Clear All

Storm in a tea cup: The weather thread

Slept through the lol of it.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: It was super loud in London, possibly the loudest and longest thunder I've ever heard, but the lightning didn't seem all that amazing. I mean, it was impressive by London standards, but I think there were more strikes in the big storm a year or two back which really felt like a tropical storm.
        120,000 strikes in total, apparently. (Apologies for the source.)

Here in SW Surrey, we saw a few large strikes, but only fairly distantly. Doing the old 'counting' method, I'd guess say they were at least 20 miles away. All the same, one of them was so large that I thought "I wouldn't have liked to be under that!" The rain was relatively light and steady throughout the evening. I'm well jealous of all you Kent/Sussex folk who had the full lightshow. (But not those in Russia!)

Comment

The glorious first of June and it's snowing like the clappers. Even for these parts, this is taking the piss.

Comment

It would have to fecking rain all through my week away wouldn't it? If half of Devon gets washed away before Friday, you can blame me.

Comment

We do need the rain though, and lots of it.

Comment

Bloody hell, I'm actually being rained on inside the bloody bus...

Comment

Well, I was going to visit Lydford Gorge today, except the National Trust decided to keep it closed due to "high winds". Given they also closed Greenway House yesterday for the same reason, I can only assume the NT are especially sensitive to a strong breeze for some reason. Are gorges especially dangerous during strong winds? And what about the former homes of famous crime writers?

Comment

The TV weather is forecasting a possible record high on Tuesday. 117F is the old record (last year).

I can confirm it's currently hot.

Comment

117F or 107F ?

Comment

It's been about 107F for 3 days now. It is gradually rising for next week.

Probably not so gradually. But it's already got to the stage where you physically catch your breath when you first walk outdoors.

I like it, in a semi-masochistic way.
                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 18-06-2017, 06:29. Reason: Repetition

Comment

It feels ridiculous considering what the US South West is going through, but Christ this heat in London is unpleasant. I didn't get to sleep until 3am yesterday, even with the windows open and the fan on full blast.

Comment

117F today. And windy. It was like walking into a full-body hairdryer.

Comment

Stephen Colbert has mentioned the weather here. And in Phoenix, it was so hot that it stopped aeroplanes from flying. Something about air density and height.

Comment

I can feel the furnace outside my window. If I die today, then please chop up my body and feed it to animals, saving the bones to beat Tories to death with.

Comment

Wow, is it still warm in southern England? It's about 17 degrees here and it's been pouring down most of the morning. Not to rub it in or anything.

Comment

Yup, two days ago I was in Scotland with its lovely 19c temperatures and intermittent drizzle. Now I'm back in London, it's 32 degrees outside and even the coolest part of my flat feels like I'm standing too close to a bonfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                      Wow, is it still warm in southern England? It's about 17 degrees here and it's been pouring down most of the morning. Not to rub it in or anything.
                                      Tomorrow could involve a rude awakening. Where I live it's due to drop from 32 to 23 by tomorrow and hit 17 by the weekend.
                                      Last edited by Crusoe; 21-06-2017, 11:31.

Comment

It's due to rain in Manchester over the next few days solely in order that the renderer who's due to do a wall for us on Friday and who needs three consecutive dry days is able to cancel again.

Comment

Tomorrow could involve a rude awakening. Where I live it's due to drop from 32 to 23 by tomorrow and hit 17 by the weekend.
                                          Oh happy day!

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                            It's due to rain in Manchester over the next few days solely in order that the renderer who's due to do a wall for us on Friday and who needs three consecutive dry days is able to cancel again.
                                            The mind boggles as to how any wall in Manchester ever gets rendered.

Comment

Boo! BOOOOOOOOO!!!

Seriously. You lot get 9 months a year when the weather is cold and miserable. I get what, a week of decent heat?

Comment

If London housing had US-style aircon (or even French-style window shutters) as standard, I'd agree that 30c+ temperatures would be nice. As London housing doesn't have these things as standard, anything above 30 is a giant, stinking, sweaty nightmare.

Comment

Still 27 in Merseyside despite a couple of thundershowers. I was enjoying 27 in Cyprus last week when I could sit on my arse and drink Keo, but it's not so much fun when I have to go to work - I don't half sweat under my tits.

Comment

Exactly. 33 degrees in Malta last year was great, when I had the option of wandering about all day in shorts and t-shirt, occasionally taking a break from drinking Cisk by jumping in the sea.

This is just horrible. Leaving work onto a street full of concrete radiators, going home in a glass box full of sweat, then getting home to a flat full of an absence of air.

#firstworldproblems

Comment

Working...
                                                    X