No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to tell you all this, but Storm Dennis could be on it's way for the weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
      Yeah saw that last night. The video, that is, not the boat.

It's kinda what they do, those boats, but it's always amazing seeing it.

Brave, brave men.

Actually, the fact that the boat didn't capsize might not be the most jaw-dropping element of the story, someone having gone out in those conditions to surf and him being found alive and rescued after an hour or so giving us something of a three-way tie.

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

On the Newcastle train from Peterborough. Just passed through a seriously big hailstorm outside the city and everything since has been covered white (at Newark now). Can't work out if it is all down to hail, sleet, or actual snow, but the sky is now clearing after almost half an hour.
          Last edited by Arturo; 10-02-2020, 15:47.

Comment

There is a large tree blocking a popular shortcut to / from my son's nursery. It almost looks like you can squeeze past it, but you absolutely can't. Slightly amusing watching all the teenagers stride confidently towards it, hesitate, and then turn back when their brains finally kick in. Should have taken a photo but forgot.

Comment

NB, the tree must have come down some time today, not yesterday, because I managed to walk that route with my son first thing this morning.

Comment

It was all calm and sunny here this morning, now it's gone wild again.

I surveyed the damage on my roof terrace - the palm tree has blown over and a couple of pots are rolling around. Not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I know it shouldn't be possible, but that windmill actually looks embarrassed.
                  Yeah, I feel like I shouldn't be gawping at it. Give it a robe, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                    I live in Kendal and it's not so bad here - some minor flooding near the river.

However it's heartbreaking looking at the footage from Appleby, the place where I teach. Needless to say school is out today, but the level of damage on the whole town is extensive after the Eden's banks burst. Homes, shops, livelihoods decimated - many linked to the pupils I teach every day and their parents who I have got to know well. Beyond tragic.
                    Worse to come for them, Storm Denis looks like a slower moving beast that will dump lots of water on us this week-end...

There is also precious little to hope for the rest of the month, the Polar Vortex is on steroid and this means a raging Atlantic...

Comment

https://twitter.com/ErickAdameOnTV/status/1228314877795672064

Comment

70mph gusts recorded over Cornwall and a squall line developing.

Comment

Despite forecasts of 40mph gusts, the market organisers for tomorrow are still playing chicken with the traders. (We cancel, we lose our fee, they cancel we get a refund.) I fully expect to have to get up at 7am, arrive on-site and hang around for an hour waiting for them to call off something that should have been obvious two days ago.

Comment

We win that game of chicken! A lie-in for us!

Comment

No nothing to see here. This is fine.

Comment

For me at least, there genuinely is nothing to see there

Comment

I think he meant

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/envi...cast-1.4175244

Comment

There's a four missing from the end of the url, and I can't edit it. Cheers ursus.

Comment

It's way stormier up here in Lancs than they'd predicted. Which either means the storm's shifted path, or has intensified and the south and west are getting an even bigger battering. My initial jollity about it sharing my name aside, in all seriousness, good luck everyone and don't take any risks re travel etc.

Comment

Bit of random thunder and lightning here for some reason, which as far as I can tell wasn't at all in the forecast.

Comment

I take it we've all seen MacBrayne's trying to dock the MV Caledonian Isles at Ardrossan?

Comment

Seriously wellying it down out there in Stockport.

Comment

Pressure of 921mb in the North Atlantic at the moment is ridiculously low. Hurricanes at that pressure tend to be on the cusp between Cat 4 and Cat 5. And unlike hurricanes, this storm looks huge - it looks like it's creating 50mph+ gusts all the way from Newfoundland to Norway (of course, not being a hurricane, the winds are nothing like as strong). Stay safe, everyone.
                                              Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 16-02-2020, 02:39.

Comment

The weather looks pretty terrible across the UK right now. South Wales had a red warning earlier and the amount of flood warnings has reached an all time record high. Certainly this is shaping up to be a rotten winter for rain as 2012-13 and 2013-14 were.

Comment

Dennis has been wetter but less windy here than Ciara. We're up on high ground (literally and morally) and not close to water, but other areas are suffering again. I was in (Huddersfield) town today and the River Colne, which is normally a babbling stream, was an impressive raging torrent. I watched for a while as it was interesting how many previously unnoticed culverts and storm drains were also dumping into it. The water was rushing to join the Calder before once again flooding Mirfield. They seem a bit pissed off down there.
                                                  Never mind, stick a few more new builds on the flood plain and keep voting Tory, you'll be fine.

Comment

plenty of gusts of 120kmph at mace head observatory in Carna. I'm kind of glad that we managed to sell that house. It's only four fields along the coast.

Is it raining a lot more in the UK? It seems to be having a much bigger impact there, or is it simply that it doesn't happen very often in these areas, so it has a much greater impact. I mean it's like this quite a lot in Galway, so anything that was going to be blown down was blown down a long time ago. Our drainage systems have to cope with this on a regular basis

Comment

Working...
                                                    X