Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As bizarre data visualisations go, this one from the Beeb takes the (dog) biscuit.

Comment

While hoping everyone in Washington and Maryland etc are all safe, warm and well, I'd love 2 foot of snow. We haven't had anything like that in Lancashire in about 5 years, just incessant rain.

Comment

So, this is turning out to be pretty serious.

We have at least a foot of snow now and are expecting another six inches or so. Steady wind of more than 20 mph, with gusts over 40

They are suspending all overground subway service this afternoon.

Comment

I'm in New York at the moment, as it happens. Had a lovely morning walking up to Central Park (from my hotel on W46th), potttering about cooing to myself about how lovely it all is, before deciding fuck this I'm cold and wet, and retreating to the hotel to sit and drink rum in bed.

Still, it was nice to walk around Manhattan with barely a soul in sight.

Comment

george, are you Tom Hardy? I heard from a friend that he was in CP pottering about this morning.

Comment

Greenwich Village

Comment

We are probably somewhere in the 12-18 inch range at the moment. The tyke and I went out to play in the snow this morning, but since then it has gotten more blizzard-like here.

Warnings go through 6am tomorrow, so 2 feet is definitely possible. It's going to take me hours to dig out tomorrow, and I've got no idea how long it will take before they get the roads cleared. A couple more days inside then.

Comment

Normally I'd put this in the maps thread, but NYC's PlowNYC site contains real time mapping info that could be useful and/or interesting.

Comment

A bit down the drive from us, yesterday:

Comment

Forecast in Montreal is rain and +4C, so all this American snow is going to melt away quickly in the next couple of days.

Comment

The storm is about to hit the UK (and Ireland, obviously) tomorrow morning. It looks like the west and north of the country is going to get the worst of the rain, especially Wales. The wind is going to be pretty bad everywhere, though.

Comment

Every winter New Jersey never fails to surprise with its ability to screw up in the annual winter storms. Typically they run out of salt and end up putting pickle juice on the roads.

This time my friend tells me they basically had to dig two ploughs out on his street and then turned up with a frontloader.

The state is so clearly run by a bunch of bandits it is incredible.

Comment

Couldn't they evaporate the pickle juice to get more salt?

Comment

And why not use pepper if they run out of salt?

Comment

I am not sure why they always go the pickle juice way. My colleague finds the Garden State Parkway punishing on his sinuses every year.

Comment

As long as the streets are clear in time for my Fresh Direct delivery on Wednesday, I don't care.

Comment

Storm Imogen currently battering the South-west of England and South Wales. Sea states in the West have been described as "Phenomenal" which is the highest description the Met Office has. Apparently this storm was predicted in 1971 when John Lennon wrote the line "Imogen there's no Devon".

I'll get my coat.

Comment

Haha!

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: As long as the streets are clear in time for my Fresh Direct delivery on Wednesday, I don't care.
                                        Were they?

Comment

Well we're having weird and wonderful weather in dear old blighty at the moment. Loads of spherics with loads of cells appearing and lots of thunderstorms going off left right and centre.....and it's been like this for a good week or so. There is a heavy band of rain over central London at the moment but the Midlands is really taking a bettering at the moment with more lightening strikes than you can shake a stick at.

Sunday evening I witnessed a battle between a cell sinking south and the sea air going north (the cell won) and today it's going off all over the place.

Anybody else got thunder at the moment?

Netweather radar

Comment

with more lightening strikes than you can shake a stick at.
                                            Surely shaking a stick at lightning is a fairly bad idea anyway?

Comment

Well the heatwave has broken over parts of Cumbria and western parts of Scotland. Quite some storm out there with some incredible lightening being detected.

In the south of England though all is calm, although something is moving up slowly from Normandy.

Comment

My app is telling me thunderstorms in London at 5pm-6pm. I didn't bring a brolly, because quite frankly I'm looking forward to being soaked. These last few days have been miserable and I cannot sleep.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: My app is telling me thunderstorms in London at 5pm-6pm. I didn't bring a brolly, because quite frankly I'm looking forward to being soaked. These last few days have been miserable and I cannot sleep.
                                                  Yes, this. Three hours' sleep a night at the moment.

Comment

All the apps and websites told us thunderstorms late afternoon here (N.East) too...but it is currently as dark as Theresa May's soul, and a few large drops have already smacked off the window.

Really glad I didn't do as intended and go for a 25 miler this morning 'to avoid the storms'

Comment

Working...
                                                    X