Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very weird at the moment.

The sun is shining and it is clear over the river, but we can hear thunder and it is really dark to the east.

Comment

Belter of a thunderstorm in Boston (83 degrees) this afternoon. Had just gone into a bar in the north end to have one drink to cool off and ended up having to stay for nearly 3 hours til the skies cleared - oh dear, what a shame....

Lovely evening afterwards although I can still see distant lightning flickering away to the west.

Comment

Guadalajara:

Comment

Apropos the recent hot weather.

Why don't you see calamine lotion any more?

Comment

Because you aren't snooping around in our medicine cabinet?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
              Apropos the recent hot weather.

Why don't you see calamine lotion any more?

Heh. After my unprotected lillywhite skin had been burnt to a crisp on holiday that, or witch hazel, was what my parents usually turned to.

Comment

39° yesterday followed by the biggest hailstorm since 2007.

Comment

We were a calamine household.

Isn't witch hazel used as eye drops rather than skin lotion?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    We were a calamine household.

Isn't witch hazel used as eye drops rather than skin lotion?

Not eye drops (that I've heard of - you'd probably go blind!) but it's supposed to have a number of benefits: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-benefits-uses

I'd have just preferred it if my parents had invested in some sun cream in the first place!

Comment

Calamine is for poison ivy, etc.

Comment

[URL="https://twitter.com/scottpecoriello/status/1149006602076381187?s=21"]https://twitter.com/scottpecoriello/status/1149006602076381187[/URL]

A friend's home already has several inches of water on the ground floor

Comment

I was reading about the New Orleans risk - normally storms in New Orleans come later in the year, which is why the Mississippi is usually so much lower. Also, apparently all the engineering further upstream to contain the river means that there's little overflow into floodplains - all the water is trapped between the riverbanks and heads all the way down to the gulf.

Comment

It is indeed a mess.

My flooded friend was away for the Fourth and came back along the river, getting more concerned with each mile he drove.

Comment

Looks like we will have another try next week at a plume reaching the UK...Wait and see..

Comment

One of my wife's Canadian friends is visiting the UK with her family. They landed yesterday and are spending a week in the Glasgow area and then a bit less than that in London.

I always hope that any visitors enjoy good weather when they come over and the forecast for the London leg of the trip looks pretty good. But I've just checked the weather in the West of Scotland and there are yellow weather warnings for heavy rain and thunderstorms for the next five days!

Comment

Absolutely pelting it down in Stockport.

Comment

So, how are our OTFers in Eastern Canada and the east coast of the the US handling the temperatures at the moment?

Comment

It is quite unpleasant, though perhaps not (yet?), as apocalyptic as feared. Tomorrow will be worse, as these events have a significant cumulative effect.

There was a major subway breakdown last evening, which certainly didn't help matters.

The triathlon, a large music festival and a number of other outdoor events have been cancelled.

Comment

Oo-er - the Summer of Sam!

Comment

"When the gusts passed, a tree ripped up and fell over into a field of llamas"

Well, it would, wouldn't it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-49056393

Comment

There was some biblical rain earlier today. Sunny but windy now though.

Comment

Aargh, it's getting worse:
                                              Temperatures will remain high overnight into Wednesday, making it uncomfortable to sleep, with potentially record-breaking overnight temperatures of 24°C. The previous record is 23.9°C set in August 1990.

From Wednesday fresher air is expected to move into western parts of the UK however the heat will continue to build in central and eastern parts with highs reaching 35°C.

Thursday is expected to see the peak in temperatures with 37°C possible in the south east of England. The current July record is 36.7°C set at Heathrow in 2015. The all time UK temperature record is 38.5°C recorded in Faversham in August 2003.

Comment

This is inhuman as it is. I shall probably be dead by Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                                X