No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good riding weather? What the hell the planet are you on? It's horrible down here in the SE of England at the moment. None of that dry heat you get in Africa, oh no this is full on saturated air and I am sweating bucket loads! It's going to be a hellish night, the sort of nights I dread. The last couple of nights I have been staying in a Travelodge in Lincoln as i have been walking the Viking Way and with the air con on, you like, really low, I have had some brilliant nights sleep. But tonight - even next to the coast - it's horrible.

The reward will be storms over the next 3-4 days. big storms. Very big thundery ones and lost sleep for some big thunderstorms like these are a price worth paying.

Getting excited!

Comment

Went up to 28c today, no issue on a bike, you generate your own air con. Upper limit of my heat tolerance unless there is a sustained breeze and it's bone dry.

Comment

"But it's not the heat, it's the humidity"

Comment

Is this "UK" heatwave I keep reading about just South East England then? If anything it's a bit nippy here.

Comment

33c and sticky down here in the Kent Weald today, but our south-facing courtyard thermometer is showing 44c. Tbh it doesn't feel insufferably hot, provided you don't exert yourself too much.

Comment

Mid 20's but high humidity here...Another ride today, a harder one...barely any wind aside from when I was moving. Home and couch bound now, after stuffing a bit of food down my face.

Comment

Not quite as warm as yesterday (about 23oC) but it feels muggier without the breeze.

Comment

31C down here in Essex today, it was 35C yesterday. It's clouded over now and there are some thunderstorms off the coast of France and Belgium which might come over. The rest of the week looks seriously stormy with loads of thunderstorms forecast. Looks like fun!!!

Comment

Went to Bournemouth today, but not mad enough to go to the beach (I loathe the beach). Instead, lunch with my brother and his girlfriend (girlfriend, he's 41 and she's in her 30s) in their flat.

Hot, but out of the sun and excellent food. Also a round of mini golf which was nice, even though I have as much talent at golf as I do at ballet.

Comment

My wife had her standard Saturday ballet class (Zoom based since...) but it was less strenuous than usual because of the humidity.

Comment

My partner's gone for a 40 minute run in the old river bed, and is thankful that the temperature has fallen to a more comfortable 26C.

Comment

It's suppose to drop pretty rapidly around here over the next few hours (in fact it already should have been). Supposedly down to 24C already, down to 17C by midnight. Time to throw open some windows, I think.

Comment

Every window open in the house, there is a light breeze and it feels less humid with the clouds burning up

Comment

Like every true Irishman, I struggle with the humidity when the mercury exceeds 20?, as it has done today.

Comment

I dread warm Saturday nights - those interminable garden parties carrying on until 2 a.m.

I'm sure my neighbours are lovely people but they shouldn't be allowed to speak.

Comment

It's still 29C here, closing in on midnight. I'm rather done with this heat.

Comment

I recall being out at 2am one hot, sultry night in Geneva and the temperature being 29c...I have had my fair share of sleepless nights in my hometown.

Comment

Pissed it down here for about 24 hours. Thunder, lightning, the way it came down it was frightening (sorry Amii). Obviously we are used to 30 or 40+ here, but having been in London in 2018 anything above 25 there is pretty awful. We went to Greenwich on that trip and it looked like the Wheatbelt in February - parched and brown.

Comment

Seems to be even hotter today in SE England than it has been for the last few days which were, I think, supposed to have been very slightly warmer. Lack of a cooling breeze perhaps.

I'm taking on water like a steam train.

Comment

My bit of central Lancs had the most pathetic attempt at a downpour at about 2pm that lasted about three minutes. It's now even hotter, muggier and humid than before, under clear skies and up against hills that look like they should be birthing huge thunderstorm clouds but aren't. This disappoints me a) because I love a good thunderstorm and b) I've re-set my makeshift rain gauge by chucking the last lot on the rockery.
                                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 10-08-2020, 16:00.

Comment

Not much to report here in the outer reaches of Merseyside but the radar shows Wales being hammered for a few hours now

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                                              Not much to report here in the outer reaches of Merseyside but the radar shows Wales being hammered for a few hours now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53726444

Comment

Beautiful blue sky here in Costa Del Bromley. Looks like we're getting the shit weather last, as it doesn't look like rain until at least Thursday.
                                                Next week looks a bit crappy though. There's nothing more miserable than rain when the kids are on their holidays. Especially after 5 months of lockdown.

Comment

Three heavy showers here on the Scouse coast this afternoon, one with thunder and a kitchen-illuminating flash of lightning.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    Seems to be even hotter today in SE England than it has been for the last few days which were, I think, supposed to have been very slightly warmer. Lack of a cooling breeze perhaps.

I'm taking on water like a steam train.
                                                    I don't think the weather was necessarily any hotter, I just think we're feeling the residual effect of the place having been baked in 30+ temperatures for 5 days straight. SE England does not shed excess heat easily.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X