Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    Wow, that was more of a cannon shot than a thunderclap.
    Are you at home? Caught the lightning a few seconds before it.

Comment

Absolutely filthy weather today. Been raining heavily in North Surrey for hours now.

Comment

I left the house in sunglasses this morning, ended up walking from Bayswater to Victoria in quite heavy rain.

Comment

12,000 people (mainly tourists) evacuated from the Var so far.

Comment

I am in this. I can assure you that it is genuinely fucking hot.

Extreme heat warnings issued in Europe as temperatures pass 40C

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y_to_clipboard

Comment

Weird headline, temperatures hitting 40°C is surely not that exceptional for many places on the continent, the problem is when that heat is sustained over several days with the temperatures not dropping below 25-30 at night.

Comment

38 degrees here in Vienna yesterday.

Meeting family here. Booked 3 months ago, expecting milder version of Winter Olympics weather. Horrid shock last week when I saw how hot is.

Comment

The wildfires continue here in BC. Now listed as the worst year for fires since 1958.

The smoke haze from the interior has reached the coast, producing a blood red sun and sickly yellow atmosphere. The wind has dropped here on the bay too, the overall feeling is rather ominous. On the plus side the fug has lowered the local temperatures by several degrees.

Comment

Scrub fires in Henderson (To Vegas, what Hove is to Brighton) a couple of days ago. And then, to make it interesting, some flash flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                      38 degrees here in Vienna yesterday.

Meeting family here. Booked 3 months ago, expecting milder version of Winter Olympics weather. Horrid shock last week when I saw how hot is.
                      Get up to the hills where there is a breeze Tubbs. See some vineyards as well

Comment

A ton of thunderstorms in the mountains to the east over the last few days as we've had a load of monsoon moisture in the air. But no rain at all here - I've been watching the thunderheads build every day, and hearing rumbles every now and again, but not a drop falls. It appears that the humidity here is beginning to break today, which is a very nice relief.

Comment

Las Vegas 98F, 5 minutes ago.

Comment

That hailstones? Surely not, ... sna'?
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-08-2017, 20:54.

Comment

Only torrential rain.

You wouldn't know it happened. Those courts are now bone dry.

Comment

When I was younger I didn't really understand all those signs in ditches in the US west warning you about flash floods. But having seen those kinds of rapid storms, and the fact that there's no wet soil to catch the run-off so it just all picks up and flows into a single location, it makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Didn't we "do" that exact topic shortly after your arrival on these shores?

Comment

Maybe. That was 5 years ago now, and my memory is getting worse and worse.

Comment

The moon last night

Comment

It's pretty much the end days.

Comment

Comment

The current models for Hurricane Harvey almost defy comprehension.

Because the storm I expected to stall for days over Coastal Texas, they are now projecting up to FIVE FEET of rain in some locations over the next seven days.

Comment

5 feet? The last I saw was 35 inches, which was already incomprehensible. But five feet is just mindboggling. That's swimming-pool depth, but not just in the few square meters of a swimming pool.

Comment

There was just a new computer run of the models.

The Weather Service has an advisory that parts of the state may be "uninhabitable" for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

The Weather Service has an advisory that parts of the state may be "uninhabitable" for weeks.
                                                  The joke about Houston in summer has already written itself.

Comment

I'm trying to keep La Signora occupied, because she wants to be on the phone every few minutes, but realises she'll only stress out her daughter who's trying to keep things together for her kids. She managed to buy two dozen bottles of water this morning, the maximum stores are allowing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X