No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big storm due to hit the southern half of England Friday into Saturday, it's unseasonably low and looks like it will be named before the end of today. Boardmasters have cancelled their music festival in Newquay which, with 70mph winds forecast, looks like a wise move. Updates to follow.

Comment

Not just Boardmasters which is off, Houghton and Beyond the Woods music festivals have now also been cancelled due to the forecast weather. I've not been to a music festival before, so the cynical side of me wonders if this is an excuse to cancel due to poor ticket sales.

Comment

I was at a festival (No6 in Portmerion) in 2017 when a storm hit, it wasn't pleasant and the wind were half of what is forecast so I doubt the cancellation is cynical...

Comment

They can't risk erecting the main stage and big tents for Boardmasters if it's going to be weather like that. It's on the headland above Fistral Bay which is basically facing 3000 miles of open Atlantic. Half the attractions for youngsters are big bouncy castle things. The nuttier surfers, on the other hand, will probably bloody love it. It'll be like the end of Point Break. .

Comment

Teddy and I got back inside just before all hell broke loose tonight.

Comment

Tomorrow's paddle boarding session has been cancelled.

Given last week's struggles on a near-calm sea this is no bad thing.

Comment

It's going to be 41º here today (that's 105,8º in old money). I have to work until 12 this morning then have some errands to do downtown, so I'll be out in it.
                Last edited by Sporting; 09-08-2019, 05:48.

Comment

I do like a storm in the summer for taking all the humidity out of the air for a bit but this is overkill.

Comment

Tomorrows Makers Market in Stockport has already been shortened by an hour. Considering that the organisers have a very bad habit of insisting on going ahead when conditions are clearly unsuitable, this represents progress of a sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                      Not just Boardmasters which is off, Houghton and Beyond the Woods music festivals have now also been cancelled due to the forecast weather. I've not been to a music festival before, so the cynical side of me wonders if this is an excuse to cancel due to poor ticket sales.
                      That's ridiculously cynical. Houghton was sold out for a start. Boardmasters had a strong line up and always sells well. Even with cancellation insurance (and there is no certainty that the smaller festivals would have had it) a cancellation is still disastrous for any festival. It's a decision that wouldn't be taken lightly and hence leaving it to as late as possible.

As mentioned above, going ahead with a festival in these circumstances is a huge risk, Festival No 6 never recovered from its bad year, and it is no more. Or for more festival/weather apocalypse check out what happened at Pukkelpop in 2011.

Comment

According to my makeshift rain gauge we had a little over an inch of rain in about 2 hours in the storm that hit Lancashire this morning.

Comment

I perfectly timed my commute this morning, rain stopped 2 minutes after I left the house...

Comment

Thunderstorms were forecast for Stockport for this morning and continuing all day. Currently it is blue skies and sunshine.

I've decided I'm mowing the grass in fifteen minutes. That should bring them on.

Comment

Nope. That didn't work. How about... putting some washing out?

Comment

Plan to walk without an umbrella or a coat from the pub that the Mersey runs under in that shopping arcade, all the way up the hill to the station. I did that once and got on the train looking like Hugh Grant at the end of Notting Hill. And didn’t even get a shag off Andie McDowell.
                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 09-08-2019, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  Plan to walk without an umbrella or a coat from the pub that the Mersey runs under in that shopping arcade, all the way up the hill to the station. I did that once and got on the train looking like Hugh Grant at the end of Notting Hill. And didn’t even get a shag off Andie McDowell.

Oh dear. You're mixing up your rom-coms, Rogin.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                    Nope. That didn't work. How about... putting some washing out?
                                    100 Euro fine in Rome starting this fall if you use a line across a street or alley

Comment

But still nothing for abandoning whatever vehicle you're piloting and declaring it parked.

Comment

Of course not, are you mad?

Next thing you will suggest that an unfettered right to drive on the pavement is not an integral element of the heritage of every Roman citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Oh dear. You're mixing up your rom-coms, Rogin.
                                          That’s because they’re all essentially the same film.

Comment

That cracked it!

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                              I do like a storm in the summer for taking all the humidity out of the air for a bit but this is overkill.
                                              That storm took fuck all of the humidity, it's still muggy. Now I believe in nothing.

Comment

Yikes:

Major power failures have been reported across large areas of the UK, affecting trains, airports and traffic lights.

Power operators for the South East, Midlands, South West and Wales said there was a "major incident" affecting electricity.

UK Power Networks said it believed it was due to a "failure on National Grid's network".

Transport for London said the drop in power is affecting traffic lights, while many trains have been delayed.

Blackouts have also been reported in the North East.
                                                Don't actually know if it's whether related, but maybe.

Comment

Dry run for the General Election on 1 November, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Of course not, are you mad?

Next thing you will suggest that an unfettered right to drive on the pavement is not an integral element of the heritage of every Roman citizen.
                                                    Come to Sheffield.

Where there's an unfettered right to park on the pavements, park at bus stops, thieve work from local PHV drivers (if you live in Lancashire), drive in bus lanes, and turn right against no right turn signs when someone on foot is crossing the road.

If only we could set up some form of camp for these people.

e.g. Stocksbridge. Where the racist filth who vote for UKIP live.

And cyclists? You don't miss out. You can cycle through red lights at pedestrian crossings and on the ride on the pavements

Comment

Working...
                                                    X