No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tomatoes have gone outdoors whether they like it or not. No room in the greenhouse. This is my longed for summer week off to bask in the June sunshine at the allotment. Or to sit in the shed playing on my phone as the rain pours down. This country.

Comment

First coat of paint went on around the new front door where they'd hacked off and "made good", leaving a patch of unpainted pebble dash. Unlikely to bother with the second coat this evening...

Comment

It's currently 8.9 C here on a summer's afternoon!

Comment

It's currently 31C at 11 in the morning, and getting warmer. It's the first proper spell of heat of the year. It's the first time we've really needed the air con. It's the first time I've jumped in the pool after getting back from the gym.

Comment

It's situation Amber now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48583777

I've had to delay putting the bins out. It's absolute chaos here.

Comment

“Flaming June”, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                This is where we find out if the New York's been built high enough above the Don/Rother confluence.
                The way we're going, the whole of Sheffield hasn't been built high enough over the confluence of the Don and anything.

Comment

And to think, last year we went 3 months without a drop of rain. (Or at least Bromley did.)
                  I picked a good year for a sabbatical.

Comment

Who might have anticipated that Coventry would look gloomy on a day like this?

Comment

The cub is on a school trip to the beach on Friday. I hope it's dry for them. How miserable would it be taking 300 kids to the beach only for it to rain.
                      Where would you put them? How would you keep them occupied? It sounds nightmarish.

Comment

To be fair, it sounds nightmarish anyway. I mean they can all bring £2 to buy an ice cream. Can you imagine trying to organise 300 ice creams for kids? And that's without trying to herd them about on the beach etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                          I think that I'd be more worried about that alien invasion fleet...

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                            The UFO's in the sky are an interesting touch.

Edit. Fucks sake,.

Comment

Although as someone who likes nothing better than when it is lashing it down at Turf Moor and some bunch of soft Southern namby-pambies are the visiting team, I looked out of my window in Cov and thought "Ooooh. No."

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                Although as someone who likes nothing better than when it is lashing it down at Turf Moor and some bunch of soft Southern namby-pambies are the visiting team, I looked out of my window in Cov and thought "Ooooh. No."
                                I had something similar running through my mind as I stood shivering on the platform at Northampton station this morning, north- and south-bound train routes having been affected by the weather (or perhaps by a perfectly understandable onset of the sad).

Comment

Been spared by this in this part of the world, got woken up by heavy rain early this morning but I had no cause to use to my brolly on my commute to work....

Comment

It's another thoroughly miserable day in my neck of the woods, pissing it down outside and currently 12.3C.

Comment

Indeed. I had to move everything back into my winter jacket to go out shopping this afternoon.

Comment

I can remember some cold summer days in the past, and I know we're in the early part of the season, but I can't recall such low temperatures in previous years. Maybe 14-15C yes, but not struggling to get into double figures in the middle of the day.

Comment

Fingers crossed the lowering of pressure over Greenland which is now showing on mid-range models is coming through, that way the jet stream can bugger up furher north and give us a chance for better weather...or at least something a tad warmer...

Comment

There's a very weird El Nino this year, that's unlike others in the short period we've been recording them. It's a weak El Nino (ENSO only just above 0.5 degrees), but it's been sustaining at the same weakish El Nino signal for a long time and looks like it's going to continue this for a while, possibly all the way into autumn.

Because nobody's seen an El Nino like this before, it's hard to predict what impact it's going to have on the weather. Probably nothing in Northern Europe - your shitty weather is probably just one of those things. But it's almost certainly been part of the driver of the crazy rains in the US over the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              There's a very weird El Nino this year, that's unlike others in the short period we've been recording them. It's a weak El Nino (ENSO only just above 0.5 degrees), but it's been sustaining at the same weakish El Nino signal for a long time and looks like it's going to continue this for a while, possibly all the way into autumn.

Because nobody's seen an El Nino like this before, it's hard to predict what impact it's going to have on the weather. Probably nothing in Northern Europe - your shitty weather is probably just one of those things. But it's almost certainly been part of the driver of the crazy rains in the US over the last few months.

The Beeb gives it a mention: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48589651

Comment

We are experiencing a weather event at the moment with cold air from the polar regions colliding with warm air coming up from Spain. The result is very heavy rain over most of England, now spreading into the Southern Uplands and Wales. I was playing cricket on Sunday when it began to rain. On looking at the rain radar on my phone I saw it was a long very narrow strip of rain maybe only 4 miles wide at the most, but it went about 20 miles in length. This was the start of the collision between the two air masses and although we started playing in lovely bright sunshine and a nice cooling breeze, five hours later we abandoned it under heavy rain but no wind. The rain just did not move and it just got heavier and heavier. Quite something to experience, but what a contrast to last year when we went 8 weeks with no rain and blazing hot sunshine which is all a bit to much for me. I love this sort of weather.

Comment

Bring back last year's weather, I reckon. If you miserable lot are going to get to enjoy the other 9 months it's cold and wet and dark and demoralising, at least let me have 3 months of blue skies and 25C and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                                    Fingers crossed the lowering of pressure over Greenland which is now showing on mid-range models is coming through, that way the jet stream can bugger up furher north and give us a chance for better weather...or at least something a tad warmer...
                                                    Eh? Aren't you the one who's always complaining that there's not enough snow in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X