No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weather's been so mild up here that we've barely had a winter at all. We just about had a white Christmas, but since then temperatures have been abnormally high, with only a little snow or rain. In fact, there's so little snow that this year's Terwa marathon cross-country ski race has had to be cancelled for the first time in its 130-odd year history. On the minus side there's ice everywhere and it's very dark in the evenings, but on the other side of the coin heating bills seem a little lower and there's no need for me to get up on the roof and fish the snow down.

Comment

It's pissing down here in Austin. My son's soccer practice is likely to be very muddy. Might have to put trash bin liners over the car seats.

Comment

There was some local flooding since the weekend - for the 2nd time this winter parts of Yalding (Kent) copped it because the Medway meets two tributaries there and idiots keep putting houses and mobile home parks too close to river level - but mostly it was a lucky escape for people in the danger zones round here despite rivers and streams bursting their banks. Maybe the local Environment Agency deserve a bit of credit for ensuring just fields took the brunt of the overflow this time.

Comment

My brother's workplace got flooded in Shrewsbury

Comment

Rode home (Sunderland-Newcastle) yesterday pm. Took the back, country road from Nissan to Gateshead and found it cut off half way along (fenced, with a Northumbria Water sign, so I imagine due to flooding) so worked my way back to ride alongside the A184 instead.

Just as I hit Newcastle Quayside the sky went very very dark and I hid for half an hour under cover while the torrents fell. Just as I was thinking 'ah, well- this isn't stopping, better just go before it gets actually dark' a glimmer of light appeared, like the dove scene in Blade Runner and shortly after I was able to scoot along on wet roads for the last 15 mins without getting seriously soaked.

So, just when I was thinking the NE had been largely unaffected...

Comment

There's another storm happening here right now. Then again, it could just be typical weekend weather.

Comment

I spent the weekend in North Wales, and it was largely problem free, but if it had been any worse, it wouldn't have been. Shrewsbury town centre which we went through is surrounded a river, so four out of five approaches to the station where impassable (or something like that). picking someone up from the station with luggage, which seems such a simple thing, was fraught with problems.

Comment

We found the anti-downdraft chimney cowl in the back garden last Sunday and a tiny amount of water was driven through a crack in the rendering on the bay window in our bedroom. Annoying but not really on the scale of the devastation elsewhere (to put it mildly).

Although I must have drunk more than I thought because I didn't hear a thing and you'd think a bit of the roof parting company with the house would make a noise.

Comment

There is nothing good showing in the next couple of weeks alas. Colder next week too, so snow could become an issue at altitude and further north...

Comment

Define “good.” Because I know how you freaks have some bizarre ideas of what constitutes “good” weather.

Comment

Forgot to add...February was the month that was highlighted by long range forecast as potentially calmer, something which normally occurs due to a declining polar vortex gearing up towards the season final warming and the shift towards spring in the northern hemisphere. Well, no such luck this year, the polar vortex is a perfect circular beast roaring at near record speed and showing no signs whatsoever of declining. Excellent news for the Arctic, it's vey cold up there now, as it should be but don't expect spring to arrive early this year in the UK as the Euro High that has had a large impact on the continent this winter simply has no room to move up towards us due to the strength of the Jet Stream. There is also the potential of all that bottled up cold up there eventually filter down towards us well into meteorological spring...

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                          Define “good.” Because I know how you freaks have some bizarre ideas of what constitutes “good” weather.
                          In this instance, by good I meant "settled and milder"...

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                            I spent the weekend in North Wales, and it was largely problem free
                            An incredibly rare situation in these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                              28º C and dry for me. Below 20º and I start getting a bit chilly.

Comment

I say problem free, 3 Colours Red, the drive to Dolgellau through Storm David was so wet we almost had to stop a couple of times. And now I see Dolgellau had some floods itself, and Shrewsbury is still threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

28º C and dry for me. Below 20º and I start getting a bit chilly.
                                  I dream of living down your way.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                    I say problem free, 3 Colours Red
                                    I meant more figuratively... I accept that the tone may have been lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      My brother's workplace got flooded in Shrewsbury
                                      Going to get flooded again. It was featured on ITV news tonight apparently.

Comment

The whole country is like a sponge ready to burst, a period of settled weather is a must and there is nothing as such until at least mid-March...

Comment

My local weather report is predicting snow on Thursday. I hope it does, simply because my daughter has grand plans for the next snow day, involving construction of an igloo and banishing all the teachers from her school so the kids can have an all day snowball fight.

Comment

The Severn is due to peak this afternoon. Record levels by all accounts.

The Council have shut the Abbey Foregate carpark and all trains about to be cancelled.

The Abbey Foregate carpark shutting is rather alarming.

Comment

Was it Shrewsbury that was on the BBC 10 O'Clock News report last night, when they interviewed a bloke who said that he'd advised his girlfriend to leave her car in a local car park and then immediately cut to the car up to its roof in floodwater?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                Was it Shrewsbury that was on the BBC 10 O'Clock News report last night, when they interviewed a bloke who said that he'd advised his girlfriend to leave her car in a local car park and then immediately cut to the car up to its roof in floodwater?
                                                Yes, it was. Though I suspect it might ex-girlfriend now.

Comment

If this is storm Jorge, and the last two big ones were Ciara and Dennis (only 3 and 2 weeks ago) what happened to Ellie, Fred, Gina, Humphrey and Ida?

Comment

It's those cheeky Spaniards, coming up with their own storm names and ignoring UK conventions: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yor...-2003652%3famp

Comment

Working...
                                                    X