Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    It's going to be 41º here today (that's 105,8º in old money). I have to work until 12 this morning then have some errands to do downtown, so I'll be out in it.
    Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
      Yikes:

ajor power failures have been reported across large areas of the UK, affecting trains, airports and traffic lights.

Power operators for the South East, Midlands, South West and Wales said there was a "major incident" affecting electricity.

UK Power Networks said it believed it was due to a "failure on National Grid's network".

Transport for London said the drop in power is affecting traffic lights, while many trains have been delayed.

Blackouts have also been reported in the North East.

Don't actually know if it's whether related, but maybe.
      Is it a coincidence that Sajid Javid was at the National Grid Training Center today?

Comment

See 13:24

Comment

There was a big storm at 5pm in Duesseldorf today that delayed my flight for an hour.

Comment

Enappsys, an energy consultancy, said the blackout may have been caused by the unexpected shutdowns of the Hornsea offshore wind farm, which is owned by the Danish wind farm company Orsted, and the Little Barford gas-fired power plant, owned by German utility giant RWE.
            It's that full scale economic war TAB has been warning us about

Comment

I'm willing to live by candlelight for the occasional evening if it gets the message across that the UK's current course is a massive boatload of shit. Which is on fire.

Comment

Twitter full of cretins screaming about unreliable renewables.

Ah, for the days when a blackout was an annoying if slightly fun event as opposed to a chance for climate deniers to post nonsense.

Comment

We return from holiday today and have woken up to photos on social media of flooding on our road. Our house should be ok, the road has a slight gradient (I know it very well from running and walking routes) and we're at the slightly higher end. However even at the lowest point it's still one of the higher elevations in Carlisle and so it must be the drains backing up, and it must have been a hell of a downpour in a short space of time to achieve that.

Some of the usual risk areas in town also seem to have had a bit of localised flooding but not on the scale of our "once every hundred years" flooding that has happened twice in the past 13 years. However there's a solid day of rain forecast today so our return home around midnight tonight will be interesting, both for the journey from the airport and what we find when we get to Carlisle.

Comment

Pissing down and 13C outside.

'kin 'ell!

Comment

There is gathering model evidence that we will turn a corner weather wise after this week-end storm. High pressure is building from the south next week, the BH week-end is starting to look pretty decent...

Comment

Absolutely bucketing down and I didn't bring my brolly or raincoat as the forecast was mild. Very glad I got an early lunch.

Comment

It has rained for precisely 20 minutes in Romsey today. 10 minutes on my morning fag break, 10 minutes on my lunchtime one. Anyone in the area should watch out at approx 3.30 this afternoon when I intend to take my last one.

Comment

The classic New York summer combination of heavy rain and bright sunshine.

Comment

Only drizzle where we were. Humid, though.

Comment

Not sure if this should be in the map thread or the weather thread, but thanks to Greta Thunberg's crossing of the Atlantic, I have become aware of Windy.com, which seems excellent.

Here you can track Greta's journey https://www.windy.com/track-team-mal....706,-41.484,4

Comment

So, the late August Bank Holiday Monday temperature record has been comprehensively smashed - was 28.2C (in 2017) but we've already hit 32.4C today and it'll probably go a bit higher.

It was 33.3C yesterday when the new late August Bank Holiday weekend record was set.

Comment

Yes! We did it! (BBC Weather Twitter account-style joke)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      Not sure if this should be in the map thread or the weather thread, but thanks to Greta Thunberg's crossing of the Atlantic, I have become aware of Windy.com, which seems excellent.

Here you can track Greta's journey https://www.windy.com/track-team-mal....706,-41.484,4
                                      Yeah.

It's great, init.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...=-5.197,-3.596

Is very similar

Comment

I'm in Provence and it's mid to high thirties here, so it appears there's no escape back home.

Although you aren't suffering Asian Tiger mosquitoes. They are fucking relentless and happy days, carry some lovely tropical diseases such as dengue fever.

Comment

Absolute bastards. We had them in Milano.

I've had some success with the Para'kito range, which is originally French. Any decent chemist should have them.

Comment

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1166818520388329478

Comment

Currently projected to hit Cape Canaveral as a Category 4. Many gas stations are already sold out. Huge queues at Publix, Walmart, etc.

My area, SWFL, projected to get winds of about 50mph, as it will weaken as it crosses Florida and we are not in the centre of the cone.

Puerto Rico thankfully dodged the bullet, mostly.

Strangely, as an aside, cruise lines do not cancel. Those arriving in Miami Sunday-Tuesday are still going; Cape Canavaral arrivals will stay out at sea an extra day.

Comment

I'm due in Florida next week. Between this and the BA strike I am not sure if I should still go.

Comment

Not wanting to be mean to the citizens of Palm Beach, but there is always a part of me that wants all Florida-bound hurricanes to go over Mar a Lago. The track can shift south a little bit...

Comment

It will certainly get some wind and rain and the airport he uses might be closed for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X