No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Register on Netweather forum and look for the historical weather thread, plenty of weather geeks happy to help!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Is that an example or do you really want to know?
      I really want to know, for 24 April and 4 September 1971.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

24 April
        Cloudy with periods of rain, 7C at 10am

4 September
        Cloudy at first with occasional rain or drizzle, 14C at 10am

Via the front page of the Evening Chronicle for the days in question, accessed via the British Library's British Newspaper Archive
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 05-05-2020, 15:32.

Comment

Have a like for that Ursus that was a fantastic response!

Comment

Are you a Geordie Biff Tannen?

Comment

https://twitter.com/ErickAdameOnTV/status/1258734653692837889

Comment

I went for a walk along the sea wall this afternoon. A strong easterly wind and a high tide meant the sea was coming over in places and I got wet feet.

Comment

Perfect day for a good ramble on this weather...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                    I went for a walk along the sea wall this afternoon. A strong easterly wind and a high tide meant the sea was coming over in places and I got wet feet.

Watch out for rogue waves, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Watch out for rogue waves, though.

I remember a friend telling me about the time that he was walking along a beach somewhere in SE Asia, with the sea not particularly rough, when he was suddenly engulfed by a huge wave and swept into the water. He was struggling badly and thought he was going to drown when suddenly another huge wave spat him out back onto the beach!

Watching that from a distance must have been incredible.

Comment

Went for an evening walk with my daughter up Black Rider Alley, down Blind Lane and across Sheep Poo Field (one of these names is not made up by me). Rather blowy, but it makes a change from sweating and potential sunburn.

Comment

A drop from twenty degrees here yesterday to around seven today. Factor in a brisk North Easterly wind chill and it is meant to feel as low as two degrees.

We've finally had some rain in the last week after a ridiculously dry Spring (just 2.5mm in Tyne and Wear during April) but the amounts have still been very minimal. Nevertheless, I still find myself having to convince some friends and family down south that it doesn't pour down here regularly just because we're north of Watford.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                            A drop from twenty degrees here yesterday to around seven today. Factor in a brisk North Easterly wind chill and it is meant to feel as low as two degrees.

We've finally had some rain in the last week after a ridiculously dry Spring (just 2.5mm in Tyne and Wear during April) but the amounts have still been very minimal. Nevertheless, I still find myself having to convince some friends and family down south that it doesn't pour down here regularly just because we're north of Watford.

Being on the east coast, Newcastle is relatively dry. It's not that much wetter (650mm p.a. V 600mm p.a./122 wet days p.a. V 110 p.a.) than London.

Comment

A grey and rainy day has given way to a grey and snowy evening. It's settling on the grass and forest but not on the roads, and with an outside temperature of +2C it won't last long.

Comment

Oh bugger I've had a text message from the Environment Agency telling me I'm on flood alert for tomorrow mornings 3am tide due to high winds and spring tides. Good job I live in a first floor flat then!

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post

I understand Middlesbrough to be drier than Bordeaux. But we get more grey, drizzly days and they get proper stormy piss downs. Tyne & Wear is definitely colder than Middlesbrough though, many's the summer day when I have set off in a t-shirt and pulled a shirt on when I arrived. I still think there can't be anywhere windier in the world than here though.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I understand Middlesbrough to be drier than Bordeaux. But we get more grey, drizzly days and they get proper stormy piss downs. Tyne & Wear is definitely colder than Middlesbrough though, many's the summer day when I have set off in a t-shirt and pulled a shirt on when I arrived. I still think there can't be anywhere windier in the world than here though.
                                    The strangest weather I ever experienced was in Middlesbrough. The day we put eight past Manchester City, I travelled up from Harrogate and it was a beautiful, warm sunny day until the train entered Middlesbrough where the weather turned dark, cloudy and cold and that's how it stayed all afternoon. People coming from other directions said the same. Taking the train back, it was warm and sunny again by the time it passed the Newport Bridge and that's how it had been all day. It was only Middlesbrough town centre and the area around the ground that was cold and dark.
                                    Last edited by Capybara; 11-05-2020, 14:05.

Comment

Thank you, Mrs Emerson.

Comment

Twelve years ago today that, apparently.

Comment

Woo.

Comment

I'm just glad we could play a small part in Man City's ascent to glory.

Comment

If this lockdown keeps up my hair is going to resemble his Boro prime.

Comment

The coldest and wettest I've ever been have been on that coast.

Blyth. Fucking hell.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

It's the cooler weather that does for me on Tyne and Wear. Not noticeably different in winter, but more obvious in the warmer months compared to further south and west. It can be a blessing though during a heatwave, such as 2018 when we were getting temperatures in the low 20s rather than high 20s/low 30s. Equally, my workplace in North Tyneside last year hit 28 degrees on the day Cambridge reached 38.

I think the myth ftom my southern friends and relatives about it being stereotypically wet up here stems from the fact that when any of them have come up to visit, it's pissed down in stair rods.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...box=1589375167

It wasn't a stupid question after all then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X