Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    It's those cheeky Spaniards, coming up with their own storm names and ignoring UK conventions: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yor...-2003652%3famp
    "The storm was named by the Spanish meteorological agency on Thursday (27 Feb) and is expected to land on UK shores over the weekend.

This of course means that the name is pronounced ‘hor-hay’ rather than like ‘George’."

Really?

Comment

Until I started looking at that global winds webpage that someone linked to a week or two ago, I had no idea what a windy part of the world I lived in.

Is it, actually, the windiest, outside of the Arctic or Antarctic?

Comment

The Met Office have just announced that this is the wettest February on record, by quite some distance too.

Comment

Fingers crossed the consistent signal for the Azores High ridging up north and indeed over the UK for the 2nd week of March does not dissipate...

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
            The Met Office have just announced that this is the wettest February on record, by quite some distance too.
            The leap day is more than living up to that so far. Pissing it down right now.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Lyricara/status/1233600613428142081

Comment

How do you even open the door to get out?

Comment

That can't be far from WOM, right?

Comment

Not as the crow flies, but a different lake and different weather system.

In between, there are places on the NewYork shore of Ontario that got more than two feet of snow in less than 24 hours yesterday

SB, my question as well.

Comment

Yeah true. I was just hoping he could hop on his bike and get us some more pics.

Comment

Now on the one hand, you can't be calling off the GAA season when there's a storm every weekend for the past month. But on the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this.

[URL]https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1233836984671592448[/URL]

Comment

That Nashville tornado was scarily close to where my mom and sister live, but they escaped unharmed. My sister said that just a few streets over had trees down. They are without electricity and my mom's cellphone went to voicemail, but my sister had texted earlier to let me know they were all OK.

I had just spoken to mom yesterday afternoon and she said their weather was quiet and unremarkable. Weather is one of the things we talk about to avoid things like politics. These storms that just pop up out of the blue with little warning are unnerving. 19 people dead. Not much they could have done to save themselves, from what I can tell.

Comment

‘Kin hell. It hasn’t stopped pissing it down all day (again) and our local stream has flooded, blocking the lane and turning the fields into lakes. There’ll be a few poor sods with flood damage round our way - including the old mill on the River Teise about half a mile away where all the water is headed.

Don’t envy them (3rd time under water this winter!). It’s on the market too: yours for about 800 grand if you fancy living in wellies full-time.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                              ‘Kin hell. It hasn’t stopped pissing it down all day (again) and our local stream has flooded, blocking the lane and turning the fields into lakes. There’ll be a few poor sods with flood damage round our way - including the old mill on the River Teise about half a mile away where all the water is headed.

Don’t envy them (3rd time under water this winter!). It’s on the market too: yours for about 800 grand if you fancy living in wellies full-time.
                              Yes, south of London has been hit with heavy rain all day. Funnily enough when I was wondering who it might affect I thought that it might be bad for you and the other Kent OTFers in the Weald. We're quite lucky over in Surrey. The Mole floods occasionally around Horley and Leatherhead but the Thames and Wey are usually not too bad.
                              Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 06-03-2020, 20:04.

Comment

In the last five minutes I've seen out my window blue skies, snow, hail, and rain.

Comment

And now hail again.

Comment

I was just about to post about the hail here (South London).

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                      In the last five minutes I've seen out my window blue skies, snow, hail, and rain.
                                      Sounds like it's taken two and a half hours to get from us to you - we had an apocalyptic moment as the winds whipped up, the skies darkened, and it lashed it down, but five minutes later it was sunny and placid as before.

Comment

It was extremely windy for most all of yesterday, and did some damage locally.

https://twitter.com/JoyBergmann/status/1246045626846019586

Comment

I presume that the boulders were left as a result of the accompanying storm surge.

Comment

I wondered who was going to ask about that.

They are actually there because there is a mosque on the corner and serve two functions:

1) making it more difficult for taxi drivers to park/perch there while visiting the mosque, thus impeding traffic at a complicated intersection. It is the most convenient mosque for anyone on the West Side.

2) protecting the mosque from vehicle-borne bombs (similar systems, some of which are much more robust, became common in Lower Manhattan after 9/11)

Comment

From the weekend onwards the South of England, possibly elsewhere in the country too, is forecast to benefit from a lot of warm, sunny weather which will be a big test for the lockdown.

Comment

Bloody hell this is good, storms breaking out all over southern England tonight. After one of the wettest February's on record we have just had one of the driest March and Aprils, with all the fields now dry dusty and parched for rain. The good news comes from northern France where the moisture air is colliding with the cold air somewhere over the English channel and setting off thunderstorms. Lots of them.

Look out for the big storm heading over Brighton and Eastbourne right now. Have fun!

Comment

I have a feeling the gap between the two main storms is going to reduce and they will end up merging. The power may will be intense!

Comment

Thunder and all-night rain near us last night. Now just a bit overcast.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X