No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. Dust devils are like mini-tornados. They can get fairly large and cause damage. One whipped through a parking lot in Gallup some years ago and overturned a car.

Comment

We had one here a couple of months back. Really rare, no one could remember a previous occurrence.

Comment

Florence up to a Category 4.

Evacuation orders issued for the entire South Carolina coast and Hatteras Island (they are reversing the flow of traffic on the interstate to ease the crush); the Outer Banks to be evacuated tomorrow.

Comment

Once you're evacuating Hatteras, aren't you effectively evacuating the entire outer banks?

I remember driving the northern part of the Outer Banks, once, as part of an aviation homage road trip that included Kitty Hawk. It's incredibly flat, and the actual banks - the entire islands, basically - look like they could wash away in a decent storm. At least evacuation routes are very, very well signposted.

Earlier today, I was thinking about the storm track and how unusual it is. Hatteras reminds me why - because the gulfstream basically tracks the coast up to Hatteras, which means there should normally be windshear across this track, either breaking up the storm, or pushing it northwards and the east into the Atlantic. It's very odd that a storm can move directly westwards straight at the coast. "Normal" Carolina hurricanes come from the south, not the east.

Comment

I think that the idea is that (assuming that one has time, which they do) it is preferable to evacuate the two areas sequentially given the capacities of the roads to the mainland.

Comment

That makes sense, and you want to move those at the furthest extremities first

Comment

Well, in this case, the thought is that Hatteras is at greater risk right now (they also only have one way out)

Comment

Yikes

Maximum sustained winds are near 130 mph (215 km/h) with higher
                  gusts. Florence is a category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson
                  Hurricane Wind Scale. Florence is expected to begin re-
                  strengthening later today and continue a slow strengthening trend
                  for the next day or so. While some weakening is expected on
                  Thursday, Florence is expected to be an extremely dangerous major
                  hurricane through landfall.

RAINFALL: Florence is expected to produce total rainfall
                  accumulations of 15 to 20 inches with isolated maximum amounts to 30
                  inches near the storm's track over portions of the Carolinas and
                  Mid-Atlantic States from late this week into early next week. This
                  rainfall could produce catastrophic flash flooding and significant
                  river flooding.

Comment

Florence is due to punch us on the nose. Lot of people are leaving town. Just got to hunker down.

Comment

I just some some storm surge maps that look rough for you, AHC. I hope you're on a bit of high(er) ground. You still have no intention of getting out?

Comment

Live ships map makes for interesting viewing. Look at the hurricane sized hole as ships skirt around it:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:28.3/zoom:5

Comment

No. Staying put SB.

Comment

I'm hoping for the best, AHC. It looks like it's going to be a bad one, though. Are people around you leaving?

Comment

What Inca said.

I see that the predicted track has drifted slightly south which may help AHC on the wind front, but might make things worse on the storm surge (the cyclone rotates anticlockwise, so on the northside the winds are towards shore and push the water westwards). I'm still seeing scary numbers on the storm surge front. A stallout on the coast - which seems to be in some forecasts - is potentially worse yet, even if it means the wind damage is reduced, because it can mean that the water pushed in on the first high tide doesn't get a chance to recede.

Comment

https://twitter.com/wafflehousenews/status/1039606662234075137?s=21

Comment

New Bern has been under curfew since 9 pm. Odd since Flo isn't due to call for another 24 hours or so.

Comment

Yes Inca. Lot of people have left town.

Comment

https://twitter.com/NOAASatellites/status/1039546702364069893

Comment

I mean, I get that this is serious, but I can't help but think a lot of people are using it as an excuse to draw rude and amusing shapes over maps.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                            New Bern has been under curfew since 9 pm. Odd since Flo isn't due to call for another 24 hours or so.
                                            But I'm not sure these curfews are strictly enforced or observed, based on personal experience in SWFL with Irma last year.

Comment

I have a feeling that one's skin tone might influence one's experience in that regard

Comment

Sounds like it's weakened a little:
                                                Data from the aircraft and Doppler weather radars indicate that
                                                maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 105 mph (165 km/h)
                                                with higher gusts. Little change in strength is expected before the
                                                center reaches the coast, with weakening expected after the center
                                                moves inland.

Comment

Wasn't enforced much. Cars still going up and down at 11.30

Comment

Rain just started. Heavy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X