow for London...

Comment

It's gone from nearly clear blue skies to pissing it down thunderstorm in about three minutes.

Comment

I was just about to post that. It went very dark, very quickly. And we also had hail.

Comment

Just got caught in it, the thunder and lightning were very close together.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                          It's gone from nearly clear blue skies to pissing it down thunderstorm in about three minutes.

Yeh, I'm meeting up with a couple of mates. One of them who's up in Barnet sent me a video clip of it lashing it down. Funny, I thought, blue skies here. Then I went out and saw what was heading my way from t' north.

Comment

Currently 15.5 C outside. Apparently this could be the warmest November night in the UK on record. Bit blowy though.

As of a week or so ago it was already the 9th wettest October in London in 160 years or something, so I'll be interested to see what the final rainfall total was. Incidentally, the wettest was in 1940, which must have been handy during the Blitz.

Comment

Fog: the first of the autumn

(if not the year - I don't remember any from last autumn / winter either, tbh)

Comment

Hurricane Local Statement
                                                Alert: This product covers South Florida ...Impacts To Being Later Today into Tonight For South Florida... NEW INFORMATION --------------- *

CHANGES TO WATCHES AND WARNINGS: - None * CURRENT WATCHES AND WARNINGS: - A Tropical Storm Warning and Hurricane Watch are in effect for Coastal Broward, Inland Miami-Dade, and Metro Miami-Dade - A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for Coastal Palm Beach, Glades, Hendry, Inland Broward, Inland Collier, Inland Palm Beach, Metro Broward, and Metro Palm Beach - A Tropical Storm Warning, Storm Surge Watch, and Hurricane Watch are in effect for Coastal Collier, Coastal Miami-Dade, Far South Miami-Dade, and Mainland Monroe * STORM INFORMATION: - About 300 miles south of Miami FL or about 360 miles south-southeast of Naples FL - 21.5N 79.3W - Storm Intensity 65 mph - Movement Northeast or 35 degrees at 12 mph

SITUATION OVERVIEW ------------------ Tropical Storm Eta is forecast to move through the Florida Straits today and across the Florida Keys tonight before moving into the Southeastern Gulf of Mexico early this week. Uncertainty remains with the specific track and intensity of Eta which means that residents, visitors, and those with interests in South Florida should remain aware of the latest forecast and complete the necessary preparations in their hurricane preparedness plans to safeguard their families, homes, and businesses. The primary concerns are urban and flash flooding due to torrential rainfall, tropical storm force winds, and dangerous marine conditions into early this week. Portions of southern Florida could see a reasonable worst case scenario where Eta could strengthen and produce hurricane force winds. Isolated tornadoes and waterspouts are also a secondary concern. Some coastal flooding of vulnerable low-lying docks, parking lots, and roads due to Eta is possible with the greatest risk in coastal Miami-Dade and the Southwest Florida coast. Regardless of the specific classification of this system, the aforementioned threats will be a concern heading into the next few days.

POTENTIAL IMPACTS ----------------- *

FLOODING RAIN: Protect against life-threatening rainfall flooding having possible extensive impacts across east coast metro areas. Potential impacts include: - Major rainfall flooding may prompt many evacuations and rescues. - Ditches and canals may rapidly overflow their banks in multiple places. Flood control systems and barriers may become stressed. - Flood waters can enter many structures within multiple communities, some structures becoming uninhabitable or washed away. Many places where flood waters may cover escape routes. Streets, parking lots and underpasses become submerged. Driving conditions become dangerous. Many road and bridge closures with some weakened or washed out. Protect against dangerous rainfall flooding having possible limited to significant impacts across interior and west coast metro areas. * WIND: Protect against life-threatening wind having possible extensive impacts across much of urban Miami-Dade and coastal Broward Counties. Potential impacts in this area include: - Considerable roof damage to sturdy buildings, with some having window, door, and garage door failures leading to structural damage. Mobile homes severely damaged, with some destroyed. Damage accentuated by airborne projectiles. Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks. - Many large trees snapped or uprooted along with fences and roadway signs blown over. - Some roads impassable from large debris, and more within urban or heavily wooded places. Several bridges, causeways, and access routes impassable. - Large areas with power and communications outages. Also, protect against dangerous wind having possible limited to significant impacts across rest of South Florida. *

TORNADOES: Protect against a tornado event having possible limited impacts across South Florida. Potential impacts include: - The occurrence of isolated tornadoes can hinder the execution of emergency plans during tropical events. - A few places may experience tornado damage, along with power and communications disruptions. - Locations could realize roofs peeled off buildings, mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned, large tree tops and branches snapped off, shallow-rooted trees knocked over, moving vehicles blown off roads, and small boats pulled from moorings. * SURGE: Protect against life-threatening surge having possible significant impacts across coastal Miami-Dade County and the Southwest Florida coast. Potential impacts in this area include: - Areas of inundation with storm surge flooding accentuated by waves. Damage to several buildings, mainly near the coast. - Sections of near-shore escape routes and secondary roads become weakened or washed out, especially in usually vulnerable low spots. - Major beach erosion with heavy surf breaching dunes. Strong and numerous rip currents. - Moderate damage to marinas, docks, boardwalks, and piers. Several small craft broken away from moorings, especially in unprotected anchorages. Also, protect against locally hazardous surge having possible limited impacts across coastal Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Elsewhere across South Florida, little to no impact is anticipated.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS ----------------------------------

* EVACUATIONS: Listen to local official for recommended preparedness actions, including possible evacuation. If ordered to evacuate, do so immediately. For those not under evacuation orders, assess the risk from wind, falling trees, and flooding at your location. If you decide to move, relocate to a safer location nearby. If you do not relocate, help keep roadways open for those under evacuation orders.

* OTHER PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION: Now is the time to complete all preparations to protect life and property in accordance with your emergency plan. Ensure you are in a safe location before the onset of strong winds or possible flooding. Keep cell phones well charged. Cell phone chargers for automobiles can be helpful, but be aware of your risk for deadly carbon monoxide poisoning if your car is left idling in a garage or other poorly ventilated area. It is important to remain calm, informed, and focused during an emergency. Be patient and helpful with those you encounter. If you are a visitor, be sure to know the name of the city or town in which you are staying and the name of the county or parish in which it resides. Listen for these locations in local news updates. Pay attention for instructions from local authorities. Rapidly rising flood waters are deadly. If you are in a flood-prone area, consider moving to higher ground. Never drive through a flooded roadway. Remember, turn around don`t drown! Closely monitor weather.gov, NOAA Weather radio or local news outlets for official storm information. Be ready to adapt to possible changes to the forecast. Ensure you have multiple ways to receive weather warnings.

* ADDITIONAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION: - For information on appropriate preparations see ready.gov - For information on creating an emergency plan see getagameplan.org - For additional disaster preparedness information see redcross.org

NEXT UPDATE ----------- The next local statement will be issued by the National Weather Service in Miami FL around 11 AM, or sooner if conditions warrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                                  Fog: the first of the autumn

(if not the year - I don't remember any from last autumn / winter either, tbh)
                                                  Again this morning - still not fully cleared.

Comment

The juxtapositioning of the last two posts is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X