Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    It's not exactly Kuwait levels, but it's supposed to reach 34 degrees in London this afternoon. Very glad I got my AC fixed yesterday.

The Beeb has London hitting 35C so it'll probably be a bit higher than that somewhere, which should give the country its hottest day of the year.

It's really windy here at the moment. It's not exactly a cooling breeze as it's already 29C in the shade, but it helps.

Possibility of thunderstorms too.
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 31-07-2020, 11:52.

Comment

Well it was very warm when I was out earlier. Glad to get home.

Comment

Other things being equal, weather that is uncomfortably hot is more challenging when you have fragile mental health I think. I often try to mitigate attacks of depression or anxiety by taking brisk exercise in the fresh air. I think a physical work out generates some kind of mood-lifting chemicals. But that's not really an option when the shade temperature is 33 C, as it is today in Cambridge. Edit: very glad it's going to be several deg C cooler here tomorrow.

Comment

You poor bastards. It’s going to be 35 here today, too. But (1) It’s a non-humid heat; (2) Almost everyone has air on. Even so, 35 is hot enough to be a bit debilitating.

Comment

Currently 34.3C in my back garden. I reckon that one of the usual suspects (Kew, Heathrow) is going to get over 36C.

Comment

My phone is telling me it's 36 degrees in SE London.

Comment

Just went out to post something. Even wearing a hat and in the shade it was pretty unbearable after a couple of minutes

Comment

Nice 26 deg in Glasgow today.... Back to 16 deg by Sunday....

Comment

37.8 at Heatrow

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                      37.8 at Heatrow

Fuck!

Comment

Without any heat buildup most of the week too...And a repeat is increasingly likely next week-end

Comment

Third hottest day on record in the UK and there's quite often a late submission from one of the smaller weather stations that pushes the number even higher.

Comment

43 in Cordoba.

Comment

I think it peaked at about 29 here in Merseyside, which was still plenty hot enough when you're trying to work at the kitchen table. Has clouded over since 4pm though, wind has swung from S to W and I reckon it's dropped 5 degrees in about 90 minutes.

Comment

Very cloudy in the London area now. Could be in for those thunderstorms.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                  Third hottest day on record in the UK and there's quite often a late submission from one of the smaller weather stations that pushes the number even higher.
                                  What's even odder is that it appears to be surrounded by days of decidedly-average temperature for the time of year.

One of the 'hotter' days must've been 1 July 2015, which as I recall topped out at 36 degrees celsius (96f) in south London. (I also recall a crazy week of hot weather here during August 2003, but don't have exact dates.)

Comment

Yes, the first week of August 2003 had at least one extremely hot day in London.

Comment

Currently 16C here, predicted to rise to 23C this afternoon.
                                      Take that, weather stereotypes!

Comment

I finally got to sit outside and drink a nice cold beer, and it fucking starts to rain. I blame DCI Harry Batt ...

Comment

I blame you living oop north...

Comment

Yeah, I suppose that Harrow's virtually Arctic to you...

Comment

Too right. We see Winchester as the Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                I finally got to sit outside and drink a nice cold beer, and it fucking starts to rain. I blame DCI Harry Batt ...
                                                I'll take it. Anything for rain.

Comment

Don't know the official temperature here but 29C was predicted. I do know that I have got three laundry loads washed and line-dried on one day - I put the first one out, checked it after an hour and it was dry - which must be a personal first, and that attempting a run proved to be a poor idea, which is not a first.
                                                  Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 31-07-2020, 18:07.

Comment

Model after model runs across multiple platforms show a stonking heat plume hitting us next weekend, again...As things stand, the record appears in danger to fall and 40c to be reached somewhere in the South-East...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X