Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
    We've had some fence panels blown down in Cambridge; it was poorly maintained anyway, and some sections had been leaning precipitously for a while. I can't find anything definitive about whose responsibility it is to fix it; a while ago we paid for some repairs to the fence on the right, looking out from the house to the back garden, and the neighbours to our left are convinced it's our job to maintain the fence on their side. Is it a matter of which side of the house it is, or where the fence posts are, or who shouts loudest?

I thought that householders are supposed to be responsible for the left-hand side back garden fence but I've no idea if that's just common practice or something more legally enforceable.

Still lots of wind and rain in North Surrey. Just had a Sainsbury's delivery. The driver said that the roads are awful, with a lot of flooding and branches down.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
      I thought that householders are supposed to be responsible for the left-hand side back garden fence but I've no idea if that's just common practice or something more legally enforceable.
      There isn't a cast iron general rule. It is worth checking the title plan for 'T' marks which indicate who is responsible but even then the situation on the ground may differ from what the plan suggests. It can become a bit gnarly, for example if the plan indicates that one party is responsible but the existing barrier stands on the other side of the boundary.

Comment

A windmill losing its sails! Windy!

The flooding in Cumbria looks bad.

Comment

Still lots of wind and rain in North Surrey. Just had a Sainsbury's delivery. The driver said that the roads are awful, with a lot of flooding and branches down.
          Tell em it's your fence and that you a) aren't going to bother replacing it, b) are going to put in a row of leylandii, or c) learning from the three little pigs are going to put in a nine-foot-high breeze block wall instead. See who blinks first.

Comment

Under five hours

[URL="https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1226518132866592768?s=21"]https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1226518132866592768[/URL]

Comment

It's picked up in the last half-hour or so. Heavy rain now and we've lost the first fence panel in the back garden.
              Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 09-02-2020, 16:34.

Comment

It was absolutely lashing it down here an hour ago but seems to have peaked now and the sun is coming out. Looks like the forecasters called it about right as far as this area goes. Mighty glad my parents decided not to venture out.

Comment

I was up in Gwydyr forest yesterday where it was windy but not alarmingly so - drove over the famous 17th century bridge and back through Llanrwst, so it's raised an eyebrow today to see that the town centre is flooded. Just a standard windy day here on the Costa del Scouse, albeit with pools of standing water in places I've never seen it before.

Comment

Calder Valley is fucked.

The view of our car park from the flats. The Calder is in the background but the flooding is actually groundwater rising.

The Calder passing the flats. Normally a third the size and about 15 feet lower. I’m top floor of the tall mill on the right, so won’t get flooded, but the power can go out.

But not to worry. There is debris all over the railway but no access to it by road, so NR have hired a loco and I’m out on inspections with them overnight. They even came to Sowerby to pick me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      I'm going to go on dragons den for funding a wheelie bin securing kit made out of hooks and bungee ropes. I'll coin it in and move somewhere where it's never windy, like Guadeloupe.
                      You are aware the Caribbean is hurricane central right?

Comment

The Wind in the midlands was really bad from about 11PM yeaterday to about midday today before calming down with the odd gusts. Went for a run this evening and there were bits of tree branches all over the place.

Comment

Still going strong here. Our back garden is south facing and on top of a hill so even when it’s a bit breezy around, it blows a hoolie up here. So the last 20 hours or so have been noisy.

Comment

The houses outside Brunton Park are on the verge of getting evacuated, and Carlisle United are sounding worried on their social media. We could be looking at a third homeless spell in 15 years.

The monitoring station (on the River Eden) at the nearby Sands Centre is saying 6.8m, and it peaked at a record 7.9m in the 2015 floods. However it is still rising.

Appleby is the worst hit in Cumbria so far, but lots of places have been hit by localised flooding.

Carlisle Cricket Club looks wrecked (having not long got back on their feet from 2015).
                            Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 09-02-2020, 21:56.

Comment

The earplugs - they do nothing!

Trying to sleep through that... I wouldn't call it sleep.

Comment

You wanna try sleeping indoors, 3CR.

Comment

Bad sleep for me too...and now stuck at home, train issues

Comment

My Monday train was diverted to Rugby and I had to backtrack. Which got me into Coventry three minutes earlier than normal anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                      The monitoring station (on the River Eden) at the nearby Sands Centre is saying 6.8m, and it peaked at a record 7.9m in the 2015 floods. However it is still rising.
                                      I was near Keswick during the 2006 (I think) floods and if it's worse than that, bloody hell. Best of luck to all having to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

I was near Keswick during the 2006 (I think) floods and if it's worse than that, bloody hell. Best of luck to all having to deal with it.
                                        It peaked at 7 metres around midnight and receded, and looks like the properties in the Carlisle danger zone got away with it this time but it must have been close.

Comment

I live in Kendal and it's not so bad here - some minor flooding near the river.

However it's heartbreaking looking at the footage from Appleby, the place where I teach. Needless to say school is out today, but the level of damage on the whole town is extensive after the Eden's banks burst. Homes, shops, livelihoods decimated - many linked to the pupils I teach every day and their parents who I have got to know well. Beyond tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                            You wanna try sleeping indoors, 3CR.
                                            The only place I can put my bed is next to the window... a window that won't close properly.

Comment

That video of the Hastings lifeboat almost capsizing but then righting itself is astonishing: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51439152

Comment

Yeah saw that last night. The video, that is, not the boat.

It's kinda what they do, those boats, but it's always amazing seeing it.

Comment

A windmill losing its sails! Windy!

The flooding in Cumbria looks bad.
                                                  I know it shouldn't be possible, but that windmill actually looks embarrassed.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I know it shouldn't be possible, but that windmill actually looks embarrassed.

Hahaha!

"D'oh! Butterfingers!"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X