Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's next week that is looking fun at the moment, this time the weather will come from the East and it's very cold at this time of the year over there...

Comment

It's better than London in rain.

Comment

It's essentially the same thing. Only colder and with more ice.

Comment

I've been stuck for six days in Istanbul, because of a shitload of snow. No flights in or out, but hopefully I'll be returning to Nairobi tonight. Good luck with your weather. Our girls were very excited about coming back to North Wales two years ago and are still waiting for a decent snowfall. I'm of the opinion that it's great on postcards.

Comment

Lots of rain all night and still going this morning in LA. We're beyond the average rainfall through this part of the season, which is good news. Even better news for the state is the massive amount of snowfall in the Sierras (Mammoth Lakes got 15 feet of snow last week). This won't end the drought, but it certainly helps.

Comment

The drought is effectively over everywhere north of San Francisco now. The reservoirs north of Santa Maria are all pretty full. And there's a ton of snow in the Sierras. The drought is nearly finished because of this run of atmospheric rivers coming through. There's some great pictures of ski-lifts that they can't open because they're buried.

Personally, I'm done with winter. We've not had a week without rain for probably 2 months now. It's nice to see all the hills looking greenish, and grass finally growing again, but I think I preferred living in drought.

Comment

We keep going from snow dumpings to spring-like temps to snap freezes. Everyone's fallen on their ass at least once in the last month.

Comment

My sister-in-law, out on the Prairies, posted on FB that it had hit -40 degrees C in Saskatoon, which is cold even for that neck of the woods in winter.

Comment

Yes, -40 is unpleasant. But, oddly, it's not all that bad unless the wind is blowing. Minus 25 with a good breeze has you wishing for a quick death.

I read a thing yesterday about Winnipeg; in the dead of winter, it's sometimes colder there than on Mars.

Comment

That's one to keep out of the tourist brochures.

Comment

Haha. Tourist season: the two weeks in July when the mosquitoes are thick enough to carry off a full-grown moose...

Comment

I read a thing yesterday about Winnipeg; in the dead of winter, it's sometimes colder there than on Mars.
                          It's got less atmosphere, too.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                            It's got less atmosphere, too.
                            I think you'll find it's fewer atmosphere.

Comment

The rain is just starting to turn into snow in Pinner.

Comment

Woohoo!

Comment

Ha! The rain is winning!

Comment

I've had an automated message from the Environment Agency warning me of severe flooding and potential loss of life where I live. My property is 100 yards from the sea at sea-level but fortunately I live in a first floor flat!

Stay safe everyone.

I pit the poor sods at Jaywick. Seriously not the place to live for lots of reasons.

Comment

Well I was convinced the snow wouldn't settle because of the rain before it.
                                      I misjudged that, didn't I? Wish I'd worn my boots rather my canvas trainers.

If it freezes tonight it's going to be icy carnage.

Comment

Lookin' out my window here, across the heath, I can't see that the snow has settled at all. That said, the road looks like a sheet of glass, so I expect to be startled by the sound of smashing glass and crumpling metal any minute now.

Comment

Yeah, nothing settled in Deptford, at least not overnight. That said, it's just started snowing again.

Comment

Where are you now Hobbes? I know you moved out but didn't realise it was that far. Snow didn't settle here in Camberwell at all last night.

Just started here again. I don't get where the clouds came from, the sky was clear an hour ago.

Comment

It didn't settle in north-west London either. And it wasn't particularly icey this morning.

Comment

Disappointing not to see at least a sprinkling on the ground in SE this morning. But it's just started again in SE1.

Comment

Where are you now Hobbes?
                                                  Just north of [strike]Hell[/strike] Bromley.
                                                  Nearest station is Groveparkohgodohgodohgoditsinfuckingzone4forfuckss ake.

Comment

Paul S wrote:

I pity the poor sods at Jaywick. Seriously not the place to live for lots of reasons.
                                                    It's probably the Flying Spaghetti Monster's punishment for voting UKIP.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X