Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It held off until after midnight.

Now seeing an insane amount of lightning, it's almost like strobe lights.

Comment

Forest fires in the BC interior continue. 40,000 people evacuated so far. There appears to be no immediate relief in sight. Dry weather, shifting winds and lightning storms are projected into the foreseeable future.

Comment

Fires have been awful in a wide variety of places.

BC, Portugal, Vesuvius, Sicily, . . .

This is Messina

and Vesuvius

And just for local flavour, the remains of an underground electrical fire in our neighbourhood

I'm hoping that the wettest winter in recent years will help California, but very much have my fingers crossed.

Comment

The thunder n lightning show has now reached S.London / N.Surrey. Bloody noisy out there!

Comment

Lots of spectacular lightning around Stratford tonight .

Comment

Flash flood warnings have gone up in Clark County. With the current temperature of 105, I can predict steam.

Comment

Slept through the lot.

Comment

I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                    Anybody get to enjoy the storms in the south of England tonight? Devon and Cornwall have been hit badly and Reading is currently looking like it's been hit by a tsunami. But annoyingly nothing in Essex. Ho hum.
                    I saw the first fork of lightning around 1300 and it was on and off for the next twelve hours. A building around the corner from the docks was hit and set off all the alarms and a shed burnt down in a village on the edge of town which I think was as real as it got, but the show peaked around 2300 with the flashes coming every couple of minutes. For all the lightning there was surprisingly little loud thunder cracks or rumbling at all throughout the day.

Not much in the way of torrential rain in Plymouth but Coverack joins the list of picturesque Cornish villages to be flash flooded in the middle of summer.

Comment

Earlier in the month 400,000 people were evacuated from their homes in Kyushu due to torrential rain and landslides. 34 dead, 7 still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                        Slept through the lot.
                        Ditto.

Comment

I've honestly never seen lightning of that intensity before. At times around 1am there were several flashes per second. As mentioned up thread though, there wasn't much more thunder than a regular storm, though one particularly loud burst right overhead was what woke me up.

Comment

Hotter than balls here. Actually not too hot compared to the rest of the country - in the mid to high 80s F - but very humid. I've been avoiding going outside during the day. Lawn needs to be mowed, but it's too hot. I'll let it grow until the weekend, I think. To me, anything with a heat index over 85 is too hot to be out in direct sunlight.

I shouldn't complain, though. A bit south of here, it's far worse. In Williamsburg, Virginia, for example, it reached 100F last week and that is not a dry heat, to say the least. With the "heat index," it exceeded 110 F. They had to keep all the animals at Colonial Williamsburg indoors. That's why I never contemplated taking classes in the summer. Hardly anyone did.

Comment

So much for my hopes re California

This is Mariposa, at the edge of Yosemite (I would expect that those of you who have visited the park would have at least driven through it).

5,000 people from the town and surrounding area have been evacuated, and there is concern for the power lines that bring electricity to the park.

Overall, wildfires in CA are up more than 200% over this time last year.

Comment

California's going to be very messy this year for fires because there's much more fuel. We're not really even in to proper fire season yet.

The fires in Croatia are the ones that have been grabbing my attention, like this one just outside Split

Comment

The whole Med is a ring of fire

Comment

And it burns, burns, burns...

Comment

NYC Health DepRtment just declared a "Code Red" through 8 pm due to the unhealthy combination of heat and humidity.

EIM got out at the right time.

Comment

Storms are supposed to get rid of humidity etc. aren't they?
                                        So Tuesday was a beautiful warm sunny day. Storms Tuesday night and boom. Wednesday was like 'Nam.
                                        Stupid storms.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                          Storms are supposed to get rid of humidity etc. aren't they?
                                          So Tuesday was a beautiful warm sunny day. Storms Tuesday night and boom. Wednesday was like 'Nam.
                                          Stupid storms.
                                          Only if they're preceding a cold front does that happen.

Comment

So a classic case of correlation not causation then?

I.e. storms are often followed by a cold front, but are not the direct cause of the loss of humidity.

Comment

Your Buenos Aires correspondent can confirm that massive storms are frequently followed by periods of it continuing to be hotter and humider than balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                Your Buenos Aires correspondent can confirm that massive storms are frequently followed by periods of it continuing to be hotter and humider than balls.
                                                When I dropped the phrase "hot as balls" in casual conversation, my girlfriend went on a google rampage to find out how many degrees centigrade that is (I seem to remember something along the lines of 36, but I might be wrong). I'm curious to find out what factoids "humider than balls" will throw up. Will report back after the weekend.

Comment

Wow, that was more of a cannon shot than a thunderclap.

Comment

Yeah, that was directly overhead where we are. I actually jumped.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X