No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More nice weather on the way, possibly until the end of the month. Seems slightly weird that this ridiculously dry and sunny spell (after prolonged rain through the winter) began almost as soon as things were shutting down. A godsend in one way in that people can get outside, but also a nightmare for the authorities in trying to control it.

Comment

I feel so sorry for the TV weather presenters. Throughout the autumn and winter it was just an endless tale of rainy days, with the odd storm to mix things up a bit for them to apologetically reveal. Now that we've got this long spell of fine weather, rather than announce it triumphantly and encourage as all to get out an enjoy it, they have to tell us, by and large, not to!
      Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 19-04-2020, 15:19.

Comment

I've become completely neutral as to what the weather's like.

Comment

Now you know what gingers feel like all the time.

Comment

Well, this weather is leaving me feeling ambivalent...sure, I can ride my bike anywhere as even mudfields are bone dry now but I rather be up a mountain...ah well

Comment

Time to close the windows

https://twitter.com/iembot_okx/status/1252661553674907648

Comment

Wee-haw

https://twitter.com/iembot_okx/status/1252666862795542529

Comment

Holy crap! Stay safe. As they were saying in places that get more tornadoes than NYC does: it's better to stop social distancing if it means you get in a tornado shelter.

Comment

ms ursus was wondering if we should go to the basement, but I'm pleased to report that the warning has now been cancelled for both FF and us

Comment

I imagine that in your kind of building you just need to get away from the windows. It's not the same build quality as the A-frame things made of cardboard and tissue-paper that clutter the US landscape.

Comment

That is pretty much what I told her

Comment

Is this now approaching some kind of record for a spring in Lancashire? Since lockdown began on March 23rd we've had unbroken blue skies every day. Better weather than you'd expect in Tenerife at this time of year. It's probably a very stupid thing to ask, but is there any causal link between shutting down industry and transport and the almost total absence of cloud cover, in a "butterfly flaps its wings" kind of way?
                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 26-04-2020, 09:24.

Comment

Yes, I think there is a link between air pollution and precipitation.

I think I heard one of the weather presenters say last night that NW England had only had 6% of it's average April rainfall so far this month, but we've got a few damp days coming up so that figure's probably going to change.

Comment

I think it's mostly coincidence. We had a really wet and rainy start to the lockdown in normally dry Southern California March and early April. Right now we have record breaking heat.

Comment

I think I read something once that suggested the reason why it seems to rain more at the weekend than during the week is something to do with microclimate and the drop in temperature when there are fewer people in cities.
                                That may have been debunked though.

Comment

There was a mad stat the other night on BBC Weather which mentioned Bingley in Yorkshire having 300mm of rain in February and so far only 1mm throughout April. It feels comparable in a way with 2018 when we got a massive (but brief) dollop of snow at the tail end of a chilly winter and then stunning Spring sunshine that ended up lasting through until August.

I can only recall one proper recent rainfall here in the North East which was overnight about two weeks ago. Otherwise, nothing significant, if at all since the beginning of March.

Comment

High latitude blocking caused this, establishing high pressure over UK, jet stream was pushed way south.

It's changing now, say goodbye to the dryness, embrace wetness...take a brolly for the shop queues

Comment

Huge connectivity going on in northern France tonight. Beginning to get excited about our first rain fall for weeks.

Comment

Looking at the previous temperature averages for April, I can't really see how this month won't break records, by quite some margin, though maybe these next few days will help push it back down.

Comment

It certainly feels a lot less summery today, I am not going to hang outside with my coffee on my break...

Comment

The UK sunshine totals for this month are an all-time record for April.

Comment

So, speaking of weather, is there a simplish internet way of finding the weather in Newcastle upon Tyne on two dates in 1971?

Comment

Surprisingly difficult, at least initially.

Durham appears to be the closest historical Met Office station, and their data is only by month

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/dat...durhamdata.txt

Which leads me to believe that newspapers would be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                  So, speaking of weather, is there a simplish internet way of finding the weather in Newcastle upon Tyne on two dates in 1971?
                                                  Is that an example or do you really want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

You could try the university's geography department.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X