No announcement yet.

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so happy that my place doesn't have a dress code. Tomorrow it'll be 35 degrees centigrade, and I'll be in my office working in shorts and a football top. Commisserations to all of you who have to wear a tie, and I hope you will all join me in rejoicing that this weekend, normality returns. Hobbes excluded, of course.

Comment

Tonight sounds like fun. Forecast is for the temperature to hit a minimum of 16C by 5am when the humidity will be 93%. I think I'll apply extra alcohol.

Comment

30°C in London doesn't feel like 30 in Istanbul, it's unpleasantly hot and humid but shouldn't complain too much as it will soon pass. Thunderstorms predicted in London at lunch time tomorrow.

Comment

It's the humidity that does it, as I try to explain to my best mate whenever he tells me Buenos Aires must be much more pleasant in the heat because it 'doesn't feel the same in hot countries,' the 'hot countries' he's been to consisting of places where it's unlikely to be around 40°C and 80%+ humidity at the same time (whereas in BA that's a not at all atypical summer's day). All the same I hope it's pleasant enough in the UK for t-shirts and shorts in a month or so, and stays like that throughout August.

A little under six months ago we were on the border between Argentina and Brazil, where the temperature was in the mid-40s and the humidity was in the 90s (it's a rainforest, y'see), and we damn near melted.

Comment

Buenos Aires was even worse, I'd forgotten about that Sam, the humidity was almost total which made it unbearable. You'd be sweating after taking a cold shower to cool down.

Comment

There are days during the summer when, if I have to leave the flat to do things, I might have two or three cold showers (and in late December and for most of January it's basically a given I'll have to have one twenty minutes or so before I plan on going to bed, or I'm just not going to sleep).

Comment

Obviously the pay-off is some truly spectacular storms, as I say. And now I live in a seventh floor flat with a ceiling with no leaks, I enjoy them even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  It's the humidity that does it, as I try to explain to my best mate whenever he tells me Buenos Aires must be much more pleasant in the heat because it 'doesn't feel the same in hot countries,' the 'hot countries' he's been to consisting of places where it's unlikely to be around 40°C and 80%+ humidity at the same time (whereas in BA that's a not at all atypical summer's day).
                  Yeah, I've been in the Outback where it was 45+ degrees but bone dry, and Darwin (not the one in Lancashire) where it was 36 and some crazy level of humidity. I know which one I preferred. You'd take a shower and the effort involved in drying yourself would leave you needing another shower.

My kids are enjoying it, mind. Padding pool, open air splash park, plodging through the river.

Comment

I have to admit, I enjoy this weather less when I'm abed than the rest of the time.
                    I'm more than happy to sit outside on my deck in 25C until 11pm. But it does require the judicious application of portable aircon and fan to make night times bearable.

We're doing the house up later this year. Air conditioning in the bedrooms is on the list of jobs. It'll cost a fair bit, but given we're south facing on top of a hill (it got up to 43C on our suntrap of a deck on Sunday) it'll be worth it.

Comment

How much are you expecting to pay, Hobbes? I'm looking at getting aircon installed, for the bedroom if nothing else. You've got more options, living in a house, but it'd be good to get a ballpark.

Comment

Looking around you can get a Mitstubishi condenser with 2 head units for about £1200. Single blower split units are from about £500 on appliances direct.
                        So I'd expect about two grand fitted perhaps?

I can't remember the layout of your place, but if the outside wall of your bedroom is easily accessibly from the balcony, it should be a piece of piss to fit. If not, it'll be harder to run the pipe work so you might have to go ducted in the ceiling or chase the pipework into the wall which is a much bigger job.
                        Last edited by hobbes; 22-06-2017, 15:52.

Comment

I'm not allowed to do anything on the exterior, is the problem. There are solutions that use the water mains to extract the heat, but they're much more expensive

Comment

If you stuck a blower on your balcony, I bet no one would notice.

Comment

A blower yesterday:

Comment

If you stuck a blower on your balcony, I bet no one would notice.
                                Quite possible, but a) I'd have to pipe it down my hallway to the bedroom, and b) I'd have to leave the sliding door open, and half the reason I'm considering aircon is to be able to shut the windows.

Comment

Nah. Blower on the balcony, pipe in through the external wall then either chase it into the wall or run it unobtrusively (high or low) along the wall, maybe in conduit and through the wall into your room.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    I'm not allowed to do anything on the exterior, is the problem.
                                    Erm.

Comment

Well if you have a balcony...

Comment

Erm
                                        Well you could argue that on his balcony isn't the exterior of the building as it's partially enclosed.
                                        More saliently though, GY is on the top floor overlooking the river. If he mounts the fan unit on the wall fairly low down, there's no way anyone will see it to know.

Comment

5 people have died today through heat related issues in the Clark County (Las Vegas) area.

Comment

22 degrees in Buenos Aires today. A few days ago there was a low of 0 and a high of 6.

Comment

26 degrees here. Very pleasant with a light breeze. I feel for everyone in the UK. It's weird, when I lived there I never noticed it, but now the humidity kills me, even in Winter.

Comment

Anybody get to enjoy the storms in the south of England tonight? Devon and Cornwall have been hit badly and Reading is currently looking like it's been hit by a tsunami. But annoyingly nothing in Essex. Ho hum.

Comment

Nothing here on the Sussex coast. We were promised a stormy downpour but, as so often, 'twas all just a tease.

Comment

There are some cracking cells off the coast of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X