No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very pleasant today here. I was looking at where to go camping this weekend, some rather strong winds forecast for the uplands. I guess it would prevent any issues with midges....

Comment

I've enjoyed the last two days of relatively cool (~17°C) weather and slate grey skies. Not beacuse I generally like that sort of thing but because of the nasty hot/humid spell that preceded it and the heatwave that is coming. Three reported deaths in France so far, all from the same unusual thing for spring - thermal shock on entering water! People are going for a swim to 'cool off' but water warms far less quickly than air and this is happening unusually early in the year. The temperature difference is the equivalent of going into an icy pond, and therefore rather dangerous. Basically the weather coming is properly horrid killer stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
        Very pleasant today here. I was looking at where to go camping this weekend, some rather strong winds forecast for the uplands. I guess it would prevent any issues with midges....
        Not good if a fire starts, though. I guess the ground isn't dry enough for that to be a problem yet.

Comment

We're currently camped on a hill overlooking St Ives in Cornwall and there isn't a cloud in the sky - unfortunately the wind is gusting 55 - 60 mph, it started around midnight last night and is forecast to continue until tomorrow afternoon. I've just had to purchase some heavy duty tie-downs to stop our motorhome awning from disappearing over the horizon.

Comment

Just to echo what RC says but the last 24 hours here in Plymouth have been a bit nuts. The easterly wind is so strong and gusting 60mph that the evening ferry has been cancelled and we never get that in the summer. Just walking the dog round the field was a struggle and I had to swerve the woods as there were so many branches down I feared for my head. Yet ne'er a cloud and it's still pretty warm too. It's perfect sunburn weather. We get strong winds round here all the time but they're generally sou'westers and rarely last this long.

Comment

Very frustrating that, normally when i see sunshine and a steady breeze in summer, i am very keen to camp on a hill as you can enjoy a glorious evening without being eaten alive but strong winds means ending up in the tent most of the evening anyway (which being a backpacking tent is not exactly a palace...particularly if i take the one that can cope with high winds better...)

Comment

Eventually warmed to a happy medium of 25° here - only downside has been an invasion of flying ants!

Comment

Thats early.

Comment

https://twitter.com/newscientist/status/1144609240713179137

Comment

Phew! Whereabouts I wonder?

Comment

Now reported as 45.9°C in Gallargues-le-Montueux.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Sufficiently warm at the moment that you can wear short sleeves, but nothing extraordinary so far.
                          Speak for yourself.

My arms burn like a lobster if I wear shirt-sleeved shirts

Comment

How about short-sleeved shorts?

Comment

We're in France at the moment and although it was high thirties on Wednesday and Thursday, we're in the little sliver of the map where it's only forecast to get up to the mid twenties today.
                              Apparently train electrical cables have melted somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                How about short-sleeved shorts?
                                As long as they're black shorts…

Comment

Eulalie Soeurs?

Comment

The melting catenary was on the line from Paris to Clermont-Ferrand, and caused one train to be delayed by more than 11 hours, without A/C or working toilets. Rails have also been buckling, as their heat-induced expansion more than fills the gaps between pieces. SNCF has asked riders to forego non-essential travel in the worst affected areas.

Comment

Depending on which website you believe, it's between 35 and 38 degrees here at the moment. Hot but not so oppressive for now,

Comment

I would guess that the proximity of the sea helps in that regard.

The really extreme temperatures in France have generally been recorded well inland.

Comment

The BBC website has a reported high for the day so far at 30.8C down the road in Charlwood, but my £29.99 from Maplin's device informs me that's it currently 31.4C in my back garden, but with a pleasant breeze.

Comment

I didn't remember this storm being in the forecast, but looking at this screenshot from earlier, I can see that it was. Just about right on schedule, too. Welp, Teddy's gone underground already.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                              The BBC website has a reported high for the day so far at 30.8C down the road in Charlwood, but my £29.99 from Maplin's device informs me that's it currently 31.4C in my back garden, but with a pleasant breeze.
                                              34.5C in my garden at 14:00. But we're South facing and on top of a hill, so it's a bit of a suntrap.
                                              What a glorious day it's been. I've been outside loads, had all three meals sat on the terrace and I'm still sat here now enjoying a nice view of Jupiter and a gentle breeze.
                                              Got 5 loads of washing done and dried too.
                                              Typical bloody England though. Europe has a week long heatwave and what do we get? One day. Sheesh.

Bourbon and coke. Sky at Night magazine. Soft led lighting. And Jupiter in the sky. Lovely.
                                              Last edited by hobbes; 29-06-2019, 21:32.

Comment

We may get some more

[URL="https://twitter.com/iembot_okx/status/1145080492535865344?s=21"]https://twitter.com/iembot_okx/status/1145080492535865344[/URL]

Comment

That looks a scary map.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X