• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    24 April
    Cloudy with periods of rain, 7C at 10am

4 September
    Cloudy at first with occasional rain or drizzle, 14C at 10am

Via the front page of the Evening Chronicle for the days in question, accessed via the British Library's British Newspaper Archive
    ursus arctos Have you got a subscription to that then? I was just trying to access some obituaries of my great grandfather but frankly £7 a month seems a bit steep.

(Just to be clear, this is out of interest, not trying to get you to do my research for me - I've managed to find the information elsewhere)
    Last edited by Etienne; 15-05-2020, 11:32.

Comment

Not currently, though I have had in the past

I was able to get the Newcastle data using their very limited free searches

Comment

I just feel a bit bitter that after a few years of having to trek to Colindale to access it back when I had a readers pass, now that I can do it from home I have to pay a fee which I don't think really bears much reflection on the cost of allowing access.

Comment

That occurred to me as well

The NYPL has negotiated agreements with a number of its service providers to allow home access to databases that are usually only available in libraries for as long as the libraries are closed.

Comment

This doesn't sound good.
            West Bengal, Odisha and coastal areas of Bangladesh on high alert for super-cyclone

Comment

Not very timely now, but it feels remiss to have nothing on the Michigan flooding. Thankfully it seems people had time to evacuate, but Midland must be totally destroyed at this point with 35 feet of floodwater. Not to mention the contamination from the chemical plant.

Also, Kolkata, holy shit. The immediate death toll seems relatively low given the damage, luckily, but it could be horrific if it contributes to a coronavirus outbreak, or just a "usual"post-disaster outbreak
              Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 21-05-2020, 12:43.

Comment

Dow Chemical is headquartered in Midland

https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/status/1263158136967434242

Comment

The amazing Spring weather that we're having in southern England and much of the rest of the country, the onset of which seemed to coincide almost exactly with the start of the lockdown, is adding substantially to the surreality of the current situation. I'm getting a tantalising glimpse of what it must be like to live in a country with a pleasant climate.

Comment

I suspect this could be the driest, mildest and sunniest Spring on record in the UK, given that the met office uses the period 1st March-31st May. Even though we've had also some cooler temperatures and breezy days at times in the North East (bordering on gale force this weekend gone), we've barely had any significant rain since the first week of March. There have been other Spring months in the past which have been exceptional (May 2018, March 2012, April 2011) but few as consistent over three months.

At the moment, the ground is rock solid and in the local parkland, I'm discovering paths in the woods I've never been on before, because they're often boggy and not easy to access. There are also some stepping stones across the burn which I never knew existed. The waterfalls look a lot less intense too.

It also makes me wonder how much worse the country's state of mind would have been if the weather had been atrocious during the lockdown like it was in February.? Imagine queuing outside the shops while it's tipping it down day after day.

Comment

Pissing down in SWFL, which is a good thing because it will keep the idiots indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                        It also makes me wonder how much worse the country's state of mind would have been if the weather had been atrocious during the lockdown like it was in February.? Imagine queuing outside the shops while it's tipping it down day after day.

Yes, I've been wondering about that too. The good weather certainly helps lift the mood generally but OTOH it must be difficult if you can't enjoy it in the sort of ways that you would normally do. It's been quite warm on occasion too which isn't great if you're stuck in a small, confined space.

Comment

Yes, it's very much a double edged sword. I'm very lucky to live within walking distance of some beautiful parkland, but feel for those who don't have such access. On the flip side I wish I could have got out to see so much more while the weather, light and colours have been so good because it could all change in a heartbeat to rain and cold again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

This is one of these things when I'm totally out of step with most people. I'd vastly prefer it to be miserable during lockdown. I'm only going outside once a week or so, but I have to deal with the heat all the time.

Comment

I know it's all academic, but there are other "what if'" elements that keep springing to mind. Such as a prolonged spell of bad weather preventing more gatherings outside and any potential second spikes (especially over the Bank Holidays and VE Day) or how a run of major storms (such as last winter) would have impacted the public and emergency services. On the one hand, the UK has been very lucky to have such good weather, but at the same time, it could well come back to haunt us.

Mind you, if any extreme weather had happened, then the PM would no doubt have done a disappearing act, a bit like he did during the February flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                This is one of these things when I'm totally out of step with most people. I'd vastly prefer it to be miserable during lockdown. I'm only going outside once a week or so, but I have to deal with the heat all the time.
                                This, except I do go outside every day to walk the dog.
                                The last couple of days have been harder as it's been really hot here, and the house gets stuffy if we're all in it all day on a hot day.

Comment

To absolutely no-one's surprise the UK has just had the sunniest Spring on record: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52849367

Also the driest May in England for 124 years.

Comment

I'm currently based in a North Tyneside district that is notoriously cold both inside and outside the building. I've never worked here when it is hot, even in summer.

Today I needed a hat, sun cream, and bottle of water when I went out for my lunch. Apparently it's hotter than London.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      To absolutely no-one's surprise the UK has just had the sunniest Spring on record: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52849367

Also the driest May in England for 124 years.
                                      Insult/Injury.....

Comment

Just think how much worse it would have been if we'd all been queuing outside of shops in the pissing rain rather then glorious sunshine!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                          Just think how much worse it would have been if we'd all been queuing outside of shops in the pissing rain rather then glorious sunshine!
                                          I'd rather it had been pissing it down for 2 months. No regrets being stuck at home, less people taking the piss...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

I'd rather it had been pissing it down for 2 months. No regrets being stuck at home, less people taking the piss...
                                            I have to confess I agree with you. From a weather point of view I hate dry sunny skies with no rain, how boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

I have to confess I agree with you. From a weather point of view I hate dry sunny skies with no rain, how boring.
                                              Give over you madman, the only reason I rather it was pissing it down is that I am stuck in a dull place. When I think about all the hiking, camping and wildcamping I could have done in this glorious weather...Only plus is lots of bike riding.

Comment

Well I'm eternally grateful that Daddy School has been conducted mostly outside on the terrace and we've been able to drop everything and run round the garden or get on bikes or scooters instead of being housebound.
                                                I do realise how fortunate that is compared to others. (Although not having a job does have downsides like burning through my savings etc.)

Comment

Standby for a change in weather patterns on Wednesday when a change to unsettled weather will return

Honestly, I never thought I would forget what a cloud would look like, but these last three months have been incredibly sunny. Just think how much worse it would have been queuing for the supermarket in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

Give over you madman, the only reason I rather it was pissing it down is that I am stuck in a dull place. When I think about all the hiking, camping and wildcamping I could have done in this glorious weather...Only plus is lots of bike riding.
                                                    I sympathise. I'm just thankful that I'm not at my current workplace five days a week right now, mostly because the immediate area has no redeeming features whatsoever and is pretty bleak. I'm also gutted that we've missed our holiday in Scotland and any other potential day trips, especially when I think of how our last long break was absolutely rain sodden.

On the flip side, I'm eternally grateful that I live somewhere with nice places close by and that I'm not in the position of some people up here who have been trapped indoors for weeks. The nerd in me is also eagerly awaiting the Met Office summary and maps for the period March-May, although they already disclosed some info as seen in the thread earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X